Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fan oven fan failure

On Sunday, October 7, 2012 2:51:05 PM UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Last year I bought a Hotpoint fan oven. A year later the fan in the

oven does not turn and just hums. Hotpoint want �70 for someone to

come and look at it. I think I reported it to them just before the

year's warranty ran out, so I am a bit disappointed that they have not

been more helpful.

It is a shame that the fan has failed after just twelve months. The

oven that it replaced must have been over ten years old and the fan

was still going strong.

If I spin the fan, by spinning the blades with something when the

power is off, when I turn the oven on again, the fan will spin.

What is causing this and what is the solution? Should I just replace

the fan or can the one I have be repaired?

Another, more cosmetic, issue is that the neon (?) light that

illuminates when the oven element is on, has fallen of whatever it is

attached to inside the fascia and the lens has fallen off the

exterior.

I don't know whether this means I have been unlucky or whether it is a

sign of shoddy workmanship? As it happens, this was the second oven

they sent me as the first had the shelves installed at a slope!

I knew when I bought it that Hotpoint was a budget brand, but I could

not see the point of spending �800 on an expensive brand and I could

not afford that either. However I would have expected it to last

better than it has.

Thanks,

Stephen.

The trick is to quote the Act in question. Your contract is with the retailer. Hopefully that'll get it sorted FOC.

If not, if hotpoint was 70 notes for a fan... buy one elsewhere. Its a freeish market.

NT