Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Building Scene

One of the joists which came out of our old kitchen extension had a Building
Scene paper label on it.

Now the name rings a bell but I can't remember if it was a shed like Texas
or a precursor to Jewsons and the like.

GINMF

Anyone remember them?

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2012 12:28, David WE Roberts wrote:
One of the joists which came out of our old kitchen extension had a
Building Scene paper label on it.

Now the name rings a bell but I can't remember if it was a shed like
Texas or a precursor to Jewsons and the like.

GINMF

Anyone remember them?

Erm, no - sorry.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 25/09/2012 12:28, David WE Roberts wrote:
One of the joists which came out of our old kitchen extension had a
Building Scene paper label on it.

Now the name rings a bell but I can't remember if it was a shed like
Texas or a precursor to Jewsons and the like.

GINMF

Anyone remember them?

Erm, no - sorry.

Possibly before your time? ;-)

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" writes:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 25/09/2012 12:28, David WE Roberts wrote:
One of the joists which came out of our old kitchen extension had a
Building Scene paper label on it.

Now the name rings a bell but I can't remember if it was a shed like
Texas or a precursor to Jewsons and the like.

GINMF

Anyone remember them?

Erm, no - sorry.

Possibly before your time? ;-)

I dimly remember them as a shed like Texas, not a proper
merchant.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Fairbairn wrote:
"David WE Roberts" writes:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 25/09/2012 12:28, David WE Roberts wrote:
One of the joists which came out of our old kitchen extension had a
Building Scene paper label on it.

Now the name rings a bell but I can't remember if it was a shed like
Texas or a precursor to Jewsons and the like.

GINMF

Anyone remember them?
Erm, no - sorry.

Possibly before your time? ;-)

I dimly remember them as a shed like Texas, not a proper
merchant.

Me too.

Maybe they morphed into B & Q?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:28:10 PM UTC+1, David WE Roberts wrote:
One of the joists which came out of our old kitchen extension had a Building

Scene paper label on it.

Now the name rings a bell but I can't remember if it was a shed like Texas

or a precursor to Jewsons and the like.

GINMF

Anyone remember them?

Sorry, no.
But anyone remember Unit Sales in Coventry ? There was one near Far Gosford Street and I think another in Holbrooks.
I was wondering who they were associated with.
They seems to be the main Coventry DIY outlet in the 70s and 80s. My dad was always popping over there for nails, paint, etc.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 28, 10:50*am, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:28:10 PM UTC+1, David WE Roberts wrote:
One of the joists which came out of our old kitchen extension had a Building

Scene paper label on it.

Now the name rings a bell but I can't remember if it was a shed like Texas

or a precursor to Jewsons and the like.

GINMF

Anyone remember them?

Sorry, no.
But anyone remember Unit Sales in Coventry ? There was one near Far Gosford Street and I think another in Holbrooks.
I was wondering who they were associated with.
They seems to be the main Coventry DIY outlet in the 70s and 80s. My dad was always popping over there for nails, paint, etc.
Simon.

Lots of local independents all over the country in those days. I
worked for one whilst at school that was bought out by Ripolin but the
plans for world domination came to nought.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lots of local independents all over the country in those days. I
worked for one whilst at school that was bought out by Ripolin but the
plans for world domination came to nought.

my nearest Ripolin is now a Starbucks - says it all, doesn't it.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

Sorry, no.
But anyone remember Unit Sales in Coventry ? There was one near Far Gosford Street and I think another in Holbrooks.
I was wondering who they were associated with.
They seems to be the main Coventry DIY outlet in the 70s and 80s. My dad was always popping over there for nails, paint, etc.
Simon.

When I was building my fruit cage I founds some hinges lurking in a box
in the garage.

They were marked with a little peel and stick label marked 'Catos 3/6d'

That was a hardware shop in the village where I grew up. I think I
bought them there to repair something for my mum about 1967...and they
must have been in a house clearout box I took over when she moved into
care in 2003...

Good hinges.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

Sorry, no. But anyone remember Unit Sales in Coventry ? There was one
near Far Gosford Street and I think another in Holbrooks. I was
wondering who they were associated with. They seems to be the main
Coventry DIY outlet in the 70s and 80s. My dad was always popping over
there for nails, paint, etc. Simon.

When I was building my fruit cage I founds some hinges lurking in a box
in the garage.

They were marked with a little peel and stick label marked 'Catos 3/6d'

That was a hardware shop in the village where I grew up. I think I
bought them there to repair something for my mum about 1967...and they
must have been in a house clearout box I took over when she moved into
care in 2003...

Good hinges.

Catos were taken over by Robert Dyas - at least the bigger branches were.
The manager of the one in our village tried to run as an independant, but
ddin't last long.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:28:01 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

One of the joists which came out of our old kitchen extension had a Building
Scene paper label on it.

Now the name rings a bell but I can't remember if it was a shed like Texas
or a precursor to Jewsons and the like.

GINMF

Anyone remember them?

Like you, I think I came across indications of their presence, perhaps
a label somewhere on a joist.
I'm certain I recall their adverts, possibly in magazines of the
diy/householder persuasion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2012 08:40, David WE Roberts wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 25/09/2012 12:28, David WE Roberts wrote:
One of the joists which came out of our old kitchen extension had a
Building Scene paper label on it.

Now the name rings a bell but I can't remember if it was a shed like
Texas or a precursor to Jewsons and the like.

GINMF

Anyone remember them?

Erm, no - sorry.

Possibly before your time? ;-)

Perhaps - unlikely to have much awareness of retail brands prior to the
early 70's I guess...

Either that, or they were regional.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

Sorry, no.
But anyone remember Unit Sales in Coventry ? There was one near Far
Gosford Street and I think another in Holbrooks.
I was wondering who they were associated with.
They seems to be the main Coventry DIY outlet in the 70s and 80s. My
dad was always popping over there for nails, paint, etc.
Simon.

When I was building my fruit cage I founds some hinges lurking in a box
in the garage.

They were marked with a little peel and stick label marked 'Catos 3/6d'

That was a hardware shop in the village where I grew up. I think I
bought them there to repair something for my mum about 1967...and they
must have been in a house clearout box I took over when she moved into
care in 2003...

Good hinges.

There is still a box of swingline staples in my workshop with a "Birds"
price label on them - that was a little independent hardware shop in
Westcliff that closed decades ago... They seem to be a size of staple
that is never useful!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 25/09/2012 12:28, David WE Roberts wrote:
One of the joists which came out of our old kitchen extension had a
Building Scene paper label on it.

Now the name rings a bell but I can't remember if it was a shed like
Texas or a precursor to Jewsons and the like.

GINMF

Anyone remember them?

Erm, no - sorry.

Possibly before your time? ;-)

Perhaps - unlikely to have much awareness of retail brands
prior to the early 70's I guess...

Either that, or they were regional.

There was one in Cambridge (on Mitchams Corner, where Staples
is now), must have been mid 80s.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 25/09/2012 12:28, David WE Roberts wrote:
One of the joists which came out of our old kitchen extension had a
Building Scene paper label on it.

Now the name rings a bell but I can't remember if it was a shed like
Texas or a precursor to Jewsons and the like.

GINMF

Anyone remember them?
Erm, no - sorry.

Possibly before your time? ;-)

Perhaps - unlikely to have much awareness of retail brands
prior to the early 70's I guess...

Either that, or they were regional.

There was one in Cambridge (on Mitchams Corner, where Staples
is now), must have been mid 80s.

Yes. That's the one I remember.

It wasn't too bad. Basically a shed - usual stuff. Woodchip wallpaper,
packflat bookshelves. Think Ikea.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 25/09/2012 12:28, David WE Roberts wrote:
One of the joists which came out of our old kitchen extension had a
Building Scene paper label on it.

Now the name rings a bell but I can't remember if it was a shed like
Texas or a precursor to Jewsons and the like.

GINMF

Anyone remember them?
Erm, no - sorry.

Possibly before your time? ;-)
Perhaps - unlikely to have much awareness of retail brands
prior to the early 70's I guess...

Either that, or they were regional.

There was one in Cambridge (on Mitchams Corner, where Staples
is now), must have been mid 80s.

Yes. That's the one I remember.

It wasn't too bad. Basically a shed - usual stuff. Woodchip wallpaper,
packflat bookshelves. Think Ikea.

Must have been regional then... I would have remembered it from the 80s

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 25/09/2012 12:28, David WE Roberts wrote:
One of the joists which came out of our old kitchen extension had a
Building Scene paper label on it.

Now the name rings a bell but I can't remember if it was a shed like
Texas or a precursor to Jewsons and the like.

GINMF

Anyone remember them?
Erm, no - sorry.

Possibly before your time? ;-)
Perhaps - unlikely to have much awareness of retail brands
prior to the early 70's I guess...

Either that, or they were regional.

There was one in Cambridge (on Mitchams Corner, where Staples
is now), must have been mid 80s.

Yes. That's the one I remember.

It wasn't too bad. Basically a shed - usual stuff. Woodchip wallpaper,
packflat bookshelves. Think Ikea.

Must have been regional then... I would have remembered it from the 80s

The '80s sounds about right - judging by newspapers and stuff found in the
debris this was when the kitchen extension was done.
As I moved to Felixstowe in the '80s this is probably when I saw the store.
Could have been where Texas was before it morphed into HomeBase.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/2012 15:43, David WE Roberts wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

"John Rumm" wrote in message
[...]

Texas I remember well - it was the first "shed" in our area, and just
about at the time I started more serious DIY... ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.