Heathcliff

Default New to the fireplace scene HELP

Iowa883 wrote:
Ok guys,
We got a new home last Jan. and it has a fireplace in it. I borrowed

handful of split wood from a coworker last winter for a couple of

burns.
Well, this winter I want to split my own wood. Is there any trick to
splitting wood ? Do I go buy and axe or go with a splitting wedge ?

What is
the easiest and is there any tricks ?
Thanks,
Iowa883

The basic tool for splitting firewood by hand is a splitting maul. It
looks like an axe except that the head is thicker. It works much
better than an axe for splitting -- an axe is for cutting, a maul is
for splitting.

If you will have a lot of big pieces of wood, you might also need a
wedge and a sledge hammer. None of these are expensive tools.

Another consideration is where you will be working. You want a stable,
flat surface on which to place the wood to be split, but not one that
will damage the maul when it goes all the way through the wood (e.g.,
not on your concrete driveway). A big stump is ideal. Frozen ground
is OK too. Whatever it is, it will get chewed up. Splitting wood is
kind of violent. Also, make sure there is room overhead, as you will
be swinging the maul overhead, Paul Bunyan-fashion.

If you want to learn lots about firewood, fireplaces, chimneys, etc.,
read the book, "Heating with Wood." I don't recall the author's name,
I'm pretty sure it's a Rodale Press publication.

Iowa883 wrote:
Ok guys,
We got a new home last Jan. and it has a fireplace in it. I borrowed

handful of split wood from a coworker last winter for a couple of

burns.
Well, this winter I want to split my own wood. Is there any trick to
splitting wood ? Do I go buy and axe or go with a splitting wedge ?

What is
the easiest and is there any tricks ?
Thanks,
Iowa883

There are tricks, but they're nowhere as important as the "basics"
IMHO. A few garnered from some seasons of "brutal amusement":

An axe is a cutting tool, _not_ a splitting tool. Used as such it can
inflict grievous injury. A maul is a far better tool for splitting
wood, and I've found that a 6-lb head works much better than 8-lb.
Paul Bunyan might disagree.

Use a big (~2' diam, 2' long) hardwood log set on edge as your anvil,
and practice swinging the maul so that as the head hits the "anvil" the
handle is horizontal. (Saves crushed toes, broken legs, cussing, etc.)
Make sure pets and kids are nowhere near the impact point- fragments
can be thrown violently.

Cut the wood so that pieces sit upright on "anvil" then try to split
along cracks/checks opening in end of pieces as they dry.

Try to get the wood cut & split so that it has at least a full summer
to season & dry, covered above (not on sides) with as much exposure to
summer breezes and sun as possible.

A mix of sizes is preferable to all-same. Smaller ones light better,
larger ones burn longer. Same applies to species of tree.

Wedges are useful for really big pieces. Sometimes it's simpler to
partially rip-cut the piece with chainsaw, especially through knots, to
start a split.

Look into EPA-approved insert or woodstove, mainly for improved
efficiency and reduced wood-consumption. Greatly reduced carcinogen
output will be appreciated by those downwind.

HTH,
John