Heathcliff

Default New to the fireplace scene HELP

Iowa883 wrote:
Ok guys,
We got a new home last Jan. and it has a fireplace in it. I borrowed

handful of split wood from a coworker last winter for a couple of

burns.
Well, this winter I want to split my own wood. Is there any trick to
splitting wood ? Do I go buy and axe or go with a splitting wedge ?

What is
the easiest and is there any tricks ?
Thanks,
Iowa883

The basic tool for splitting firewood by hand is a splitting maul. It
looks like an axe except that the head is thicker. It works much
better than an axe for splitting -- an axe is for cutting, a maul is
for splitting.

If you will have a lot of big pieces of wood, you might also need a
wedge and a sledge hammer. None of these are expensive tools.

Another consideration is where you will be working. You want a stable,
flat surface on which to place the wood to be split, but not one that
will damage the maul when it goes all the way through the wood (e.g.,
not on your concrete driveway). A big stump is ideal. Frozen ground
is OK too. Whatever it is, it will get chewed up. Splitting wood is
kind of violent. Also, make sure there is room overhead, as you will
be swinging the maul overhead, Paul Bunyan-fashion.

If you want to learn lots about firewood, fireplaces, chimneys, etc.,
read the book, "Heating with Wood." I don't recall the author's name,
I'm pretty sure it's a Rodale Press publication.