Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Saw a scary scene today

I was at a closed down factory today. The factory was bought out by a
scrapper. I bought some ironworkers, angle cutters, hoists and such
from him.

One thing that I bought was a 7.5 ton bridge crane (lifting and
runners only, no I-beams).

The crane was about 80 feet wide and they were removing a huge
I-beam that made up the bridge itself.

They were supporting it in the middle with a telehandler. One side was
already cut with oxygen. The worker was cutting another side, standing
on a scissor lift.

When the final cut made through, the beam heaved, rolled off the forks and
fell on the scissor lift. And may I mention that it was a lot larger
than the lift.

Fortunately, it did not fall all the way, it was caught by a chain
from the top of the telehandler boom, and so it rested on top of the
scissor lift. The scissor lift almost toppled and the guy in it
would, no doubt, be in big trouble. After this all ended, he was
laughing hysterically, though it did not seem funny to me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus21436 wrote:

[...]

Some people lack rigging sense and each time they somehow survive their
carelessness it just reinforces the carelessness. Eventually it catches
up with them and they go splat, hopefully without any civilian
casualties.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 23:15:47 -0500, Ignoramus21436
wrote:

[...]

_Not_ an OSHA-controlled dismantling operation, I see. =:0

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Someone got lucky when he rolled the Darwin dice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 08:23:40 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus21436 wrote:

[...]

Yep, its easy to cheat death.

Trouble is, death only has to win once.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus21436 wrote:

[...]

If I may play a devil's advicate for a minute, I must say that this
sort of stuff is naturally a very dangerous business. Doing that work
properly would necessitate bringing in two telehandlers instead of
one, which is, alas, very expensive. I am not advocating any unsafe
things, but I am saying that this is a naturally very dangerous job
that is not easy to make safe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It was gypsy controlled.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If I may play a devil's advicate for a minute, I must say that this
sort of stuff is naturally a very dangerous business. Doing that work
properly would necessitate bringing in two telehandlers instead of
one, which is, alas, very expensive. I am not advocating any unsafe
things, but I am saying that this is a naturally very dangerous job
that is not easy to make safe.

Yep, I'm rigger for a day tommorrow. bet us part timers without good
equipment have even more accidents.

The road trip starts at 0500 getting the kid his first CNC mill.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Yep, I'm rigger for a day tommorrow. bet us part timers without good
equipment have even more accidents.

The road trip starts at 0500 getting the kid his first CNC mill.

Well, they can be top-heavy, just make sure you keep it level and
don't raise any higher than you have to. I've moved my Bridgeport
twice with no oopses.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

After this all ended, he was
laughing hysterically, though it did not seem funny to me.

A friend of mine and myself once did a 360 in a car going 75 MPH. We
hit glare ice on an overpass and the car just lost any friction with
the pavement whatsoever. Fortunately, this was on a divided highway
(so no oncoming traffic) AND we ended up heading in the same direction
as we started when we got to the end of the glare ice (so we didn't
hit dry pavement going sideways and rollover).

We stopped, pulled over onto the shoulder, and began to laugh
hysterically. The laughing part was just a release of incredible
nervous energy I think....same as your rigger guy who just about got
killed.
Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 20:40:49 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 21:51:02 -0500, Ignoramus21660

On 2012-07-19, wrote:
One Feb. morning, on an interchange between two freeways, I looked in
the rear view mirror to see a pickup truck crossing three traffic
lanes and bouncing off the railing multiple times. I gradually eased
off on the gas and managed to keep within my lane markings. From then
on I was a much slower driver.

I find that driving at, or near, the speed limit, is many times safer
than speeding more than 10 MPH above the speed limit. A hge
difference. I just set my cruise control to 61 MPH or some such and
enjoy the ride.

If it were legal, and if the road supported, and if my vehicle could
do it, and if traffic were low, I'd drive 300 mph to my vacation
destination each year.

As it is, I'm happy to travel at 80 mph, right along with the flow of
traffic.

If you're paying attention, driving 120 is no less safe than creeping
along at 61.

I just hope that you guys who like to drive slowly will always keep
yourselves in the far right lane.

IMHO, it's far more dangerous to be driving at a significantly slower
speed than traffic. Higher speeds too, but a bit less so (except Italy
where it's always nerve wracking). In my area that's somewhat above
the posted limit on controlled-access highways, so that's where the
cruise control gets set if traffic is light enough to use it.

I gave it a good try driving at a bit below the speed limit in a heavy
traffic commute situation (when photo radar was tried), and found it
quite nerve-wracking- especially with the heavy truck traffic
overtaking, honking, burping their jake brakes etc. If you stuck to
one of the middle lanes it might be better, but I don't do that if I'm
going slow. It saves gas and doesn't take that much longer, but it's
not worth it IMHO. In an unfamiliar heavily loaded vehicle, that's
another matter. I'd go slow.

I have driven 120-130mph for extended periods of time and I don't
think it's particularly dangerous in relatively light traffic, on dry
roads and in the daytime (assuming you have a good car in top
condition). Of course I would not do that in North America! You do
have to pay a bit more attention- there's 4x as much energy to get
dissipate to come to a stop from 130mph than there is from 65mph.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 19, 10:22*am, Spehro Pefhany

IMHO, it's far more dangerous to be driving at a significantly slower
speed than traffic. Higher speeds too, but a bit less so (except Italy
where it's always nerve wracking). In my area that's *somewhat above
the posted limit on controlled-access highways, so that's where the
cruise control gets set if traffic is light enough to use it.

I try to stay in between clumps of cars and/or trucks. Which means I
drive at the same speed as most of the traffic on the road.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 11, 11:15*pm, Ignoramus21436 ignoramus21...@NOSPAM.
21436.invalid wrote:
[...]

I am glad that no one died.

If someone had and you were the proud owner of the item being worked
on, would you have been held legally and financially accountable?

If so, there goes any profit from the auction.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-07-19, wrote:
One Feb. morning, on an interchange between two freeways, I looked in
the rear view mirror to see a pickup truck crossing three traffic
lanes and bouncing off the railing multiple times. I gradually eased
off on the gas and managed to keep within my lane markings. From then
on I was a much slower driver.

For the rest of that trip particularly on overpasses.

[...]

---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-07-19, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
IMHO, it's far more dangerous to be driving at a significantly slower
speed than traffic.

What exactly is "significant"?

Is your opinion based on any facts?

I usually drive a bit above the speed limit, but slower than other
vehicles, and I find it nearly bulletproof safe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 22:27:15 -0500, the renowned Ignoramus29469

On 2012-07-19, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
IMHO, it's far more dangerous to be driving at a significantly slower
speed than traffic.

What exactly is "significant"?

Such that lots and lots of cars are passing you, and you're in each
other's blind spots all the time. When few are passing and you're
passing few there are fewer lane changes and fewer chances for
problems. If you're passing almost everyone you don't need to worry
much about anything behind you unless it has a flashing light on top.

Is your opinion based on any facts?

Just the memory of close calls (i.e. experience). Not all the other
guy's fault either.

I usually drive a bit above the speed limit, but slower than other
vehicles, and I find it nearly bulletproof safe.

Accidents are fairly rare on superhighways in any case. Cyclists
(especially the criminally insane bicycle couriers) and pedestrians
(including bums and squeegee punks) and the zillions of reckless taxi
cabs make for more trouble. Speed in that case is not usually limited
by the posted speed limit.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My late FIL was legendary in figuring out stuff on the fly. We got off a
job in Venice, LA, and had to make it back to Lafayette, LA. On the way,
there are several long tall Interstate bridges. It was all icy out, an
unusual condition in southern LA. He would take a run at the bridge, and
when he barely made it to the top, he would put it in reverse, and feather
the gas to use the towing vehicle as a brake. Made it over four or five big
tall long gradual bridges doing that.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-07-20, Steve B wrote:
My late FIL was legendary in figuring out stuff on the fly. We got off a
job in Venice, LA, and had to make it back to Lafayette, LA. On the way,
there are several long tall Interstate bridges. It was all icy out, an
unusual condition in southern LA. He would take a run at the bridge, and
when he barely made it to the top, he would put it in reverse, and feather
the gas to use the towing vehicle as a brake. Made it over four or five big
tall long gradual bridges doing that.

Reminds me of a curve on the way from work. It passed a
junkyard at the time, and was rather steeply banked. When we had lots
of ice on the road (typical of where I worked. Lots of "Don't go home
yet" as it fell, followed by a "No sane man should be on the roads. Go
home!"), I would wait as those ahead of me would, driving very
carefully, slide off the road to the shoulder on the downhill side.
Once the way was clear, I would accelerate (it was an MGA FWIW) until I
entered the curve at a speed appropriate for the amount of banking, and
smoothly go around the curve. Not too far past that was the entrance to
the big highway, which took me most of the way home. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 20 Jul 2012 20:42:28 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

On 2012-07-20, Steve B wrote:
[...]

A man after me own heart! Achieving the proper velocity to negate the
4-wheel drift was superb, centripetally speaking. I did the opposite
in my Javelin, finding the proper speed to put it into a perfect
4-wheel drift to center myself on the circular on-ramp, then I'd have
to slow down for the freeway. Proving my prowess to Mom and my sister
one day turned out badly. My mother got over it, but sis was in tears
by the time we hit the freeway about 15 seconds later. It turns out
that she remembered a car crash and hated squealing tires, even though
this was perfectly controlled. Sest lavvy, wot?

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2012-07-20, Steve B wrote:
[...]

My last day driving big rigs, ...... I got in two accidents. One where I
was turning left onto A T. A lady in a Caddy was at the T, stopped turning
left. She was adjusting her eyelashes in the rearview mirror. She rolled
out, and my rear wheels on my flatbed did a number on the front of her
Caddy. Then, I was late, so had to hustle. Went to Intracoastal City,
about fifty miles away. Coming back with two 10,000# Danforth anchors and
two Detroit skid mounted pumps. Sweeping left hand curve. Right rear
wheels on flat blew.

I grabbed the Hail Mary brake and came down softly, trying to keep it in
some sort of straight line. Through the Gradall ditch on the side of the
road. Through the barbed wire. Through some ancient barn, expecting to
have live chickens tossed around the cab. Finally came to a rest with
barnwood sticking in windshield.

Took four winch trucks to get me out, as they had to go into the swale
across the road to get any bite to winch me out. By now, everyone at the
office was there to see the falderal. Told Brian, my boss, to drive it
home, as I was done with trucking for a while. Went to the office the next
day, and said I wanted to go offshore, and that same day was sent out for a
six month stretch.

Sometimes, you hit it just right, and sometimes not. The flying barnwood is
still etched in my mind in slow motion. Still waiting for the chickens.

Steve