Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Saw a scary scene today

I was at a closed down factory today. The factory was bought out by a
scrapper. I bought some ironworkers, angle cutters, hoists and such
from him.

One thing that I bought was a 7.5 ton bridge crane (lifting and
runners only, no I-beams).

The crane was about 80 feet wide and they were removing a huge
I-beam that made up the bridge itself.

They were supporting it in the middle with a telehandler. One side was
already cut with oxygen. The worker was cutting another side, standing
on a scissor lift.

When the final cut made through, the beam heaved, rolled off the forks and
fell on the scissor lift. And may I mention that it was a lot larger
than the lift.

Fortunately, it did not fall all the way, it was caught by a chain
from the top of the telehandler boom, and so it rested on top of the
scissor lift. The scissor lift almost toppled and the guy in it
would, no doubt, be in big trouble. After this all ended, he was
laughing hysterically, though it did not seem funny to me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus21436 wrote:

[...]

Some people lack rigging sense and each time they somehow survive their
carelessness it just reinforces the carelessness. Eventually it catches
up with them and they go splat, hopefully without any civilian
casualties.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 08:23:40 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus21436 wrote:

[...]

Yep, its easy to cheat death.

Trouble is, death only has to win once.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus21436 wrote:

[...]

If I may play a devil's advicate for a minute, I must say that this
sort of stuff is naturally a very dangerous business. Doing that work
properly would necessitate bringing in two telehandlers instead of
one, which is, alas, very expensive. I am not advocating any unsafe
things, but I am saying that this is a naturally very dangerous job
that is not easy to make safe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If I may play a devil's advicate for a minute, I must say that this
sort of stuff is naturally a very dangerous business. Doing that work
properly would necessitate bringing in two telehandlers instead of
one, which is, alas, very expensive. I am not advocating any unsafe
things, but I am saying that this is a naturally very dangerous job
that is not easy to make safe.

Yep, I'm rigger for a day tommorrow. bet us part timers without good
equipment have even more accidents.

The road trip starts at 0500 getting the kid his first CNC mill.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Yep, I'm rigger for a day tommorrow. bet us part timers without good
equipment have even more accidents.

The road trip starts at 0500 getting the kid his first CNC mill.

Well, they can be top-heavy, just make sure you keep it level and
don't raise any higher than you have to. I've moved my Bridgeport
twice with no oopses.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 23:15:47 -0500, Ignoramus21436
wrote:

[...]

_Not_ an OSHA-controlled dismantling operation, I see. =:0

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Someone got lucky when he rolled the Darwin dice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It was gypsy controlled.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

After this all ended, he was
laughing hysterically, though it did not seem funny to me.

A friend of mine and myself once did a 360 in a car going 75 MPH. We
hit glare ice on an overpass and the car just lost any friction with
the pavement whatsoever. Fortunately, this was on a divided highway
(so no oncoming traffic) AND we ended up heading in the same direction
as we started when we got to the end of the glare ice (so we didn't
hit dry pavement going sideways and rollover).

We stopped, pulled over onto the shoulder, and began to laugh
hysterically. The laughing part was just a release of incredible
nervous energy I think....same as your rigger guy who just about got
killed.
Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 11, 11:15*pm, Ignoramus21436 ignoramus21...@NOSPAM.
21436.invalid wrote:
[...]

I am glad that no one died.

If someone had and you were the proud owner of the item being worked
on, would you have been held legally and financially accountable?

If so, there goes any profit from the auction.

TMT