Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another oops to amuse you.....

I don't know if I told you but I have a graphics card that's out of warranty and stopped working.
Well I checked for swollen or burst capacitors, there weren't any.
So as a last resort I tried the bake in the oven method to reflow the solder.
9 minutes at 196C as advised.
The solder didn't appear to have melted, and the card remained inoperative.
Perhaps my oven thermostat is inaccurate? Try hotter!
Max - 240C.
BANG! Now I've got burst capacitors. All over the oven.
I shall refrain from reinserting it into the computer.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A man goes into a library and asks for a book on suicide.
The librarian says, "**** off, you won't bring it back!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have thought this outcome was pretty obvious. think about the soldering.
When its done its fast and localised to the parts needed to be soldered. One
cannot heat the whole card up and expect it to survive.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.wishsjapytk5n5@i7-940...
I don't know if I told you but I have a graphics card that's out of
warranty and stopped working.
Well I checked for swollen or burst capacitors, there weren't any.
So as a last resort I tried the bake in the oven method to reflow the
solder.
9 minutes at 196C as advised.
The solder didn't appear to have melted, and the card remained
inoperative.
Perhaps my oven thermostat is inaccurate? Try hotter!
Max - 240C.
BANG! Now I've got burst capacitors. All over the oven.
I shall refrain from reinserting it into the computer.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A man goes into a library and asks for a book on suicide.
The librarian says, "**** off, you won't bring it back!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2012 08:43, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'd have thought this outcome was pretty obvious. think about the soldering.
When its done its fast and localised to the parts needed to be soldered. One
cannot heat the whole card up and expect it to survive.

Brian

I'm sure the Lt. realises that now, but there we all have 20/20 hind sight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2012 08:43, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'd have thought this outcome was pretty obvious. think about the soldering.
When its done its fast and localised to the parts needed to be soldered. One
cannot heat the whole card up and expect it to survive.

Brian

I fixed a terminal laptop with 8 minutes at 180 (just the motherboard).
Googling showed that a common fault was overheating GPU causing solder
coming unstuck. Early attempts with a blowlamp didn't work, but the oven
cured it.

Reassembled with a bit more pressure on the heatsink :-)

--
Pete
Lose (rhymes with fuse) is a verb, the opposite of find. Loose (rhymes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-09 20:58:57 +0100, Lieutenant Scott said:

So as a last resort I tried the bake in the oven method to reflow the solder.
9 minutes at 196C as advised.

Talking of kitchen appliances, I tried cleaning a keyboard that had
not-working keys by giving it a good going over in the dishwasher. I
got a spakling clean keyboard but it still didn't work.

E.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 8:58*pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
I don't know if I told you but I have a graphics card that's out of warranty and stopped working.
Well I checked for swollen or burst capacitors, there weren't any.
So as a last resort I tried the bake in the oven method to reflow the solder.
9 minutes at 196C as advised.

Advised by who, FFS?

Reflow needs a short preheat, and an even shorter pulse of maximum
temp, othrewise you will just destroy the components.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Man at B&Q wrote:
Reflow needs a short preheat, and an even shorter pulse of maximum
temp, othrewise you will just destroy the components.

So isn't really possible at home? Or could it be done with two ovens? And
at what temps? I have a decent probe so could set them quite accurately.

I've got a graphics card which is also intermittent, so wouldn't mind
having a try.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:20:30 +0100, eastender wrote:
Talking of kitchen appliances, I tried cleaning a keyboard that had
not-working keys by giving it a good going over in the dishwasher. I got
a spakling clean keyboard but it still didn't work.

Usually[1] down to impurities/residue in the water/cleaning solution.
Splitting things down into component parts, cleaning, then rinsing with
distilled water and drying immediately helps a lot.

Beware of liquid getting trapped under ICs, too. Blowing accumulated
moisture from PCBs with compressed air or bunging in the airing cupboard
for a few days is usually a good plan.

[1] although modern keyboards usually use a flexible plastic membrane for
the key switch matrix; it's not impossible for one of the tracks on the
membrane to break (people who owned Sinclair Spectrums back in the day
may remember that fault, too!), which will also yield various (and
perhaps bizarre) combinations of non-working keys.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 12:20*pm, eastender wrote:

Talking of kitchen appliances, I tried cleaning a keyboard that had
not-working keys by giving it a good going over in the dishwasher. I
got a spakling clean keyboard but it still didn't work.

Mate of mine tried that and got a sparkling clean keyboard that worked
perfectly.

Bit hard to type on all those unlabelled keys, mind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 1:26*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Reflow needs a short preheat, and an even shorter pulse of maximum
temp, othrewise you will just destroy the components.

So isn't really possible at home?

eBay, China, buy yourself a surface mount workstation. Surprisingly
cheap these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Man at B&Q wrote:
Reflow needs a short preheat, and an even shorter pulse of maximum
temp, othrewise you will just destroy the components.

So isn't really possible at home? Or could it be done with two ovens? And
at what temps? I have a decent probe so could set them quite accurately.

I've got a graphics card which is also intermittent, so wouldn't mind
having a try.

The "proper" fix is to reball the GPU, but that requires a bit more
equipment. The simpler (but less good) fix is to just reflow it.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...air#Re-balling

You can get proper SMD IR stations from ebay for about £160. That
includes a tempering platform to pre-heat the board, and then a IR lamp
that you can position and focus on the device in question (foil tape /
baking foil can be used to screen adjacent parts.

The cruder solution it to reflow with hot air - either a proper SMD
rework air system (CPC £70), or even just a paint stripper gun can be
used. These methods are less precise, and more likely to stress the
board. However with care you can pre-heat the board a bit by using more
distance and playing the air stream over the board (or just a few mins
in a 100 degree oven), then moving in for the reheat on the device.

I have successfully reflowed an HP laptop with nVidea GPU problem using
nothing more than a paint stripper and a few layers of tin foil.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:

Reflow needs a short preheat, and an even shorter pulse of maximum
temp, othrewise you will just destroy the components.

So isn't really possible at home?

eBay, China, buy yourself a surface mount workstation. Surprisingly
cheap these days.

I've already got one. But that doesn't preheat the board and re-flow
everything in one go.

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:

Reflow needs a short preheat, and an even shorter pulse of maximum
temp, othrewise you will just destroy the components.

So isn't really possible at home?

eBay, China, buy yourself a surface mount workstation. Surprisingly
cheap these days.

I've already got one. But that doesn't preheat the board and re-flow
everything in one go.

You generally don't want to reflow everything in one go other than
during initial assembly (where the toaster over techniques work well
since you can do that before fitting anything temperature sensitive to
the board). So general tempering and then targeted IR or hot air is what
usually works.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:43:22 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'd have thought this outcome was pretty obvious. think about the soldering.
When its done its fast and localised to the parts needed to be soldered. One
cannot heat the whole card up and expect it to survive.

It is stated on the internet that several people managed it. However the original fault of mine was unknown.

I thought professionally it was still with the whole thing in an oven, perhaps faster though.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Thank you velly much. I'm not Wan King the chef, I'm Fu King the owner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-09 20:58:57 +0100, Lieutenant Scott said:

So as a last resort I tried the bake in the oven method to reflow the solder.
9 minutes at 196C as advised.

Talking of kitchen appliances, I tried cleaning a keyboard that had
not-working keys by giving it a good going over in the dishwasher. I
got a spakling clean keyboard but it still didn't work.

A drunk apparently once fixed a motherboard they'd spilt beer on by washing it in the bath. The board functioned fine.

I spilt water on mine once (leaky watercooler). I simply dried it out and it still worked.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

As they say at Microsoft - "What do you want to reinstall today?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.addictivetips.com/hardwar...aking-in-oven/

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newsp.wit3uwu2ytk5n5@i7-940...
wrote:

I'd have thought this outcome was pretty obvious. think about the
soldering.
When its done its fast and localised to the parts needed to be soldered.
One
cannot heat the whole card up and expect it to survive.

It is stated on the internet that several people managed it. However the
original fault of mine was unknown.

I thought professionally it was still with the whole thing in an oven,
perhaps faster though.

Its relatively easy if you have access to a vapour phase soldering bath.
They don't take anywhere near 9 minutes and you don't fit your through hole
din edge connectors, etc. first as they tend to melt.
They are usually flow soldered afterwards.

I have a broken Nvidia GPU on a Samsung laptop to fix so I may get the
daughters hot air craft gun on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article op.wit3wpnmytk5n5@i7-940,
Lieutenant Scott wrote:
A drunk apparently once fixed a motherboard they'd spilt beer on by
washing it in the bath. The board functioned fine.

Standard practice. Just rinse well and dry gently before applying power. A
couple of days in the airing cupboard is best.

--
*One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'd have thought this outcome was pretty obvious. think about the
soldering.
When its done its fast and localised to the parts needed to be soldered.
One
cannot heat the whole card up and expect it to survive.

It is stated on the internet that several people managed it. However the
original fault of mine was unknown.

I thought professionally it was still with the whole thing in an oven,
perhaps faster though.

Its relatively easy if you have access to a vapour phase soldering bath.
They don't take anywhere near 9 minutes and you don't fit your through hole
din edge connectors, etc. first as they tend to melt.
They are usually flow soldered afterwards.

I have a broken Nvidia GPU on a Samsung laptop to fix so I may get the
daughters hot air craft gun on it.

This was a Nvidia aswell. It broke when it reached the low 90s C when in use (poor cooling design by Inno3D). Radeons don't break like that. They run at 100C for hours without breaking, they just start making graphical errors. Why can't they make them with a thermal throttle like the Intel processors?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

My nVidia GPU has a thermal throttle at 125°C. The value doesn't
appear to be configurable (at least, not via the GUI).

It normally ran at 47°C, but the fan is now knackered and it climbs
to 65°C every few months, until I pull the fan apart and clean out
the bearing again, and then it's back down to 47°C until next time.

I've bought a replacement card, but the driver doesn't like it.
Haven't got around to updating the driver yet.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2012 08:43, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'd have thought this outcome was pretty obvious. think about the soldering.
When its done its fast and localised to the parts needed to be soldered. One
cannot heat the whole card up and expect it to survive.

Brian

Modern, surface mount components can actually be glued in place with a
solder paste and then the whole board heated to melt it. You can buy
special ovens for doing it or convert an ordinary worktop oven with
external control to ramp and hold the temperature at controlled rates.
It would not therefore be suprising that a fix might work by baking the
board in an ordinary oven, however the poor control may well damage
components unless you are lucky.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

At 125C it would probably break first. That is an absolutely stupid throttle level.

My Intel processors have always throttled at 95-100C. My AMD GPU makes mistakes at 100C. My Nvidia GPU broke at 95C. There is no way 125C is good for your GPU.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

What do you call it when a blonde drives down the street with her head out the window?
Refueling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message op.wishsjapytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
writes
I don't know if I told you but I have a graphics card that's out of
warranty and stopped working.
Well I checked for swollen or burst capacitors, there weren't any.
So as a last resort I tried the bake in the oven method to reflow the solder.
9 minutes at 196C as advised.
The solder didn't appear to have melted, and the card remained inoperative.
Perhaps my oven thermostat is inaccurate? Try hotter!
Max - 240C.
BANG! Now I've got burst capacitors. All over the oven.
I shall refrain from reinserting it into the computer.

I think you should refrain from going near anything other than wax
crayons

hang on ... 200C?

Perhaps those as well

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article
,
Man at B&Q wrote:
Reflow needs a short preheat, and an even shorter pulse of maximum
temp, othrewise you will just destroy the components.

So isn't really possible at home? Or could it be done with two ovens? And
at what temps? I have a decent probe so could set them quite accurately.

I've got a graphics card which is also intermittent, so wouldn't mind
having a try.

Clue ...

See what temperature your electrolytic capacitors are spec'd to

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 12:13:37 +0100, geoff wrote:

[...]

I was doing some remolishments to my house the other day and accidentally defurbished it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message op.wivpgkz3ytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
writes
[...]

Must be true, its on the internet

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 22:48:45 +0100, geoff wrote:

[...]

If it was false there would be contradictory articles.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Joey's teacher sent a note home to his Mother saying, "Joey seems to be a very bright boy, but spends too much of his time thinking about sex and girls."
The Mother wrote back the next day, "If you find a solution, please advise. I have the same problem with his Father."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2012 23:06, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
[...]

Its not false, but it is poor practice.

Using a pre-heated oven is also likely to exceed the component
temperature maximum slew rates. Most components will not only have a
maximum temperature, but also a max temperature rate of change specified
(e.g. 4 deg C per sec). This applies bit on heating and cooling.
Exceeding that can stress them and lead to premature failures. That's
without the problems of exceeding the maximum temperature limits for the
larger discrete components.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 23:17:39 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

[...]

It's probably the best that can be done with domestic appliances though.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message op.wiwc1r11ytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
writes
[...]

http://www.addictivetips.com/hardwar...card-by-baking
-in-oven/

Must be true, its on the internet

If it was false there would be contradictory articles.

You could write one, couldn't you

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 23:34:04 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message op.wiwc1r11ytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
writes
On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 22:48:45 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message op.wivpgkz3ytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
writes
On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 12:13:37 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message op.wishsjapytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
writes

I think you should refrain from going near anything other than wax
crayons

hang on ... 200C?

Perhaps those as well

http://www.addictivetips.com/hardwar...card-by-baking
-in-oven/

Must be true, its on the internet

If it was false there would be contradictory articles.

You could write one, couldn't you

Yes, when trying to fix a fault likely to be completely unrelated to solder joints, in an old Indesit oven, this method goes wrong.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a dustcart reversing.