Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Another oops to amuse you.....

In article
,
Man at B&Q wrote:
Reflow needs a short preheat, and an even shorter pulse of maximum
temp, othrewise you will just destroy the components.

So isn't really possible at home? Or could it be done with two ovens? And
at what temps? I have a decent probe so could set them quite accurately.

I've got a graphics card which is also intermittent, so wouldn't mind
having a try.

The "proper" fix is to reball the GPU, but that requires a bit more
equipment. The simpler (but less good) fix is to just reflow it.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...air#Re-balling

You can get proper SMD IR stations from ebay for about £160. That
includes a tempering platform to pre-heat the board, and then a IR lamp
that you can position and focus on the device in question (foil tape /
baking foil can be used to screen adjacent parts.

The cruder solution it to reflow with hot air - either a proper SMD
rework air system (CPC £70), or even just a paint stripper gun can be
used. These methods are less precise, and more likely to stress the
board. However with care you can pre-heat the board a bit by using more
distance and playing the air stream over the board (or just a few mins
in a 100 degree oven), then moving in for the reheat on the device.

I have successfully reflowed an HP laptop with nVidea GPU problem using
nothing more than a paint stripper and a few layers of tin foil.

--
Cheers,

John.