Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Parker Knoll Recliner

I have an old recliner that we could get re-upholstered - but the mechanism
has become a little dodgy. If anyone sits down and leans back a little
vigerously then the chair will recline. (Quite embarrassing as it is
usually an elderly person that gets caught out!).As new it needed quite a
deliberate action.
It is a N30 Model. The upholster firm will not touch the mechanism. I
wondered if anyone has any tips?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
I have an old recliner that we could get re-upholstered - but the mechanism
has become a little dodgy. If anyone sits down and leans back a little
vigerously then the chair will recline. (Quite embarrassing as it is
usually an elderly person that gets caught out!).As new it needed quite a
deliberate action.
It is a N30 Model. The upholster firm will not touch the mechanism. I
wondered if anyone has any tips?

Find out which part of the mechanism is responsible for the latching
action and fix it. This is the DIY group after all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 18:56:25 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

I have an old recliner that we could get re-upholstered - but the mechanism
has become a little dodgy. If anyone sits down and leans back a little
vigerously then the chair will recline. (Quite embarrassing as it is
usually an elderly person that gets caught out!).As new it needed quite a
deliberate action.
It is a N30 Model. The upholster firm will not touch the mechanism. I
wondered if anyone has any tips?

Get this design embroidered into the new upholstery?
http://tinyurl.com/cuekzyz

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have an old recliner that we could get re-upholstered - but the
mechanism
has become a little dodgy. If anyone sits down and leans back a little
vigerously then the chair will recline. (Quite embarrassing as it is
usually an elderly person that gets caught out!).As new it needed quite
deliberate action.
It is a N30 Model. The upholster firm will not touch the mechanism. I
wondered if anyone has any tips?

Get this design embroidered into the new upholstery?
http://tinyurl.com/cuekzyz

Nick

As this is a DIY group, embroider it yourself (the OP, that is)? There are
some stonking embroidery machines out there with some pretty decent
software if you look hard enough. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Find out which part of the mechanism is responsible for the latching
action and fix it. This is the DIY group after all.

I thought it was also a forum for sharing knowldge. Hsaving looked, there
doesn't seem to be a latch or detent. I think something merely goes 'over-
centre'.
Hoped that someone had tried to fix this and wanted to share their
experience. It is fairly difficult to see how the parts react with each
other when it is turned over. Perhaps I need a 4-post lift!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

Find out which part of the mechanism is responsible for the latching
action and fix it. This is the DIY group after all.

I thought it was also a forum for sharing knowldge. Hsaving looked, there
doesn't seem to be a latch or detent. I think something merely goes 'over-
centre'.
Hoped that someone had tried to fix this and wanted to share their
experience. It is fairly difficult to see how the parts react with each
other when it is turned over. Perhaps I need a 4-post lift!

Maybe my reply was a little blunt in retrospect. Sorry I don't have
explicit knowledge to share on this.

Over centre mechanisms don't necessarily offer stiffness of movement but
they do rely on precise distances between pivot points to get the
required action.
Maybe these have worn. If they are rivet joints maybe further peening
over of the rivets might expand the rivet body to remove slack in a pivot?
Would fitting a spring somewhere restore the correct feel to the action?

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:56:25 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have an old recliner that we could get re-upholstered - but the mechanism
has become a little dodgy. If anyone sits down and leans back a little
vigerously then the chair will recline. (Quite embarrassing as it is
usually an elderly person that gets caught out!).As new it needed quite a
deliberate action.
It is a N30 Model. The upholster firm will not touch the mechanism. I
wondered if anyone has any tips?

I have no specific knowledge of this chair but some of the recliners I've seen have something analogous to a friction damper in the mechanism - if there was something like this maybe the friction pads have become worn or the mechanism loose?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 08:22:51 GMT
DerbyBorn wrote:

Find out which part of the mechanism is responsible for the
latching action and fix it. This is the DIY group after all.

I thought it was also a forum for sharing knowldge. Hsaving looked,
there doesn't seem to be a latch or detent. I think something merely
goes 'over- centre'.
Hoped that someone had tried to fix this and wanted to share their
experience. It is fairly difficult to see how the parts react with
each other when it is turned over. Perhaps I need a 4-post lift!

There is a TV commercial for something that shows a guy working
underneath his sofa, with light and tools.
The fact that I can't remember what it is advertising shows how useless
it is.
--
Davey.

Can I Convert a electric recliner chair to manual recliner? Mick. UK diy 38 May 16th 21 07:46 AM
La-Z-Boy Recliner gcotterl Home Repair 7 March 18th 19 10:30 PM
Recliner mechanism gary Home Repair 1 April 22nd 12 03:42 PM
Recliner footrest gcotterl Home Repair 4 October 31st 11 06:50 AM
Recliner problem gcotterl Home Repair 1 August 29th 11 03:39 AM