Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recliner footrest

I have a recliner -- it may be a Barcalounger although the label says
the recliner was manufactured by a different company.

The footrest goes down normally but it then extends out all by itself,
creating a tripping hazard.

How can fix the recliner so the footrest remains down until I pull the
handle at the side of the recliner to extend the footrest?
Posted to alt.home.repair

gcotterl wrote:
I have a recliner -- it may be a Barcalounger although the label says
the recliner was manufactured by a different company.

The footrest goes down normally but it then extends out all by itself,
creating a tripping hazard.

How can fix the recliner so the footrest remains down until I pull the
handle at the side of the recliner to extend the footrest?

Hi,
Please lay it side ways and have a look at the mechanism. May be it's
pretty worn or weakened spring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

gcotterl wrote:

The footrest goes down normally but it then extends out all by
itself,

Did the recliner do this when it was new? Is it supposed to do this?

How can fix the recliner so the footrest remains down until I pull
the handle at the side of the recliner to extend the footrest?

You are the only one here in a position to examine the mechanism and
figure out how it works and effect a repair or modify it to suit your
needs.

Unless you post some very well-photographed pictures or create some
engineering diagrams showing how the unit is constructed, we can do very
little for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 10:16*am, gcotterl wrote:
I have a recliner -- it may be a Barcalounger although the label says
the recliner was manufactured by a different company.

The footrest goes down normally but it then extends out all by itself,
creating a tripping hazard.

How can fix the recliner so the footrest remains down until I pull the
handle at the side of the recliner to extend the footrest?

Find a similar-looking unit, turn it over and see how it is supposed
to look, take some photos and then go home and figure out what is
wrong with your unit. Sounds likke a broken spring as others have
suggested.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 08:16:25 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl
wrote:

I have a recliner -- it may be a Barcalounger although the label says
the recliner was manufactured by a different company.

The footrest goes down normally but it then extends out all by itself,
creating a tripping hazard.

How can fix the recliner so the footrest remains down until I pull the
handle at the side of the recliner to extend the footrest?

Many recliners have a friction gizmo you can tighten to make it so the
mechanism can't move so easily that it won't stay in position. Flip
yours over and see if there is one, or more likely, two wing nuts you
can tighten a little so it stays in the position it's supposed to stay
in.

Can I Convert a electric recliner chair to manual recliner? Mick. UK diy 38 May 16th 21 07:46 AM
Repairing worn out recliner footrest mechanism Daryl Helwig Home Repair 7 November 6th 19 01:44 AM
La-Z-Boy Recliner gcotterl Home Repair 7 March 18th 19 10:30 PM
Recliner lubrication Jim S UK diy 8 November 2nd 10 07:45 PM
ROCKING FOOTREST J T Woodworking 0 February 27th 06 03:47 PM