Daryl Helwig

Default Repairing worn out recliner footrest mechanism

The mechanism for my recliners footrest is worn out. I'm talking about
the metel bars that form a scissor or acordian type of configuration.
Where the rods are riveted together, the holes are worn and the rivets
are very sloppy. So now the footrest does not lock back into the down
position.

Question...Are these mechanisms replaceable? Has anyone repaired the
metalwork by welding the holes shut and then redrilling and
reriveting?
I think this could be done but I wonder if accuracy when redrilling
the rivet holes is a highly critical item.

Come on guys...I can't afford another recliner sofa. This thing has to
be repairable.
jim

Daryl Helwig wrote:

The mechanism for my recliners footrest is worn out. I'm talking about
the metel bars that form a scissor or acordian type of configuration.
Where the rods are riveted together, the holes are worn and the rivets
are very sloppy. So now the footrest does not lock back into the down
position.

Question...Are these mechanisms replaceable? Has anyone repaired the
metalwork by welding the holes shut and then redrilling and
reriveting?
I think this could be done but I wonder if accuracy when redrilling
the rivet holes is a highly critical item.

Come on guys...I can't afford another recliner sofa. This thing has to
be repairable.

if they have holes for rivets then dont fill them up with welding.. just
cut the old rivets out and then put some new ones in.. if you cant find
any then you might be able to use some bolts and nuts... just cut off
any extra bolt sticking out into the path of the metal that it is
blocking or look at the trash piles and see if someone through one out
and use the metal off that one to replace yours... if that dont work it
might be time to throw your out with the others...
Ermalina

Daryl Helwig wrote:

The mechanism for my recliners footrest is worn out. I'm talking about
the metel bars that form a scissor or acordian type of configuration.
Where the rods are riveted together, the holes are worn and the rivets
are very sloppy. So now the footrest does not lock back into the down
position.

Question...Are these mechanisms replaceable? Has anyone repaired the
metalwork by welding the holes shut and then redrilling and
reriveting?
I think this could be done but I wonder if accuracy when redrilling
the rivet holes is a highly critical item.

Come on guys...I can't afford another recliner sofa. This thing has to
be repairable.

If it's a Barcalounger, you can get the entire replacement mechanism
free; though I'm not sure they will pay for its installation. Maybe it's
the same with other manufacturers.

I have a beloved 25 year old Barcalounger whose reclining mechanism was
rather "broken", due to heavy use and maybe just a bit of abuse. I
contacted the dealer I bought the chair from. He told me the mechanism
is guaranteed for life and contacted the manufacturer who sent a new
mechanism. When I had the chair reupholstered, the upholsterer installed
the new mechanism and the chair is like new.
ChairMan

In om,
Daryl Helwig spewed forth and said:
The mechanism for my recliners footrest is worn out. I'm talking about
the metel bars that form a scissor or acordian type of configuration.
Where the rods are riveted together, the holes are worn and the rivets
are very sloppy. So now the footrest does not lock back into the down
position.

Question...Are these mechanisms replaceable? Has anyone repaired the
metalwork by welding the holes shut and then redrilling and
reriveting?
I think this could be done but I wonder if accuracy when redrilling
the rivet holes is a highly critical item.

Come on guys...I can't afford another recliner sofa. This thing has to
be repairable.

Get a replacement from the manufacterer. Once they wear out, there's not
much you can do with them.

mark Ransley

Get a dog and get off your fat ass and go for a walk you are too fat,
as everyone says, fatso

Rich

Daryl Helwig wrote, wondering if this is really what he meant?

The mechanism for my recliners footrest is worn out. I'm talking about
the metel bars that form a scissor or acordian type of configuration.
Where the rods are riveted together, the holes are worn and the rivets
are very sloppy. So now the footrest does not lock back into the down
position.

Question...Are these mechanisms replaceable? Has anyone repaired the
metalwork by welding the holes shut and then redrilling and
reriveting?
I think this could be done but I wonder if accuracy when redrilling
the rivet holes is a highly critical item.

Come on guys...I can't afford another recliner sofa. This thing has to
be repairable.

who makes it? Try the manufacture of the chair. Get a hold of your nearest
reupholster and see if he has any clues.

--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK.

donald girod

Drill out the holes oversize to fit a standard bolt, and reassemble with
bolts. However, if the bolt head and nut cause clearance problems, this
isn't going to work. Oversize holes and larger rivets will work too, but it
is harder to rivet things than bolt them.

"Daryl Helwig" wrote in message
om...
The mechanism for my recliners footrest is worn out. I'm talking about
the metel bars that form a scissor or acordian type of configuration.
Where the rods are riveted together, the holes are worn and the rivets
are very sloppy. So now the footrest does not lock back into the down
position.

Question...Are these mechanisms replaceable? Has anyone repaired the
metalwork by welding the holes shut and then redrilling and
reriveting?
I think this could be done but I wonder if accuracy when redrilling
the rivet holes is a highly critical item.

Come on guys...I can't afford another recliner sofa. This thing has to
be repairable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Daryl Helwig, John Hodges wrote:
Yes repair it . I used door pin bushings for a car in the hole that was worn
and drilled it with a step bit about 3/8 in . but the hole in them are 5/16 so
the connecting arm is drilled for a 5/16 bolt . use a lock nut so the don't
come loose . then sit back and relax .

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...sm-475207-.htm