jim

Default Repairing worn out recliner footrest mechanism

Daryl Helwig wrote:

The mechanism for my recliners footrest is worn out. I'm talking about
the metel bars that form a scissor or acordian type of configuration.
Where the rods are riveted together, the holes are worn and the rivets
are very sloppy. So now the footrest does not lock back into the down
position.

Question...Are these mechanisms replaceable? Has anyone repaired the
metalwork by welding the holes shut and then redrilling and
reriveting?
I think this could be done but I wonder if accuracy when redrilling
the rivet holes is a highly critical item.

Come on guys...I can't afford another recliner sofa. This thing has to
be repairable.

if they have holes for rivets then dont fill them up with welding.. just
cut the old rivets out and then put some new ones in.. if you cant find
any then you might be able to use some bolts and nuts... just cut off
any extra bolt sticking out into the path of the metal that it is
blocking or look at the trash piles and see if someone through one out
and use the metal off that one to replace yours... if that dont work it
might be time to throw your out with the others...