donald girod

Default Repairing worn out recliner footrest mechanism

Drill out the holes oversize to fit a standard bolt, and reassemble with
bolts. However, if the bolt head and nut cause clearance problems, this
isn't going to work. Oversize holes and larger rivets will work too, but it
is harder to rivet things than bolt them.

"Daryl Helwig" wrote in message
om...
The mechanism for my recliners footrest is worn out. I'm talking about
the metel bars that form a scissor or acordian type of configuration.
Where the rods are riveted together, the holes are worn and the rivets
are very sloppy. So now the footrest does not lock back into the down
position.

Question...Are these mechanisms replaceable? Has anyone repaired the
metalwork by welding the holes shut and then redrilling and
reriveting?
I think this could be done but I wonder if accuracy when redrilling
the rivet holes is a highly critical item.

Come on guys...I can't afford another recliner sofa. This thing has to
be repairable.