Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Basic mains electric lawnmower wanted but with more power

I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the lawn. I tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and "stalls" after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the power not to stall as much.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2012 19:43, Murmansk wrote:
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the lawn. I tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and "stalls" after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the power not to stall as much.

Thanks

You need a petrol mower - loads on feebay, or I've got an old
Quicksilver 46S you can have for £20 (Hampshire)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2012 19:43, Murmansk wrote:
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the lawn. I tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and "stalls" after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the power not to stall as much.

Thanks

Swept burning laser beam. Move animals off the lawn first.

OK, sounds silly, but could be done?
What type and power laser? Could be run unattended on a timer?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
On 19/07/2012 19:43, Murmansk wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the
power not to stall as much.

Thanks

Swept burning laser beam. Move animals off the lawn first.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^desired
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2012 19:43, Murmansk wrote:
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the lawn. I tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and "stalls" after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the power not to stall as much.

Thanks

Any cylinder is going to stall on long and/or damp grass. Rotaries are
much more tolerant, even basic electric ones. A petrol hover is
particularly tolerant, if you don't mind faffing about with starting and
fiddling with fuel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 19, 7:43*pm, Murmansk wrote:
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the lawn. I tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

Hover, rather than cylinder. Otherwise a giant petrol rotary, but I
guess you don't want to spend that much.

A Flymo "Mow and Vac" is the first hover I've used that didn't leave
all the clippings behind.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My current one is a rotary not cylinder.

Laser beam sounds good.

Don't fancy petrol but might have a look at them on Ebay

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PS I hate hover mowers - can see one being much use when the grass is about 40cm long.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My current one is a rotary not cylinder.

Laser beam sounds good.

Don't fancy petrol but might have a look at them on Ebay

Thanks

Stick with what you have got, and mow weekly. You get to enjoy it after a
while.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've found a Flymow Lawnchief 400 on Ebay - are they any good?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Murmansk writes
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the
lawn. I tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round
to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and
"stalls" after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the
power not to stall as much.

Buy a cow, or a couple of sheep

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Murmansk writes
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the lawn. I tend to let
it grow longer than I should and when I get round to mowing it it's always longer
than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and "stalls"
after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the power not to
stall as much.

I got a 35cm Qualcast electric rotary many moons ago that I thought was
ok but it did/does suffer from the stalling problem you mention when
overloaded with long or damp grass. When I came to recommend it to
someone else, the range had migrated over to Bosch and I got a slightly
larger one (poss Bosch Rotak 40) for them that absolutely ****ed all
over the Qualcast so it is the upper models in that range that I would
recommend. That said, I wouldn't buy one full price, they are waaay
overpriced, the one I got was on special somewhere at under £100 but is
now advertised at £170.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 19/07/2012 21:13, geoff wrote:
In message ,
Murmansk writes
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the
lawn. I tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round
to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and
"stalls" after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the
power not to stall as much.

Buy a cow, or a couple of sheep

I would think long damp grass is always going to be a prob for domestic
mowers unless you set high and cut again at a lower setting.
If nothing else try cutting on a dry day that should greatly improve the
situation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 21:57:52 +0100, ss wrote:

On 19/07/2012 21:13, geoff wrote:
In message ,
Murmansk writes
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the
lawn. I tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round
to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and
"stalls" after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the
power not to stall as much.

Buy a cow, or a couple of sheep

I would think long damp grass is always going to be a prob for domestic
mowers unless you set high and cut again at a lower setting.
If nothing else try cutting on a dry day that should greatly improve the
situation.

"Dry Day" - what's that then? :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote
Murmansk wrote

I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the lawn.
I tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round to mowing
it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and
"stalls" after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the
power not to stall as much.

Swept burning laser beam. Move animals off the lawn first.

Pity about the kids.

OK, sounds silly, but could be done?

Nope.

What type and power laser? Could be run unattended on a timer?

Yes, but you'd have a problem when staggering home from the pub drunk etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote

My current one is a rotary not cylinder.

Laser beam sounds good.

Don't fancy petrol but might have a look at them on Ebay

Stick with what you have got, and mow weekly.

No thanks. I don't even mow annually.

You get to enjoy it after a while.

Like hell you do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
On 19/07/2012 21:13, geoff wrote:
In message ,
Murmansk writes
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the
lawn. I tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round
to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and
"stalls" after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the
power not to stall as much.

Buy a cow, or a couple of sheep

I would think long damp grass is always going to be a prob for domestic
mowers unless you set high and cut again at a lower setting.

Nope, you don't get the blocking effect with
the best of the petrol powered rotary mowers.

If nothing else try cutting on a dry day that should greatly improve the
situation.

Sure, but can be hard to find on that soggy little island.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
On 19/07/2012 21:13, geoff wrote:
In message ,
Murmansk writes
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the
lawn. I tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round
to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and
"stalls" after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the
power not to stall as much.

Buy a cow, or a couple of sheep

I would think long damp grass is always going to be a prob for domestic
mowers unless you set high and cut again at a lower setting.
If nothing else try cutting on a dry day that should greatly improve the
situation.

strimmer

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2012 20:45, Murmansk wrote:
My current one is a rotary not cylinder.

Laser beam sounds good.

Don't fancy petrol but might have a look at them on Ebay

Thanks

Well, I certainly don't like mains electric mowers - it's very difficult
to keep the cable out of the way of the mower.

Modern petrol rotary mowers (not hover - they've got wheels) are pretty
reliable and easy to start. They've all got 4-stroke engines, so there's
no faffing about with 2-stroke mixture. Best to get one with a Briggs &
Stratton engine.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BTW, can someone explain how a hover is supposed to work. If it's
hovering, the rotary blade must be shoving air downwards. In which case,
how is it supposed to *suck* the cuttings *upwards* into the bag against
the airflow?

Simples....
they dont suck the clippings up from within the hover/cutting deck....

dont think the blade contributes much to the hover bit.... the fan which
does provide most of the lift is mounted above the blade, and sucks air in
from the grass box, which has it's inlet behind the deck pointed at the
floor, so it sucks the clippings up as it's sucking in air for the fan,
which makes it hover,

the grass box is perforated all round, so lets the air through whilst
catching the grass, tho when the box is stuffed with grass, i notice the
mower is hovering a little lower... but not sure if its the grass weight
and/or lower air flow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Murmansk writes
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the lawn. I
tend to let
it grow longer than I should and when I get round to mowing it it's always
longer
than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and
"stalls"
after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the power
not to
stall as much.

Petrol strimmer perhaps? (I'm thinking of borrowing one, although my grass
is 2-3 feet high now; I left it too long.)

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 00:18:46 +0100, "BartC" wrote:

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Murmansk writes
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the lawn. I
tend to let
it grow longer than I should and when I get round to mowing it it's always
longer
than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and
"stalls"
after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the power
not to
stall as much.

Petrol strimmer perhaps? (I'm thinking of borrowing one, although my grass
is 2-3 feet high now; I left it too long.)

_My_ back garden grass (and associated weed) is some 6 feet high. I
might just give up for this year.
My next-door neighbour (a lovely Finnish lady) (and as it happens my
fifth cousin once removed in law!) refers to it as a "butterfly"
garden. Well, she used to a couple of years ago.
When it's so long it'd take weeks to dry out for suitable mowing. My
rotary petrol mower just clogs up on wet stuff, due to the fact that
the clippings are forced through a 4 x 4" aperture into the grassbox.
I've taken a strimmer to a little bit of it, just flaying it around
but soon gave up ...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote
BartC wrote
fred wrote
Murmansk wrote

I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the
lawn.
I tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round to
mowing
it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and
"stalls" after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains
mower that has the power not to stall as much.

Petrol strimmer perhaps? (I'm thinking of borrowing one,
although my grass is 2-3 feet high now; I left it too long.)

_My_ back garden grass (and associated weed) is some 6 feet high.

Mine isnt that high, but that's just because Kikuyu doesn't grow that high.

I might just give up for this year.

I haven't mown mine for something like 30 years now.

My next-door neighbour (a lovely Finnish lady) (and as it happens my
fifth cousin once removed in law!) refers to it as a "butterfly" garden.

I tell the neighbour's little kids that mine has tigers. One went hunting
for them.

Well, she used to a couple of years ago.

When it's so long it'd take weeks to dry out for suitable mowing.
My rotary petrol mower just clogs up on wet stuff, due to the fact
that the clippings are forced through a 4 x 4" aperture into the grassbox.

I don't bother with a grass box when I do mow lawns.

I've taken a strimmer to a little bit of it,
just flaying it around but soon gave up ...

I literally pulled out by hand about half of mine, because
I wanted to plant the veg there. Kikuyu is a runner system,
so that's quite feasible, tho a lot of work.

The damned stuff is basically african jungle disguised as grass.

The park side of the house has lots of very big trees so you don't
get grass on that side. The council mows the front grass with the
bloody great tractor mower they now the park with, because I do
the watering in their park. More strictly I turn the underground
sprinklers on in the evening let them run all night and turn them
off first thing in the summer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BartC wrote:

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Murmansk writes
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the
lawn. I tend to let
it grow longer than I should and when I get round to mowing it it's
always longer
than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and
"stalls"
after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the
power not to
stall as much.

Petrol strimmer perhaps? (I'm thinking of borrowing one, although my
grass is 2-3 feet high now; I left it too long.)

strimmer will cope with that, or a big rideon without the mulcher

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Frank Erskine
wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 00:18:46 +0100, "BartC" wrote:

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Murmansk writes
[...]

use an old fashioned scythe

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Murmansk wrote
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the
lawn. I tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round
to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and
"stalls" after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the
power not to stall as much.

I purchased a petrol mower years ago and have never regretted it.
Compared to an electric mower it's like chalk and cheese - it cuts long
wet grass with comparative ease, however you are always going to get a
problem if you let it grow to a foot in height. My one is a spinning
blade type with large(ish) grass collection box. I cut my 60 foot lawn
in around 20% of the time it use to take me with an electric flymo.

My first one lasted around 5 years (badly rusted as I stored it
outside). My second one purchased a couple of years ago has more plastic
but works just as well. I've only gone for the £120/£150 basic models
with pull cord start and not self propelled. Maybe the best time to buy
them is in a cold and wet early Spring when the sheds have massive stock
that isn't shifting or in the Autumn when they make room for next years
model. Although I wouldn't normally suggest sheds like B&Q their
prices were a LOT cheaper than garden centres etc. when I last was in
the market.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gazz wrote:

BTW, can someone explain how a hover is supposed to work. If it's
hovering, the rotary blade must be shoving air downwards. In which case,
how is it supposed to *suck* the cuttings *upwards* into the bag against
the airflow?

Simples....
they dont suck the clippings up from within the hover/cutting deck....

dont think the blade contributes much to the hover bit.... the fan which
does provide most of the lift is mounted above the blade, and sucks air in
from the grass box, which has it's inlet behind the deck pointed at the
floor, so it sucks the clippings up as it's sucking in air for the fan,
which makes it hover,

So, as each blade is cut, it is first pushed downwards by the
hover airflow, then has to be picked up again as the suction
inlet passes over. Wheeled mowers are more efficient, as they can
be arranged to have the airflow upwards, and cut grass
immediately heads in the right direction.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

On 19/07/2012 20:45, Murmansk wrote:
My current one is a rotary not cylinder.

Laser beam sounds good.

Don't fancy petrol but might have a look at them on Ebay

Thanks

Well, I certainly don't like mains electric mowers - it's very difficult
to keep the cable out of the way of the mower.

Modern petrol rotary mowers (not hover - they've got wheels) are pretty
reliable and easy to start. They've all got 4-stroke engines, so there's
no faffing about with 2-stroke mixture. Best to get one with a Briggs &
Stratton engine.

+1

The B&S engine on mine never lets me down. Even after standing all winter on
a tank of stale petrol, it starts on the 2nd pull.
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:

In message ,
Murmansk wrote
[...]

The only use for an electric flymo I've ever come across is if you have 45
degree grass banks - then it's the one thing that works well, swinging from
side to side from above (or below if you like Russian Roulette with your
toes).

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2012 08:15, Tim Watts wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

On 19/07/2012 20:45, Murmansk wrote:
My current one is a rotary not cylinder.

Laser beam sounds good.

Don't fancy petrol but might have a look at them on Ebay

Thanks

Well, I certainly don't like mains electric mowers - it's very difficult
to keep the cable out of the way of the mower.

Modern petrol rotary mowers (not hover - they've got wheels) are pretty
reliable and easy to start. They've all got 4-stroke engines, so there's
no faffing about with 2-stroke mixture. Best to get one with a Briggs &
Stratton engine.

+1

The B&S engine on mine never lets me down. Even after standing all winter on
a tank of stale petrol, it starts on the 2nd pull.

Same here. I bought a 2nd hand mower with a B&S engine on ebay about 5
years ago for £30. It's still going strong and starts without issue.
It's currently being fed on a diet of 12 year old petrol recovered from
a car which had been standing for years in the garage before I scrapped
it, and is running fine on it!
I don't have a very big lawn, but the previous electric mower was so
pathetic I gave it away when I bought this one. Soooo much easier with
the petrol one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote in :

In message ,
Murmansk writes
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the
lawn. I tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round
to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

I had this problem when the bottom blade wasn't set properly - so that
rotating blade was missing the lower blade and not shearing the grass in a
proper scissors manner.
Are you sure it is set properly - try (unplugged) if it will cut newspaper.
Often the bottom blade gets damaged, distorted - or its purpose is not
understood
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2012 22:59, Roger Mills wrote:
On 19/07/2012 20:45, Murmansk wrote:
My current one is a rotary not cylinder.

Laser beam sounds good.

Don't fancy petrol but might have a look at them on Ebay

Thanks

Well, I certainly don't like mains electric mowers - it's very difficult
to keep the cable out of the way of the mower.

Modern petrol rotary mowers (not hover - they've got wheels) are pretty
reliable and easy to start. They've all got 4-stroke engines, so there's
no faffing about with 2-stroke mixture. Best to get one with a Briggs &
Stratton engine.

I hated Briggs and Stratton engines. I've got a Honda mower and still
like the engine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 11:43:52 -0700 (PDT), Murmansk
wrote:
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the lawn. I tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round to mowing it it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and "stalls" after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the power not to stall as much.

Look for an induction motor mower. You may have to go to a lawn mower
specialist as these are more expensive, much longer life, and not
stocked by the sheds.

Cheap rotary mowers use universal motors (i.e. with brushes) because
they're dirt cheap. But they are completely the wrong torque profile
for grass cutting - they have no torque at top speed, and only generate
torque as you slow them down, at which point they are much less effective
at grass cutting.

An induction motor is the opposite. It has very little torque at slow
speed, and maximum torque at almost it's top speed. This means it
generates max power when cutting the grass without slowing down,
although you may have to momentarily lift the blades out of long grass
to start it.

An induction motor mower is more efficient at grass cutting, so you
will generally find they are rated at a lower power for a given cutting
width than a universal motor mower, but that doesn't mean they are less
powerful at cutting the grass - quite the opposite.

The tendancy to clog depends on other aspects of the mower too, but
chances are, if you buy an induction motor mower, it's probably better
designed throughout, not just the choice of motor. I have two of them
(I cut the lawns of two houses), one 20 years old, and one 12 years
old, and both are working fine, although the older mower's height
adjustment has seized up (it's stored outside in the rain), and it did
need a new motor capacitor a few years ago - about 2 quid from CPC.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2012 20:37, Clive George wrote:

I hated Briggs and Stratton engines. I've got a Honda mower and still
like the engine.

B&S are a good compromise between price and something that actually
works! Honda is good, but expensive. Anything cheaper than B&S doesn't
work very well.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2012 19:33, Roger Mills wrote:
On 20/07/2012 20:37, Clive George wrote:

I hated Briggs and Stratton engines. I've got a Honda mower and still
like the engine.

B&S are a good compromise between price and something that actually
works! Honda is good, but expensive. Anything cheaper than B&S doesn't
work very well.

The ill working plastic carburettor in my B&S equipped Mountfield B&Q
cheapie put be off the whole thing. It failed me after about 3 years. I
put more money up and bought a Honda Izy 16. Faultless, takes no time to
do the whole lawn and well behaved if a bit overgrown. Very easy to start.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Honda-HRG415.../dp/B003JY7Y6W

Paid about £280 for it from here.

http://www.hondagarden.com/product.p...honda_hrg415pd

That amazon price looks stupid.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/12 19:58, Nospam wrote:
On 19/07/2012 19:43, Murmansk wrote:
I've got a fair sized lawn, I'm not houseproud and hate mowing the lawn. I
tend to let it grow longer than I should and when I get round to mowing it
it's always longer than it should be and usually damp.

I do it with a basic Qualcast mains mower and it always blocks up and
"stalls" after a minute or two so I have to poke it clear with a stick.

I'm looking for recommendations for a basic mains mower that has the power
not to stall as much.

Thanks

You need a petrol mower - loads on feebay, or I've got an old Quicksilver 46S
you can have for £20 (Hampshire)

I have a Bosch Rotak electric mower and it's probably the best electric mower
I've ever used (I've had flymos - hover and rotary - and cylinder mowers in
the past).

It never struggles power-wise with long grass etc. The only issue is that if
the grass is long and damp, the grass "exhaust" clogs easily and eventually
the blockage backs up and starts to foul the blade. But that can be fixed to
a great extent by clipping the downward pointing flap upwards - at the
expense of grass-cutting coated trouser legs as the grass then exits
horizontally rather than downwards....

And of course, don't use a grass collection box if you are cutting really
long grass or you'll be emptying it every 10 feet. Just live with the cut
grass on the lawn...