Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Heating oil price this morning = 52.13 pence, will it fall further?

BoilerJuice is quoting 52.13 pence per litre for 500 litres as of
10:21 am on 22/Jun/12.

This is the lowest I've recorded since 31/Jan/2011.

Is it going to fall further?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:25:37 +0100, MM wrote:

BoilerJuice is quoting 52.13 pence per litre for 500 litres as of
10:21 am on 22/Jun/12.

Only 500l? Hardly worth buying that little. B-)

Ring around a few local *independent* suppliers, closer the better and you
can probably knock 1 or 2p of the Boiler Juice "cartel" price. Be aware that
real independent suppliers are getting a bit thin on the ground in some parts
of the country, many companies are now owned by GB Oils, this includes Boiler
Juice and many other, apparently separate, online places.

Is it going to fall further?

It's been falling fairly steadily since the beginning of April:

http://www.boilerjuice.com/heatingOilPrices.php

Crude prices are still falling down to $90/barrel now, it was over
$125/barrel March/April. If you don't have to buy now I wouldn't and keep an
eye on the crude price and the above graph. Retail prices lag the crude price
by a few weeks, particularly when the price is falling (odd that!).

Guess who *had* to buy at 58.67 + VAT at the end of April. B-(

Local suppler 2000l, Boiler Juice quoted 61.95 + VAT at that time.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MM
writes
BoilerJuice is quoting 52.13 pence per litre for 500 litres as of
10:21 am on 22/Jun/12.

This is the lowest I've recorded since 31/Jan/2011.

Is it going to fall further?

That's a good price. I paid 55p per litre in March 2011.

I've got a 600 gallon (2500 litre) tank, and my annual refill time is
always in the spring. This year, I was hanging on in the hope that the
astronomical all-time high prices would fall when the warmer weather
arrived. In the middle of April, I thought I'd better order some - and
paid a massive 76.5975p per litre (£1531.95 for a 2000 litre fill).

I've always considered having a partial fill, and shift the proper
annual fill to the autumn. The problem is that, despite the present
price drop, history shows that the overall trend is for prices to keep
on rising. By delaying getting a complete fill, I risk paying more per
litre when I DO fill up. And, of course, it won't affect just my first
fill - it will be all the fills thereafter.

I'm not sure what the answer is.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

BoilerJuice is quoting 52.13 pence per litre for 500 litres as of
10:21 am on 22/Jun/12.

This is the lowest I've recorded since 31/Jan/2011.

Is it going to fall further?

MM

I inherited the local domestic oil-buying syndicate, and we usually get
a discount of about 3ppl or more off the current price when we order. We
usually have a total of about 40,000 litres. 3p may not sound much, but
over a year, it's a big saving. See if you have a syndicate near you.
I agree with the comments in a different reply about most companies
being group-owned, that has happened here in East Anglia in recent
years.
And most suppliers will not deliver an order of less than 500 litres.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, June 22, 2012 10:25:37 AM UTC+1, MM wrote:
BoilerJuice is quoting 52.13 pence per litre for 500 litres as of
10:21 am on 22/Jun/12.

This is the lowest I've recorded since 31/Jan/2011.

better trend data going back 4 years here

http://www.cheapestoil.co.uk/articles/trend.aspx

Is it going to fall further?

rhetorical?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message

I'm not sure what the answer is.

July?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/22/2012 7:54 AM, Huge wrote:
Ian wrote:
writes
[...]

Sweaters. Lots of sweaters.

And hot-water bottles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 11:09:47 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

[...]

Thing is, my boiler uses very little oil in the summer months, and is
only used now for hot water provision. I switch it on manually every
morning for between 15 and 25 minutes and that gives me plenty of hot
water for the day. As such, I reckon I still have weeks left in the
tank.

But it'll be just my luck to postpone the top-up, and then get nearer
the bottom and then the price will suddenly shoot up. I don't know why
the price has fallen so much recently. Like I said initially, it's the
cheapest since January 2011.

I also refer to http://www.fastenergy.de/heizoelpreis-tendenz.htm
which today points to a falling or even trend.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
BoilerJuice is quoting 52.13 pence per litre for 500 litres as of
10:21 am on 22/Jun/12.

This is the lowest I've recorded since 31/Jan/2011.

Is it going to fall further?

yes, for about two months.

Reasons are a mixture of political and financial...worldwide demand is
down due to recession and japan restarting its reactors later this year,
and the speculators have started to go short rather than long.

Also Saudi Arabia is in an interesting position which is so complex I
cant really understand it myself.

Suggest you subscribe to the FT and read it up yourself.

MM

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:41:48 +0100, MM wrote:

But it'll be just my luck to postpone the top-up, and then get nearer
the bottom and then the price will suddenly shoot up.

Just keep an eye on the price of crude, say from the commodities page on the
BBC web site. And the various sites that will give a online quote price or
the graphs.

When the price of crude starts to rise again keep a very close eye on the
retail prices and when they start to rise, there is normally a week or so's
lag, buy. You might not get the very bottom price but unless the price sky
rockets you shouldn't do to badly.

I don't know why the price has fallen so much recently.

Over a 25% reduction in the price of crude since end of March early April. it
was $125/barrrel it's now $90/barrel. Other oil products where also stupidly
expensive at the begining of April, I paid 147p/l for supermarket diesel on
the 13th April, today I paid 135p/l. With crude currently at $90/barrel I
expect to see a bit more of a fall in pump prices but there is a 3.02p/l rise
in duty due on 1 August...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:57:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

MM wrote:
BoilerJuice is quoting 52.13 pence per litre for 500 litres as of
10:21 am on 22/Jun/12.

This is the lowest I've recorded since 31/Jan/2011.

Is it going to fall further?

yes, for about two months.

Reasons are a mixture of political and financial...worldwide demand is
down due to recession and japan restarting its reactors later this year,
and the speculators have started to go short rather than long.

Also Saudi Arabia is in an interesting position which is so complex I
cant really understand it myself.

Suggest you subscribe to the FT and read it up yourself.

Well, two months sounds good! At the rate it's going down, it should
be below 50p by then. I haven't bought any oil since August 2010 when
I paid 38.5 pence a litre to Goff Petroleum.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 12:04*pm, Ian Jackson
wrote:
In message , MM
writesBoilerJuice is quoting 52.13 pence per litre for 500 litres as of
[...]

This is the answer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_house
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 05:07:18 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:

better trend data going back 4 years here

http://www.cheapestoil.co.uk/articles/trend.aspx

There are period options on the Boiler Juice one as well, or you can embed a
bit of coe in your own site:

http://www.boilerjuice.com/Press-and-media_42.html

What I don't like about the cheapest oil one is that you have to work out the
p/l from guesstimated total from the graph. Who quotes oil prices by the
total cost? It always p/l It also only has 500 and 900l as options. A few
companies offer a discount for 1000l or above, most do for 2000l and above.
Oh it needs javascript for the radio buttons to work as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:00:50 +0100, MM wrote:

I haven't bought any oil since August 2010 when I paid 38.5 pence a
litre to Goff Petroleum.

Good grief! Assuming that was 500l like you are just looking for, is this for
a holiday home? 500l in winter would last us a month if we are lucky.

07 Jun 2010 2000l 43.52
14 Dec 2010 1000l 54.50
20 Jan 2011 1000l 56.00
05 Mar 2011 2000l 56.52
01 Dec 2011 2000l 57.95
01 May 2012 2000l 58.67

That's 10,000l...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-06-22, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:00:50 +0100, MM wrote:

I haven't bought any oil since August 2010 when I paid 38.5 pence a
litre to Goff Petroleum.

Good grief! Assuming that was 500l like you are just looking for, is this
for
a holiday home? 500l in winter would last us a month if we are lucky.

07 Jun 2010 2000l 43.52
14 Dec 2010 1000l 54.50
20 Jan 2011 1000l 56.00
05 Mar 2011 2000l 56.52
01 Dec 2011 2000l 57.95
01 May 2012 2000l 58.67

That's 10,000l...

Jesus, what are you heating, a hotel? 1500 litres lasts us a year.

At 10 mpl it will only do about 100000 miles and that's in a smallish car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-06-22, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:00:50 +0100, MM wrote:

I haven't bought any oil since August 2010 when I paid 38.5 pence a
litre to Goff Petroleum.

Good grief! Assuming that was 500l like you are just looking for, is this for
a holiday home? 500l in winter would last us a month if we are lucky.

07 Jun 2010 2000l 43.52
14 Dec 2010 1000l 54.50
20 Jan 2011 1000l 56.00
05 Mar 2011 2000l 56.52
01 Dec 2011 2000l 57.95
01 May 2012 2000l 58.67

That's 10,000l...

Jesus, what are you heating, a hotel? 1500 litres lasts us a year.

big house here fully to 2000 insulatin standards. about 4000 liters a year..

If I heated ALL of it.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 June 2012 20:09:45 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:00:50 +0100, MM wrote:

I haven't bought any oil since August 2010 when I paid 38.5 pence a
litre to Goff Petroleum.

Good grief! Assuming that was 500l like you are just looking for, is this for
a holiday home? 500l in winter would last us a month if we are lucky.

07 Jun 2010 2000l 43.52
14 Dec 2010 1000l 54.50
20 Jan 2011 1000l 56.00
05 Mar 2011 2000l 56.52
01 Dec 2011 2000l 57.95
01 May 2012 2000l 58.67

That's 10,000l...

--
Cheers
Dave.

**** me - you gotta leak? or a pilferer?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Jun 2012 19:24:04 GMT, Huge wrote:

07 Jun 2010 2000l 43.52
14 Dec 2010 1000l 54.50
20 Jan 2011 1000l 56.00
05 Mar 2011 2000l 56.52
01 Dec 2011 2000l 57.95
01 May 2012 2000l 58.67

That's 10,000l...

Jesus, what are you heating, a hotel?

Like TNP a big house and the half we normally live in, until late last year,
had no effective wall insulation and was drafty (parts still are). Also being
exposed and at 1400' doesn't help.

The only "leak" is via the 38kW output boiler, if it was near freezing or
below with a bit of abreeze that would struggle to keep the place warm(*).

(*) I'm using the past tense as hopefully 50mm of celetoex lining on all
external walls and fewer drafts will make a big reduction in the heat loss.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:46:58 +0100
Tim Streater wrote:

MM wrote:

BoilerJuice is quoting 52.13 pence per litre for 500 litres as of
10:21 am on 22/Jun/12.

This is the lowest I've recorded since 31/Jan/2011.

Is it going to fall further?

MM

I inherited the local domestic oil-buying syndicate, and we usually
get a discount of about 3ppl or more off the current price when we
order. We usually have a total of about 40,000 litres. 3p may not
sound much, but over a year, it's a big saving. See if you have a
syndicate near you. I agree with the comments in a different reply
about most companies being group-owned, that has happened here in
East Anglia in recent years.
And most suppliers will not deliver an order of less than 500
litres.

I thought they weren't allowed to by Trading Standards. Or is that
just oil supplier b/s?

I don't know. 500 litres is small enough for just about everyone around
here, so it isn't an issue. But it's on every website that I have
looked at.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 20:09:45 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:00:50 +0100, MM wrote:

I haven't bought any oil since August 2010 when I paid 38.5 pence a
litre to Goff Petroleum.

Good grief! Assuming that was 500l like you are just looking for, is this for
a holiday home? 500l in winter would last us a month if we are lucky.

No, the order in 2010 was for a staggering 1,000 litres! Lasts me for
ages. I only use minimal heating. Don't like a hot house. I never heat
any rooms I don't use regularly. If I only had water to heat, 1,000
litres would last me five years.

07 Jun 2010 2000l 43.52
14 Dec 2010 1000l 54.50
20 Jan 2011 1000l 56.00
05 Mar 2011 2000l 56.52
01 Dec 2011 2000l 57.95
01 May 2012 2000l 58.67

That's 10,000l...

That's only a few hundred short of what I paid last September for my
new Suzuki Alto!

Oh, indeed, I see the fuel deliveries up and down our street. Some
people just like having the temperature turned up and can apparently
afford to waste money. When I visit certain relatives they have the
heating full on so that one can hardly breathe, then they open windows
'because it's so stuffy in here'.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 2012-06-22, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:00:50 +0100, MM wrote:

I haven't bought any oil since August 2010 when I paid 38.5 pence a
litre to Goff Petroleum.

Good grief! Assuming that was 500l like you are just looking for, is this for
a holiday home? 500l in winter would last us a month if we are lucky.

07 Jun 2010 2000l 43.52
14 Dec 2010 1000l 54.50
20 Jan 2011 1000l 56.00
05 Mar 2011 2000l 56.52
01 Dec 2011 2000l 57.95
01 May 2012 2000l 58.67

That's 10,000l...

Jesus, what are you heating, a hotel? 1500 litres lasts us a year.

But many, many houses *are* huge. I could drive to Boston or King's
Lynn and pass dozens of them. Four or five-bed properties, even bigger
ones, too. Massive. Built in the days when there were servants, plus
large families.Take a look at a typical vicage from the Victorian era.
We have one in our village. Last asking price was over £600,000 when
'ordinary' detached 3-beds are going for £150,000, if they sell at
all, which they haven't been for the past four years.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-06-22, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

It's not even that. twice the (linear) size and 4 times the (roof) area
to lose heat through. and the walls get bigger too.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Ian Jackson" wrote in
message ...

I'm not sure what the answer is.

July?

That narrows the options down to 11 months.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:25:37 +0100, MM wrote:

BoilerJuice is quoting 52.13 pence per litre for 500 litres as of
10:21 am on 22/Jun/12.

This is the lowest I've recorded since 31/Jan/2011.

Is it going to fall further?

MM

This morning, 27/Jun/12: 49.89 pence

This is the lowest since 14/Nov/10, when it was 44.75 pence

These are BoilerJuice quotes. Local suppliers may be more or less.

http://www.fastenergy.de/heizoelpreis-tendenz.htm shows all but one
Land (Germany) on a *rising* trend.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Those trends have to be artificially generated by supply manipulation I'd
suggest.

Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"MM" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:25:37 +0100, MM wrote:

BoilerJuice is quoting 52.13 pence per litre for 500 litres as of
10:21 am on 22/Jun/12.

This is the lowest I've recorded since 31/Jan/2011.

Is it going to fall further?

MM

This morning, 27/Jun/12: 49.89 pence

This is the lowest since 14/Nov/10, when it was 44.75 pence

These are BoilerJuice quotes. Local suppliers may be more or less.

http://www.fastenergy.de/heizoelpreis-tendenz.htm shows all but one
Land (Germany) on a *rising* trend.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Those trends have to be artificially generated by supply manipulation I'd
suggest.

Brian

there were a lot of long positions in oil yes. Those are now unwinding.

Because largely everybody cut back on it as far as they could.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 11:09 am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:25:37 +0100, MM wrote:
BoilerJuice is quoting 52.13 pence per litre for 500 litres as of
10:21 am on 22/Jun/12.

Only 500l? Hardly worth buying that little. B-)

Ring around a few local *independent* suppliers, closer the better and you
can probably knock 1 or 2p of the Boiler Juice "cartel" price. Be aware that
real independent suppliers are getting a bit thin on the ground in some parts
of the country, many companies are now owned by GB Oils, this includes Boiler
Juice and many other, apparently separate, online places.

NB BoilerJuice was sold by GB oils in Jan 2011 (apparently)

Who owns it now?

28/6/12 Boilerjuice quotes 51.78+vat for 500, 1000 or 2000 litres on
standard or "express" 5 day delivery.

most locals are hovering around above this -cheapest quote I got today
(without haggling) was 50p +vat

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 02:44:38 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:

28/6/12 Boilerjuice quotes 51.78+vat for 500, 1000 or 2000 litres on
standard or "express" 5 day delivery.

most locals are hovering around above this -cheapest quote I got today
(without haggling) was 50p +vat

Confirms my view that Boilerjuice is consistently about 2p above the best
local price.

Paid 58.67 for 2000l on 30 Apr, £170+ difference. B-(

I see crude has started edging back up in the last few days. People want
heating oil keep checking the price... Correction having looked at todays
prices futures up $6+/barrel really keep on eye on the heating oil prices.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 29, 8:14*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 02:44:38 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:
28/6/12 Boilerjuice quotes 51.78+vat for 500, 1000 or 2000 litres on
standard or "express" 5 day delivery.

most locals are hovering around above this -cheapest quote I got today
(without haggling) was 50p +vat

Confirms my view that Boilerjuice is consistently about 2p above the best
local price.

Paid 58.67 for 2000l on 30 Apr, £170+ difference. *B-(

I see crude has started edging back up in the last few days. People want
heating oil keep checking the price... Correction having looked at todays
prices futures up $6+/barrel really keep on eye on the heating oil prices..

--
Cheers
Dave.

I reckon short term blip & on way down further yet... the BS Euro bank
bail out bolox will have lightened the mood temporarily or
somesuch.... underneath whatever friday called "news", global
economies are still stagnating for the same reasons they were
before....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paid 476 quid including tax for 900 is week

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 06:23:53 -0700 (PDT)
Jim K wrote:

On Jun 29, 8:14Â*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 02:44:38 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:
28/6/12 Boilerjuice quotes 51.78+vat for 500, 1000 or 2000 litres
on standard or "express" 5 day delivery.

most locals are hovering around above this -cheapest quote I got
today (without haggling) was 50p +vat

Confirms my view that Boilerjuice is consistently about 2p above
the best local price.

Paid 58.67 for 2000l on 30 Apr, £170+ difference. Â*B-(

I see crude has started edging back up in the last few days. People
want heating oil keep checking the price... Correction having
looked at todays prices futures up $6+/barrel really keep on eye on
the heating oil prices.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I reckon short term blip & on way down further yet... the BS Euro bank
bail out bolox will have lightened the mood temporarily or
somesuch.... underneath whatever friday called "news", global
economies are still stagnating for the same reasons they were
before....

Jim K

As the local syndicate man, I will be negotiating for our group
purchase on Monday. Currently have 53,000 litres to offer, and one more
day to get more.
It should be interesting. I can't change the day to try to improve the
price, as some people are running on empty right now.
If I remember, I'll post the final syndicate price here next week. If
anyone cares, of course.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

yep. oil price movements multiplied by derivative traders..but
underlying fundamentals downwards..for a while..

Jim K

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 06:41:25 -0700 (PDT), curious wrote:

Paid 476 quid including tax for 900 is week

50.37 knock another penny off for 2000l... Grrrr.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 19:41:24 +0100 (BST)
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 06:41:25 -0700 (PDT), curious wrote:

Paid 476 quid including tax for 900 is week

50.37 knock another penny off for 2000l... Grrrr.

I wonder what I will get for my bulk syndicate order on
Monday?
--
Davey.