Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tumble drier about to expolde...

....Well, not quite. It's playing up. But before I go prodding around
in something I know nothing about, does anyone have any possible
pointers?

The machine is a Zanussi condenser, about six years old. A couple of
nights ago, I put in a load to dry. I heard a different beeping sound;
five beeps in succession. The washing was still damp and hot - it
hadn't been through the cool down cycle.

I emptied the washing & turned it on again, and I heard a noise like a
motor not turning. When I opened the drum I could smell a slight
burning smell, similar to that of a stuck motor. Next thing I tried
was turning the drum manually - it turned as normal. So I turned it on
again and the drum, etc, turned OK. Phew, I thought. Maybe it had just
caught on something and it's freed it. So I put the washing back in
and tried again (keeping a careful ear out for any problems). This
wash dried OK. I tried another wash, and the same thing happened
again.

If I rotate the drum it works about half the time. The other half I
get a burning smell. Any idea on the possible cause? A belt? A motor?
Something else?
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:
[...]

bruishes going/gone

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:10:31 +0100
Hugo Nebula wrote:

[...]

Belt on the way out? What happens if you try it empty?
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 13, 6:10*pm, Hugo Nebula wrote:
[...]

sounds like a bad winding on the motor, typically a partial short. If
the machine turns continusouly in one direction, such faults are easy
to bodge-repair.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...repair#Dropper

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 12:05:25 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

[...]

That's a poor wiki compared to some that get mentioned here. No
detail. Dodgy advice about earth leaks and no mention about nuisance
RCD trips which is how this manifests itself in many cases.
I don't recognise their definition of a Variac, aren't they talking
about laminated carbon brushes?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Well, tell us more, it can be incorporated

I'm not clear what you thinks amiss with the mention of laminated
brushes for variacs.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well sounds like brushes to me, but it could also be wear in the motor.
Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"Hugo Nebula" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotra...totransformers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:

[...]

Your typo in the subject line sounds rather like a Professor
'expolding' about something. Just a thought.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:18:08 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Davey , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

Belt on the way out? What happens if you try it empty?

I've just tried it again. It seems to be OK on empty or with a small
load. With a normal load it 'stalls' more often than not. It's started
making a noise similar to rubber squeaking.

Looked at a video for changing a belt - that seems to involve
dismantling the whole machine, which may be beyond me.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:41:08 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Hugo Nebula , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

[Default] On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:18:08 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Davey , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

Belt on the way out? What happens if you try it empty?

I've just tried it again. It seems to be OK on empty or with a small
load. With a normal load it 'stalls' more often than not. It's started
making a noise similar to rubber squeaking.

Further investigation revealed that the flashing lights and bleeps
were telling me 'error code 54'. Googling suggests that this could be
"Voltage too low (control board fault or a power supply fault). Motor
inoperative".

Is this correct? What's the likely cause? Is there an easy or cheap
fix?

Ta,
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote
Hugo Nebula wrote
Davey wrote

Belt on the way out? What happens if you try it empty?

I've just tried it again. It seems to be OK on empty or with a small
load. With a normal load it 'stalls' more often than not. It's started
making a noise similar to rubber squeaking.

Further investigation revealed that the flashing lights and bleeps
were telling me 'error code 54'. Googling suggests that this could be
"Voltage too low (control board fault or a power supply fault). Motor
inoperative".

Is this correct?

Remains to be seen once you work out what the fault actually is.

It might well just have decided that the motor isnt turning,
when you already know it wasn't, and that list in quotes
is likely just someones idea of whats most likely to be the
reason the motor isnt turning.

What's the likely cause?

The only real alternative is to diagnose it properly.

Replace the brushes if that's easy to do.

Check if there is a belt at all, if there is, if its loose or smells burnt.

Is there an easy or cheap fix?

Depends on what the problem is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Hugo Nebula
writes
[Default] On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:18:08 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Davey , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

Belt on the way out? What happens if you try it empty?

I've just tried it again. It seems to be OK on empty or with a small
load. With a normal load it 'stalls' more often than not. It's started
making a noise similar to rubber squeaking.

Looked at a video for changing a belt - that seems to involve
dismantling the whole machine, which may be beyond me.

Drum bearing worn?
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo...

1 - ensure you have a working smoke alarm in the room with a dryer, they have multiple thermal cutouts but lint has a low ignition point.

2 - belts go over the drum on all except the costly miele, a sudden ba-ba-da in place of ba-ba-ba is a giveaway the belt is fraying.

3 - replacing motor is often not too bad, but the cost along with pulley tensioner can bump up the cost.

4 - replacing the rear sintered bearing can be quite involved (they can collapse, although not that common) and the shaft can be damaged.

Check YouTube for a video of your machine.
Sometimes eSpares or similar have a video about belt replacement, it is much easier with a video - a tedious job without.

Condensor are not cheap, unfortunately otherwise it might be easier to go buy new. Alternative is see what the manufacturer will charge for a flat fee repair? They might be £70 or £90 which is better than £350 for a new m/c. The warranty might be poor tho - 180 days in some cases.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:10:31 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Hugo Nebula , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

...Well, not quite. It's playing up. But before I go prodding around
in something I know nothing about, does anyone have any possible
pointers?

Update:
I've taken the side & top off the machine and had a look around.

The belt looks in good condition; tight around the drum and no signs
of splits.
The error code seems to indicate a motor problem.
When you start a programme & rotate the drum manually, it runs OK, and
there's no noises from the motor. I presume there would be with worn
bearings?

On the basis of ruling out the cheapest option first, I've ordered a
replacement capacitor for the motor. Watch this space... (or get a
life...)
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:00:41 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Hugo Nebula , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

On the basis of ruling out the cheapest option first, I've ordered a
replacement capacitor for the motor. Watch this space... (or get a
life...)

Touch wood, a replacement capacitor seems to have worked.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?

Tumble drier vent, can I.......? Him & Her[_2_] UK diy 3 May 31st 11 09:39 AM
Gas Tumble Drier Ericp UK diy 8 October 25th 10 04:16 PM
Leaky Tumble Drier Endulini UK diy 2 September 26th 10 12:32 PM
Which tumble drier...? Lobster UK diy 49 July 7th 06 03:26 AM
Tumble Drier in Bathroom Fredrick Skoog UK diy 6 January 10th 04 01:29 PM