Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Tumble drier about to expolde...

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:10:31 +0100
Hugo Nebula wrote:

...Well, not quite. It's playing up. But before I go prodding around
in something I know nothing about, does anyone have any possible
pointers?

The machine is a Zanussi condenser, about six years old. A couple of
nights ago, I put in a load to dry. I heard a different beeping sound;
five beeps in succession. The washing was still damp and hot - it
hadn't been through the cool down cycle.

I emptied the washing & turned it on again, and I heard a noise like a
motor not turning. When I opened the drum I could smell a slight
burning smell, similar to that of a stuck motor. Next thing I tried
was turning the drum manually - it turned as normal. So I turned it on
again and the drum, etc, turned OK. Phew, I thought. Maybe it had just
caught on something and it's freed it. So I put the washing back in
and tried again (keeping a careful ear out for any problems). This
wash dried OK. I tried another wash, and the same thing happened
again.

If I rotate the drum it works about half the time. The other half I
get a burning smell. Any idea on the possible cause? A belt? A motor?
Something else?

Your typo in the subject line sounds rather like a Professor
'expolding' about something. Just a thought.
--
Davey.