Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Tumble drier about to expolde...

Hugo Nebula wrote
Hugo Nebula wrote
Davey wrote

Belt on the way out? What happens if you try it empty?

I've just tried it again. It seems to be OK on empty or with a small
load. With a normal load it 'stalls' more often than not. It's started
making a noise similar to rubber squeaking.

Further investigation revealed that the flashing lights and bleeps
were telling me 'error code 54'. Googling suggests that this could be
"Voltage too low (control board fault or a power supply fault). Motor
inoperative".

Is this correct?

Remains to be seen once you work out what the fault actually is.

It might well just have decided that the motor isnt turning,
when you already know it wasn't, and that list in quotes
is likely just someones idea of whats most likely to be the
reason the motor isnt turning.

What's the likely cause?

The only real alternative is to diagnose it properly.

Replace the brushes if that's easy to do.

Check if there is a belt at all, if there is, if its loose or smells burnt.

Is there an easy or cheap fix?

Depends on what the problem is.