Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. IMF

We're told that the UK gets interest from money sent to the IMF.So
what happens to that money if Greece for instance defaults?
Can we get it back or has it gone forever?
(Can we get it back even if there are no defaults?)

They aren't half theiving pillocks these Greeks.
Did you see the programme last night on the box?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote

We're told that the UK gets interest from money sent to the IMF.
So what happens to that money if Greece for instance defaults?

Not much of what Greece has debt wise is owed to the IMF.

Can we get it back or has it gone forever?

Basically depends on the detail of how Greece defaults.

In most cases the lenders 'take a haircut' which basically
means that they don't get back anything like what they
lent and a substantial portion of the debt is just written off.

That has in fact happened already, without Greece formally defaulting.

(Can we get it back even if there are no defaults?)

Normally not. And particularly with so many eurozone
countrys in very deep **** indeed financially so that the
IMF need more and more money, they wont be giving
any back to those who have lent them money already.

They aren't half theiving pillocks these Greeks.

Yeah, specially with the retirement age etc.

Did you see the programme last night on the box?

Nope, bit too far away to watch that box from here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2012 18:04, hugh wrote:

The real pillocks are those who were so fanatical about the euro project
and making it as large as possible that they didn't check the figures.

Every time a politician say things like "I feel the weight of History on
my shoulders" (Helmut Kohl about the Euro) it's time to take him out and
shoot him. Tony Blair started talking like this at the end. Take C.
Northcote Parkinson's advice and kill them after 5 years in office.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to gmx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
We're told that the UK gets interest from money sent to the IMF.So
what happens to that money if Greece for instance defaults?
Can we get it back or has it gone forever?
(Can we get it back even if there are no defaults?)

We loan money to the IMF not to Greece, so the IMF still owes us.

The IMF doesn't bail out countries, in reality it bails out those who
have loaned money to those countries.
It's a bit like the debt management adverts on TV.
Let us consolidate all your debts into one easy to manage repayment
premium.
They aren't half theiving pillocks these Greeks.
Did you see the programme last night on the box?

The real pillocks are those who were so fanatical about the euro project
and making it as large as possible that they didn't check the figures.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote:
On 18/05/2012 18:04, hugh wrote:

The real pillocks are those who were so fanatical about the euro project
and making it as large as possible that they didn't check the figures.

Every time a politician say things like "I feel the weight of History on
my shoulders" (Helmut Kohl about the Euro) it's time to take him out and
shoot him. Tony Blair started talking like this at the end. Take C.
Northcote Parkinson's advice and kill them after 5 years in office.

Another Dave

In Blair's case it would have been better 5 years BEFORE he got into power.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote
hugh wrote

The real pillocks are those who were so fanatical about the euro project
and making it as large as possible that they didn't check the figures.

Every time a politician say things like "I feel the weight of History on
my shoulders" (Helmut Kohl about the Euro) it's time to take him out and
shoot him. Tony Blair started talking like this at the end. Take C.
Northcote Parkinson's advice and kill them after 5 years in office.

If that had been done with Churchill, you lot would have put your
hands up as quickly as the frogs and the pseudokrauts (dutch) did
if that was done with more than just prime ministers.

And I bet he would have shot back if you had tried it with just prime
ministers too.

Maggy in spades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2012 02:09, Rod Speed wrote:
Another Dave wrote

If that had been done with Churchill, you lot would have put your
hands up as quickly as the frogs and the pseudokrauts (dutch) did
if that was done with more than just prime ministers.

Churchill was in power for 5 years before we, wisely, threw him out. He
didn't have time to go gaga - he did that later when we, unwisely,
elected him in 1951. This was the first time he was elected PM. It is
what happens to politicians after a certain time in power that I object
to, not the politicians themselves.
For example, unlike TNP, I thought Tony Blair was a breath of fresh air
until he stayed too long.

And I bet he would have shot back if you had tried it with just prime
ministers too.

Maggy in spades.

Another PM who stayed far too long.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to gmx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote:
On 19/05/2012 02:09, Rod Speed wrote:
Another Dave wrote

If that had been done with Churchill, you lot would have put your
hands up as quickly as the frogs and the pseudokrauts (dutch) did
if that was done with more than just prime ministers.

Churchill was in power for 5 years before we, wisely, threw him out. He
didn't have time to go gaga - he did that later when we, unwisely,
elected him in 1951. This was the first time he was elected PM. It is
what happens to politicians after a certain time in power that I object
to, not the politicians themselves.
For example, unlike TNP, I thought Tony Blair was a breath of fresh air
until he stayed too long.

Democracy cannot cope with mentally ill voters.

And I bet he would have shot back if you had tried it with just prime
ministers too.

Maggy in spades.

Another PM who stayed far too long.

Another Dave

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Another Dave wrote

If that had been done with Churchill, you lot would have put your hands
up as quickly as the frogs and the pseudokrauts (dutch) did if that was
done with more than just prime ministers.

Churchill was in power for 5 years before we, wisely, threw him out.

And he was widely regarded as a buffoon in the years before he
ever got to be prime minister, so if you lot had actually been stupid
enough to execute all prominent politicians and not just prime
ministers if they had been around for more than 5 years, you lot would
have just put your hands up as quickly as the frogs and the pseudokrauts
did.

He didn't have time to go gaga

He was always gaga about some stuff like the empire.

- he did that later when we, unwisely, elected him in 1951. This was the
first time he was elected PM.

You never said anything about elected PMs.

It is what happens to politicians after a certain time in power that I
object to, not the politicians themselves.

Depends entirely on what you call power.

For example, unlike TNP, I thought Tony Blair was a breath of fresh air
until he stayed too long.

He was always completely off with the ****ing fairys
on stuff like the involvement in the second Iraq war.

And I bet he would have shot back if you had tried it with just prime
ministers too.

Maggy in spades.

Another PM who stayed far too long.

You can say that about all of them except the complete
duds that got the bums rush the first time the voters got
to pull the plug on them like that fool Major.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2012 08:59, Another Dave wrote:
On 19/05/2012 02:09, Rod Speed wrote:
Another Dave wrote

If that had been done with Churchill, you lot would have put your
hands up as quickly as the frogs and the pseudokrauts (dutch) did
if that was done with more than just prime ministers.

Churchill was in power for 5 years before we, wisely, threw him out. He
didn't have time to go gaga - he did that later when we, unwisely,
elected him in 1951. This was the first time he was elected PM. It is
what happens to politicians after a certain time in power that I object
to, not the politicians themselves.
For example, unlike TNP, I thought Tony Blair was a breath of fresh air
until he stayed too long.

And I bet he would have shot back if you had tried it with just prime
ministers too.

Maggy in spades.

Another PM who stayed far too long.

and yet even here most gaga prognostications on Europe turned out to be
bang on...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote
Another Dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Another Dave wrote

If that had been done with Churchill, you lot would have put your
hands up as quickly as the frogs and the pseudokrauts (dutch) did
if that was done with more than just prime ministers.

Churchill was in power for 5 years before we, wisely, threw him out. He
didn't have time to go gaga - he did that later when we, unwisely,
elected him in 1951. This was the first time he was elected PM. It is
what happens to politicians after a certain time in power that I object
to, not the politicians themselves.
For example, unlike TNP, I thought Tony Blair was a breath of fresh air
until he stayed too long.

And I bet he would have shot back if you
had tried it with just prime ministers too.

Maggy in spades.

Another PM who stayed far too long.

and yet even here most gaga prognostications
on Europe turned out to be bang on...

But she was so far out of her tree that she tried to have the poll tax.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-05-19, Another Dave wrote:

For example, unlike TNP, I thought Tony Blair was a breath of fresh air

You jest. He was a vile, oleaginous sack of pus from the word "go". And
then he got worse. He makes me feel physically ill.

He comfortably exceeded all my worst expectations

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 May 2012 21:19:26 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

John Rumm wrote
Another Dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Another Dave wrote

[...]

The conservatives were (and still are) so far apart from ordinary people
that they thought everyone lived at convenient addresses so they could
collect the poll tax from everyone!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2012 21:19:26 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

John Rumm wrote
Another Dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Another Dave wrote

[...]

Poll tax was a good idea, but not all at once.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John Rumm wrote
Another Dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Another Dave wrote

[...]

That wasn't the problem with the poll tax and it was only
really Maggy that was stupid enough to want to go that
route and it was the other conservatives who believed it
made no sense at all who politically assassinated her.

Its less clear whether she turned into a drunk after that
or had tuned into a drunk before that and just hid it better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-05-19, Another Dave wrote:

For example, unlike TNP, I thought Tony Blair was a breath of fresh air

You jest. He was a vile, oleaginous sack of pus from the word "go". And
then he got worse. He makes me feel physically ill.

Exactly so. And Brown was worse.
The same goes for the crew they have now. Lying two faced ****bags.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher writes:

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2012 21:19:26 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

John Rumm wrote
Another Dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Another Dave wrote

[...]

Isn't Council Tax just a watered-down poll tax? The gummint still knows
(in theory) where you live.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2012 21:19:26 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

John Rumm wrote
Another Dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Another Dave wrote
[...]

The difference is that council tax is based o notional value of a house,
whereas poll tax was based on how many people lived there.

It was a direct attack on the principle of robbing people who have stuff
to give it to useless layabouts who haven't. It might have actually
connected how much people did that was costing the councils money, with
the people who caused the costs: naturally that would have blown a
hole big enough to drive a Sherman tank through in the ideology of the
Left, which is why it had to be stopped forever.

Since the while point of Leftism is that *you* work and suffer, *I* do
nothing, and profit. Leftism is all about redistribution of someone
else's wealth, not actually creating any

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2012 21:19:26 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

John Rumm wrote
Another Dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Another Dave wrote

[...]

Council Tax is just the old old rates we had before the poll tax but split
into bands instead of individual ratable values. I believe unmetered water
charges are still based on the old rateable values.

Council tax like the old rates is chargeable per property so is pretty
easy to collect. Poll tax relied on being able to locate everyone to
charge them. It was never going to work for people of no fixed abode.
Plenty of specialist civil engineering workers move from project to
project all the time. Others could just hide or insist they had no money
or anything of value. Property based taxes are much easier to collect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Windmill wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John Rumm wrote
Another Dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Another Dave wrote

[...]

Poll tax was a good idea,

Nope, stupid idea.

but not all at once.

It doesn’t make sense and was politically impossible anyway.

Isn't Council Tax just a watered-down poll tax?

Nope, council tax is on the property, regardless of how many
individuals are in it. Poll tax is on the individual, not the property.

The gummint still knows (in theory) where you live.

Irrelevant to the difference between council tax and a poll tax.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message op.wel8lhz8gtk8fg@hugh-lap, Hugh - Was Invisible
writes

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2012 21:19:26 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

John Rumm wrote
Another Dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Another Dave wrote

[...]

Not quite. Rates were base on notional rental value - council tax is
based on estimated (or guestimated) capital value.
Council tax like the old rates is chargeable per property so is pretty
easy to collect. Poll tax relied on being able to locate everyone to
charge them. It was never going to work for people of no fixed abode.
Plenty of specialist civil engineering workers move from project to
project all the time. Others could just hide or insist they had no
money or anything of value. Property based taxes are much easier to
collect.

Bu there are still billions of council taxes not collected each year
notably in the left wing metropolitan areas.

But it's the only tax were ease of collection takes precedence over any
notion of fairness.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 21/05/12 23:54, hugh wrote:
In message op.wel8lhz8gtk8fg@hugh-lap, Hugh - Was Invisible

Bu there are still billions of council taxes not collected each year
notably in the left wing metropolitan areas.

But it's the only tax were ease of collection takes precedence over any
notion of fairness.

'twas ever thus. The ideal tax from the tax farmers' point of view:
cheap to collect, difficult to avoid, fairness€” or rather, neutrality in
terms of changing spending patterns€” is a long way behind.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, May 19, 2012 10:36:45 AM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Another Dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Maggy in spades.

Another PM who stayed far too long.

You can say that about all of them except the complete
duds that got the bums rush the first time the voters got
to pull the plug on them like that fool Major.

Even Major was in office for seven years or so (including winning the 1992 election)