Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT. IMF

Windmill wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John Rumm wrote
Another Dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Another Dave wrote

If that had been done with Churchill, you lot would have put your
hands up as quickly as the frogs and the pseudokrauts (dutch) did
if that was done with more than just prime ministers.

Churchill was in power for 5 years before we, wisely, threw him out.
He didn't have time to go gaga - he did that later when we, unwisely,
elected him in 1951. This was the first time he was elected PM. It is
what happens to politicians after a certain time in power that I
object
to, not the politicians themselves.

For example, unlike TNP, I thought Tony Blair was a breath of fresh
air
until he stayed too long.

And I bet he would have shot back if you had tried it with just
prime ministers too.

Maggy in spades.

Another PM who stayed far too long.

and yet even here most gaga prognostications
on Europe turned out to be bang on...

But she was so far out of her tree that she tried to have the poll tax.

The conservatives were (and still are) so far apart from ordinary
people that they thought everyone lived at convenient addresses
so they could collect the poll tax from everyone!

Poll tax was a good idea,

Nope, stupid idea.

but not all at once.

It doesn’t make sense and was politically impossible anyway.

Isn't Council Tax just a watered-down poll tax?

Nope, council tax is on the property, regardless of how many
individuals are in it. Poll tax is on the individual, not the property.

The gummint still knows (in theory) where you live.

Irrelevant to the difference between council tax and a poll tax.