Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Golston fake Duracell Batteries

I ran into an interesting one today. A failed microphone battery that at
first glance was obviously a leaking Duracell AAA cell.

But on closer inspection after getting it out of the unit was a clever
clone using exactly the same paint job copper top, black body and white
writing but instead of Duracell it said "Golston". The battery had
leaked quite badly and caustic had damaged the unit.

Seems Golston are a real Chinese battery company and these fakes no
longer form a part of their product line according to their website. Any
seen them for sale in the UK?

They seem to work OK as alkaline batteries as long as you don't leave
them to leak all over after they have fully discharged. The result with
pink caustic goo everywhere was not nice to handle.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 15:47:04 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

I ran into an interesting one today. A failed microphone battery that at
first glance was obviously a leaking Duracell AAA cell.

But on closer inspection after getting it out of the unit was a clever
clone using exactly the same paint job copper top, black body and white
writing but instead of Duracell it said "Golston". The battery had
leaked quite badly and caustic had damaged the unit.

Seems Golston are a real Chinese battery company and these fakes no
longer form a part of their product line according to their website. Any
seen them for sale in the UK?

They seem to work OK as alkaline batteries as long as you don't leave
them to leak all over after they have fully discharged. The result with
pink caustic goo everywhere was not nice to handle.

But they are marked Golston not Duracell, how can anyone be confused?
Supermarket shelves are packed with cheap products with brandings that
are heavily "inspired" by the market leaders.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2012 15:47, Martin Brown wrote:
I ran into an interesting one today. A failed microphone battery that at
first glance was obviously a leaking Duracell AAA cell.

But on closer inspection after getting it out of the unit was a clever
clone using exactly the same paint job copper top, black body and white
writing but instead of Duracell it said "Golston". The battery had
leaked quite badly and caustic had damaged the unit.

Seems Golston are a real Chinese battery company and these fakes no
longer form a part of their product line according to their website. Any
seen them for sale in the UK?

They seem to work OK as alkaline batteries as long as you don't leave
them to leak all over after they have fully discharged. The result with
pink caustic goo everywhere was not nice to handle.

Related:

I'm trying to find the T&C's of Duracell UK concerning equipment damage
from leakage. Seems a bit elusive, to make me wonder if they have
dropped it over here.

"Leaked Duracell commercial"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_3SvAk0jRA

I've got a leakage ruined POS digital camera of no great value, but ...

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
I ran into an interesting one today. A failed microphone battery that at
first glance was obviously a leaking Duracell AAA cell.

But on closer inspection after getting it out of the unit was a clever
clone using exactly the same paint job copper top, black body and white
writing but instead of Duracell it said "Golston". The battery had
leaked quite badly and caustic had damaged the unit.

So a good copy of a Duracell? I've had lots of Duracells leak over the
ages. No better and maybe even worse than supermarket cheapies.

I've also been through a box of MN1604 - admittedly marked 2011 - where
they are all reading less than 6 volt no load. I'd expect a battery at the
end of its shelf life still to work ok for a couple of years in a low
drain environment.

--
*Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

the one designed to confuse is "Eveready".

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 16:15:29 +0100, Adrian C
wrote:

[...]

Gosh, that takes me back to the late '80 and I was asked to collect
together some examples of TV remote controls complete with corroded
batteries from a troublesome batch that leaked early in their life.

This was at the request of the management of a big hotel in Manchester
who were suffering hundreds of failures and were testing Mallory's
supposed guarantee in these matters. I don't recall what the outcome
was.

Part of Proctor and Gamble now, I see.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/12 16:33, charles wrote:

But they are marked Golston not Duracell, how can anyone be confused?
Supermarket shelves are packed with cheap products with brandings that
are heavily "inspired" by the market leaders.

the one designed to confuse is "Eveready".

How so?

The Eveready batteries you see today are made by the descendent of the
company that made them years ago.

1899 - the American Electrical Novelty and Manufacturing Company patented the
electric torch (flashlight) powered by D cell batteries

1905 - the company changed its name to The American Ever Ready Company,
selling torches & batteries under the brand "Ever Ready".

1906 - the company established its British subsidiary, British Ever Ready
Electrical Company

1914 - the British Ever Ready company became independent

1986 - the US company became the Eveready Battery Company, Inc.

1992 - Eveready bought the British Ever Ready company again

2000 - Eveready was listed on the NYSE as Energizer Holdings Inc, with
Eveready Battery Company as a child company.

Energizer also owns Schick and Wilkinson Sword. Ever wondered why they are
trying to market razors that vibrate? So they can sell you batteries....

Just as with Procter & Gamble, who own Duracell, Gilette (razors) and Braun
(battery toothbrushes).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , funkyoldcortina
wrote:
On 13/04/12 16:33, charles wrote:

But they are marked Golston not Duracell, how can anyone be confused?
Supermarket shelves are packed with cheap products with brandings that
are heavily "inspired" by the market leaders.

the one designed to confuse is "Eveready".

How so?

because Ever Ready is not the same as EveReady. I first came across the
name in a Japanese tranny in 1963 - which doesn't fit with your timeline.

[...]

From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/12 18:09, charles wrote:
In , funkyoldcortina
wrote:
On 13/04/12 16:33, charles wrote:

But they are marked Golston not Duracell, how can anyone be confused?
Supermarket shelves are packed with cheap products with brandings that
are heavily "inspired" by the market leaders.

the one designed to confuse is "Eveready".

How so?

because Ever Ready is not the same as EveReady. I first came across the
name in a Japanese tranny in 1963 - which doesn't fit with your timeline.

Ever Ready and Eveready are one and the same.

One company that split into two companies (US and British) and is now one
company again.

Can't see why that wouldn't "fit" with the timeline.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Apr 13, 4:15 pm, Adrian C wrote:
[...]

If you didnt agree to any T&Cs at purchase time, there are none that apply

And even if you did, they don't necessarily apply either.