Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fake / inert PP3 batteries

Hi,
Does anyone know where I could buy a couple of inert PP3s. I am making
a display radio and need a couple to put into it. It will hopefully be
on show for many years and so I don't really want to put a genuine
battery in as there will be no one to replace it if it leaks with age.

I had thought about pulling a couple apart but wasn't sure if I could do
it without leaving the case damaged.

Any ideas anyone?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

Does anyone know where I could buy a couple of inert PP3s. I am making a
display radio and need a couple to put into it. It will hopefully be on
show for many years and so I don't really want to put a genuine battery
in as there will be no one to replace it if it leaks with age.

I had thought about pulling a couple apart but wasn't sure if I could do
it without leaving the case damaged.

Any ideas anyone?

search for "PP3 battery eliminator", see if anything useful turns up?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Bill wrote:

Does anyone know where I could buy a couple of inert PP3s.
Any ideas anyone?

search for "PP3 battery eliminator", see if anything useful turns up?

http://www.qcavionix.com/be-9ac.php?cat=20504

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2011 20:05, Bill wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone know where I could buy a couple of inert PP3s. I am making a
display radio and need a couple to put into it. It will hopefully be on
show for many years and so I don't really want to put a genuine battery
in as there will be no one to replace it if it leaks with age.

I had thought about pulling a couple apart but wasn't sure if I could do
it without leaving the case damaged.

Any ideas anyone?

I wouldn't worry. If you pull a PP3 apart you will find each cell looks
like a lump of graphite (or an electric motor brush), not like a
traditional "dry cell" with any damp electrolyte to leak. I've never
known a PP3 to leak significantly. If you go for a duracell and are not
drawing any current, I'd expect it to last forever.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Newshound wrote:

If you pull a PP3 apart you will find each cell looks
like a lump of graphite

The alkaline ones I've pulled apart have six sub-AAAA batteries welded
in series ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:9V..._removal-1.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2011 20:05, Bill wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone know where I could buy a couple of inert PP3s. I am making a
display radio and need a couple to put into it. It will hopefully be on
show for many years and so I don't really want to put a genuine battery
in as there will be no one to replace it if it leaks with age.

I had thought about pulling a couple apart but wasn't sure if I could do
it without leaving the case damaged.

Any ideas anyone?

I have a Bush TR82C with a forty year old Ever Ready PP9 for
authenticity. There is no trace of electrolyte leakage

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Newshound wrote:

If you pull a PP3 apart you will find each cell looks
like a lump of graphite

The alkaline ones I've pulled apart have six sub-AAAA batteries welded
in series ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:9V..._removal-1.jpg

that's quite new.

Always used to be layered graphite ****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 08:19:41 -0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
Newshound wrote:

If you pull a PP3 apart you will find each cell looks
like a lump of graphite

The alkaline ones I've pulled apart have six sub-AAAA batteries welded
in series ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:9V..._removal-1.jpg

that's quite new.

Always used to be layered graphite ****

Maybe they won't now expand when you recharge them.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII:
"When a prang seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slowly and gently as possible."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I found some Hitachi ones like that about two years ago, but these things
designs tend to change like the weather.

If you were willing to take two batteries apart, one by opening the
metal side seam, the other by cutting/drilling out the bottom panel, I
should think you might be able to reassemble the parts to make one
convincing empty battery, fill it with a block of wood to prevent
someone crushing it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Always used to be layered graphite ****

Since when has graphite been used in alkaline cells?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Always used to be layered graphite ****

Since when has graphite been used in alkaline cells?

They used to be zinc carbon cells..last time I pulled one apart.. not
alkaline
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 4, 8:05*pm, Bill wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone know where I could buy a couple of inert PP3s. *I am making
a display radio and need a couple to put into it. *It will hopefully be
on show for many years and so I don't really want to put a genuine
battery in as there will be no one to replace it if it leaks with age.

I had thought about pulling a couple apart but wasn't sure if I could do
it without leaving the case damaged.

Any ideas anyone?

There are a few sites where you can download an image of the paper
cover that wraps around various batteries. Print and wrap round wood.
Mostly theyre scans of historic battery wrappers. Or you could fill in
your own modern looking graphic, with 'nuclear 80 year battery' on
it

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Always used to be layered graphite ****

Since when has graphite been used in alkaline cells?

They used to be zinc carbon cells..last time I pulled one apart.. not
alkaline

+1

Still never had a problem with a manganese alkali one leaking

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 23:17:37 +0000, Newshound
wrote:

On 04/12/2011 20:05, Bill wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone know where I could buy a couple of inert PP3s. I am making a
display radio and need a couple to put into it. It will hopefully be on
show for many years and so I don't really want to put a genuine battery
in as there will be no one to replace it if it leaks with age.

I had thought about pulling a couple apart but wasn't sure if I could do
it without leaving the case damaged.

Any ideas anyone?

I wouldn't worry. If you pull a PP3 apart you will find each cell looks
like a lump of graphite (or an electric motor brush), not like a
traditional "dry cell" with any damp electrolyte to leak. I've never
known a PP3 to leak significantly. If you go for a duracell and are not
drawing any current, I'd expect it to last forever.

I have been involved with one claim about 20 years ago against
Duracell regading their battery guarantee. The battery leaked and
ruined some test gear costing a few hundred quid.

They paid up - if I recall correctly they directly bought the new
equipment and then sent it to us.

The battery? A PP3.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill wrote:
Does anyone know where I could buy a couple of inert PP3s. I am making
a display radio and need a couple to put into it. It will hopefully be
on show for many years and so I don't really want to put a genuine
battery in as there will be no one to replace it if it leaks with age.

They'll last for many many years - provided they aren't discharged.

--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2011 09:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
PP9s of that era were normally metal clad with plastic top and bottoms. In
the case of PP3 types there do seem to be lots of designs about.
Brian

Yes, the alkaline PP3s have little tubular cells, not layered pile.
That's a point, are they the same size as the AAAA cells that you see in
the shops?
Anyway, glad to hear you call them PP3 and not 9V or anything else.
Try asking for a U2 and see what reaction you get.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." writes:

On 05/12/2011 09:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
PP9s of that era were normally metal clad with plastic top and bottoms. In
the case of PP3 types there do seem to be lots of designs about.
Brian

Yes, the alkaline PP3s have little tubular cells, not layered pile.
That's a point, are they the same size as the AAAA cells
that you see in the shops?
Anyway, glad to hear you call them PP3 and not 9V or anything else.
Try asking for a U2 and see what reaction you get.

I still havent found what Im looking for?

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 01:18:23 +0000, "Graham." wrote:

On 05/12/2011 09:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
PP9s of that era were normally metal clad with plastic top and bottoms. In
the case of PP3 types there do seem to be lots of designs about.
Brian

Yes, the alkaline PP3s have little tubular cells, not layered pile.
That's a point, are they the same size as the AAAA cells that you see in
the shops?
Anyway, glad to hear you call them PP3 and not 9V or anything else.
Try asking for a U2 and see what reaction you get.

Just as well they don't sell them. The Russians would shoot you down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 11:36:03 -0000, The Other Mike
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 01:18:23 +0000, "Graham." wrote:

On 05/12/2011 09:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
PP9s of that era were normally metal clad with plastic top and
bottoms. In
the case of PP3 types there do seem to be lots of designs about.
Brian

Yes, the alkaline PP3s have little tubular cells, not layered pile.
That's a point, are they the same size as the AAAA cells that you see in
the shops?
Anyway, glad to hear you call them PP3 and not 9V or anything else.
Try asking for a U2 and see what reaction you get.

Just as well they don't sell them. The Russians would shoot you down.

A high powers battery?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 19:00:03 -0000, polygonum
wrote:

Try asking for a U2 and see what reaction you get.

Just as well they don't sell them. The Russians would shoot you down.

A high powers battery?

Ack! Ack! Sam!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 4, 8:05*pm, Bill wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone know where I could buy a couple of inert PP3s. *I am making
a display radio and need a couple to put into it. *It will hopefully be
on show for many years and so I don't really want to put a genuine
battery in as there will be no one to replace it if it leaks with age.

I had thought about pulling a couple apart but wasn't sure if I could do
it without leaving the case damaged.

Any ideas anyone?

A couple of dowels won't pass muster?
A bit of paint a bit of tinfoil...