Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Fake / inert PP3 batteries

Erm, well after a while they tend to balloon and then they do seap a bit,
not nice.
If you can find the ones that have a metal outside you can take them apart
and you can then remove the innards.

I found some Hitachi ones like that about two years ago, but these things
designs tend to change like the weather.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Newshound" wrote in message
On 04/12/2011 20:05, Bill wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone know where I could buy a couple of inert PP3s. I am making a
display radio and need a couple to put into it. It will hopefully be on
show for many years and so I don't really want to put a genuine battery
in as there will be no one to replace it if it leaks with age.

I had thought about pulling a couple apart but wasn't sure if I could do
it without leaving the case damaged.

Any ideas anyone?

I wouldn't worry. If you pull a PP3 apart you will find each cell looks
like a lump of graphite (or an electric motor brush), not like a
traditional "dry cell" with any damp electrolyte to leak. I've never known
a PP3 to leak significantly. If you go for a duracell and are not drawing
any current, I'd expect it to last forever.