Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_2_] Graham.[_2_] is offline

Default Golston fake Duracell Batteries

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 16:15:29 +0100, Adrian C
wrote:

On 13/04/2012 15:47, Martin Brown wrote:
I ran into an interesting one today. A failed microphone battery that at
first glance was obviously a leaking Duracell AAA cell.

But on closer inspection after getting it out of the unit was a clever
clone using exactly the same paint job copper top, black body and white
writing but instead of Duracell it said "Golston". The battery had
leaked quite badly and caustic had damaged the unit.

Seems Golston are a real Chinese battery company and these fakes no
longer form a part of their product line according to their website. Any
seen them for sale in the UK?

They seem to work OK as alkaline batteries as long as you don't leave
them to leak all over after they have fully discharged. The result with
pink caustic goo everywhere was not nice to handle.

Related:

I'm trying to find the T&C's of Duracell UK concerning equipment damage
from leakage. Seems a bit elusive, to make me wonder if they have
dropped it over here.

"Leaked Duracell commercial"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_3SvAk0jRA

I've got a leakage ruined POS digital camera of no great value, but ...

Gosh, that takes me back to the late '80 and I was asked to collect
together some examples of TV remote controls complete with corroded
batteries from a troublesome batch that leaked early in their life.

This was at the request of the management of a big hotel in Manchester
who were suffering hundreds of failures and were testing Mallory's
supposed guarantee in these matters. I don't recall what the outcome
was.

Part of Proctor and Gamble now, I see.

--
Graham.