Reestit Mutton

Default leaking heat exchanger in combi boiler (was:Vokera Linea 24 - heatexchanger )

Apologies for the repeated post but, after sending the original post, I
decided that the title of the thread wasn't particularly informative.

original post attached below:

If you recall, I posted a while back about loss of pressure on my combi
system which required topping up every few weeks or so.

At the time, it was suggested that I shouldn't be too worried as the
likely rate of loss was such that it would probably evaporate on or soon
after escape.

N-E-way.....I've had my boiler serviced today and the engineer showed me
where the water was being lost - there is a leak in the heat exchanger
!!! (evidenced by a water droplet in one corner and what looks to be
watermarks down one side of the chamber) This leads me to ask a few
further questions

(1) Apart from the fact that this part of the boiler is expensive to
replace (£150+), is this a particularly serious problem? i.e. would the
boiler be adversely affected if we were to continue using the boiler
without replacing this part for now? - probably a silly question, I know
- but worth asking nonetheless.

(2) Does anyone here find it surprising that the heat exchanger needs to
be replaced on a 2 year old combi system? - I'm not so much suspicious
of the engineer's prognosis as the original installer's incompetence or
the manufacturer's dodgy product.

(3) Would it be reasonable for me to suggest to the manufacturer that
the product is not really fit for purpose, namely years of trouble free
operation? i.e. although the warranty was only for 1 year, would it be
reasonable to expect trouble-free operation for a longer period?

cheers,
RM
--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:25:34 +0000, Reestit Mutton wrote:

[...]

It depends how bad the leak is. By the book any pro is not going to let
you carry on using it. Essentially if you get water in the electrics then
you'll have a boiler then is then beyond economic repair.

(2) Does anyone here find it surprising that the heat exchanger needs to
be replaced on a 2 year old combi system? - I'm not so much suspicious
of the engineer's prognosis as the original installer's incompetence or
the manufacturer's dodgy product.

Manufacturers who offer 2 or more years guarantee don't tend to make heat
exchangers which are so short lived.

(3) Would it be reasonable for me to suggest to the manufacturer that
the product is not really fit for purpose, namely years of trouble free
operation? i.e. although the warranty was only for 1 year, would it be
reasonable to expect trouble-free operation for a longer period?

I doubt you'll make much progress but you never know.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Andy Hall

================================================= =======================

[...]

It's probably going to get worse quite quickly due to the constant
expansion and contraction of the heat exchanger...

The water will corrode the case and wreck anything electrical.

(2) Does anyone here find it surprising that the heat exchanger needs to
be replaced on a 2 year old combi system? - I'm not so much suspicious
of the engineer's prognosis as the original installer's incompetence or
the manufacturer's dodgy product.

That does seem a bit unreasonable.

(3) Would it be reasonable for me to suggest to the manufacturer that
the product is not really fit for purpose, namely years of trouble free
operation? i.e. although the warranty was only for 1 year, would it be
reasonable to expect trouble-free operation for a longer period?

That would depend on the quality and price point of the product.
My gut feel would be that if it's a £300-400 job then you probably
would not realistically get recompense. If it's a £700+ job then
yes.

When I have taken legal advice in the past regarding consumer capital
products like this, then the comment has been that reasonableness
principles would be applied by the court. An unwritten principle is,
I am told, that if, looking across the field, the product is in the
lowest quartile of price then expectations should be limited and in
the highest quartile one can expect a lot.

cheers,
RM

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Reestit Mutton

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:25:34 +0000, Reestit Mutton wrote:

(1) Apart from the fact that this part of the boiler is expensive to
replace (£150+), is this a particularly serious problem? i.e. would the
boiler be adversely affected if we were to continue using the boiler
without replacing this part for now? - probably a silly question, I know
- but worth asking nonetheless.

It depends how bad the leak is. By the book any pro is not going to let
you carry on using it. Essentially if you get water in the electrics then
you'll have a boiler then is then beyond economic repair.

That's what I thought. I'm waiting for a a ote for parts and labour from
the guy who serviced it. I'm expecting a bill in excess of £200.

(2) Does anyone here find it surprising that the heat exchanger needs to
be replaced on a 2 year old combi system? - I'm not so much suspicious
of the engineer's prognosis as the original installer's incompetence or
the manufacturer's dodgy product.

Manufacturers who offer 2 or more years guarantee don't tend to make heat
exchangers which are so short lived.

So I take it that this isn't necessarily surprising then?

(3) Would it be reasonable for me to suggest to the manufacturer that
the product is not really fit for purpose, namely years of trouble free
operation? i.e. although the warranty was only for 1 year, would it be
reasonable to expect trouble-free operation for a longer period?

I doubt you'll make much progress but you never know.

Yep - If I decide to confront the manufacturer I don't expect it will be
easy.

thanks,
RM

--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com

John Daragon

Reestit Mutton wrote:

Snip

(1) Apart from the fact that this part of the boiler is expensive to
replace (£150+), is this a particularly serious problem? i.e. would the
boiler be adversely affected if we were to continue using the boiler
without replacing this part for now? - probably a silly question, I know
- but worth asking nonetheless.

My experience with a Vokera boiler (which had been installed in a flat
conversion I had a while ago) is that the leak in the heat exchanger will
get worse relatively quickly.

(2) Does anyone here find it surprising that the heat exchanger needs to
be replaced on a 2 year old combi system? - I'm not so much suspicious
of the engineer's prognosis as the original installer's incompetence or
the manufacturer's dodgy product.

In general, yes. As it's a Vokera, well, no.

(3) Would it be reasonable for me to suggest to the manufacturer that
the product is not really fit for purpose, namely years of trouble free
operation? i.e. although the warranty was only for 1 year, would it be
reasonable to expect trouble-free operation for a longer period?

Absolutely. I shouted about mine and the manufacturer replaced it.

Mind you, after several *other* leaks over about 8 years I did the decent
thing and bought a Vaillant.

jd

--
John Daragon argv[0] limited
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK

Reestit Mutton

John Daragon wrote:
Reestit Mutton wrote:

(3) Would it be reasonable for me to suggest to the manufacturer that
the product is not really fit for purpose, namely years of trouble free
operation? i.e. although the warranty was only for 1 year, would it be
reasonable to expect trouble-free operation for a longer period?

Absolutely. I shouted about mine and the manufacturer replaced it.

Hi John,

Do you have any advice as to how I can go about this?

I'm usually rather good at complaining but I've never dealt with a
situation where, on paper, I haven't got a leg to stand on.

Are there any source of info that would back up my argument that 2 years
is a pitiful length of time for a failure of this sort to occur within?

cheers,
RM

--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com

Reestit Mutton

Andy Hall wrote:

It's probably going to get worse quite quickly due to the constant
expansion and contraction of the heat exchanger...

The water will corrode the case and wreck anything electrical.

Yep - understood.

(2) Does anyone here find it surprising that the heat exchanger needs to
be replaced on a 2 year old combi system? - I'm not so much suspicious
of the engineer's prognosis as the original installer's incompetence or
the manufacturer's dodgy product.

That does seem a bit unreasonable.

That was my suspicion.

[...]

Understood.

However, I haven't a clue what this one cost as it was pre-installed in
a renovated property that we bought 2 years ago (although we do have
evidence that it was new at the time we moved in).

Does anyone know if a Vokera Linea 24 is expensive or not in its class?

thanks,
RM

--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com

Reestit Mutton

I've sent my first salvo in the form of a (polite, but firm) email
complaint and I'll let you know how it progresses.

cheers,
RM

--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com

Andy Hall

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 22:46:14 +0000, Reestit Mutton
wrote:

Understood.

However, I haven't a clue what this one cost as it was pre-installed in
a renovated property that we bought 2 years ago (although we do have
evidence that it was new at the time we moved in).

Does anyone know if a Vokera Linea 24 is expensive or not in its class?

thanks,
RM

Well.... Discounted Heating (which is generally trade price plus a
bit) has these at £620 inc.

Pricewise this is mid range, so I would normally pursue it.

However, a couple of things.

Looking at the SEDBUK database, there have been two versions of the
Linea 24. One from 1998 to 2001, and then the 24e from 2001 to date.
I suspect that the latter is just to get it withing the minimum 78%
efficiency requirement. So.... unless you know otherwise, the
boiler could be five years old. There might be a manufacturing date
on the plate.......although you say you have evidence of newness.

Normallyy, in consumer legislation, you would have a contract with
whoever supplied it. Had you bought it from a fitter, then your
redress would be there, if from a merchant then there.
However, you seem to have bought it with the property. If you have
or can get details of whoever supplied or fitted it from the vendor of
your house then you could pursue that.

The manufacturer does not legally have to do anything because he never
had a contractual relationship with you or the vendor of your
property.

So... it probably comes down to how much time you want to spend trying
to pursue this. You could try the manufacturer, but I am not sure
that they will roll over - worth a phone call, though. Otherwise
it's track back the other way.....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Reestit Mutton

Andy Hall wrote:

SNIP

Normally, in consumer legislation, you would have a contract with
whoever supplied it. Had you bought it from a fitter, then your
redress would be there, if from a merchant then there.
However, you seem to have bought it with the property. If you have
or can get details of whoever supplied or fitted it from the vendor of
your house then you could pursue that.

The manufacturer does not legally have to do anything because he never
had a contractual relationship with you or the vendor of your
property.

So... it probably comes down to how much time you want to spend trying
to pursue this. You could try the manufacturer, but I am not sure
that they will roll over - worth a phone call, though. Otherwise
it's track back the other way.....

Cheers, Andy - very informative.

It seems odd that the manufacturer can wash its hands of the affair just
because there was a middleman involved. Surely the manufacturer is still
ultimately responsible?

RM

--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com

IMM

"John Daragon" wrote in message
Reestit Mutton wrote:

Snip

(1) Apart from the fact that this part of the boiler is expensive to
replace (£150+), is this a particularly serious problem? i.e. would the
boiler be adversely affected if we were to continue using the boiler
without replacing this part for now? - probably a silly question, I know
- but worth asking nonetheless.

My experience with a Vokera boiler (which had been installed in a flat
conversion I had a while ago) is that the leak in the heat exchanger will
get worse relatively quickly.

(2) Does anyone here find it surprising that the heat exchanger needs to
be replaced on a 2 year old combi system? - I'm not so much suspicious
of the engineer's prognosis as the original installer's incompetence or
the manufacturer's dodgy product.

In general, yes. As it's a Vokera, well, no.

I know an installer who does work for a housing association and only
installs Vokeras. He rates them highly. He also repairs them too, so he is
not long gone when problems arise.

---

Jinx

Well since having may vokera i've had to fix it every year around about now!
I've had the loss of system pressure for a year or so now, its just broke
again this time the flow micro switch has failed! My plan is to get through
this winter hopefully ( fingers crossed) and then spend sometime next year
finding a decent boiler (condensing )
My savour with the vokera boiler is that the fitter left me with the manuals
which are very good! found most problems within half an hour.
Your post has just confirmed what i already knew.

Mark

"John Daragon" wrote in message
Reestit Mutton wrote:

Snip

[...]

Andy Hall

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 23:26:30 +0000, Reestit Mutton
wrote:

Cheers, Andy - very informative.

It seems odd that the manufacturer can wash its hands of the affair just
because there was a middleman involved. Surely the manufacturer is still
ultimately responsible?

RM

It's a long saga and you need to look through things like the various
Sale of Goods Acts, trading standards etc.

Ultimately the manufacturer may have to resolve the problem but the
contract is between buyer and seller. The seller then makes redress
to the manufacturer or perhaps the next organisation up the chain.
Things like manufacturer warranties don't supercede the law, they are
simply a commercial convenience. It may be that the manufacturer is
better equipped to resolve the issue, and is providing the warranty to
make it easier for the seller. This pleases the seller, because
although the responsibility is with him, the manufacturer saves him
hassle. However, none of this goes instead of the seller's
responsibility. Depending on the circumstances, redress *can* be (not
is) up to 6 years.

There is a logic in this, because it can easily be that the
manufacturer is off shore and has only the seller representing him.
If the responsibility was the manufacturer's then the consumer would
have to pursue the manufacturer if the arrangement were that way.
Clearly that's not reasonable and so the hierarchical approach.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Laird

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 22:46:14 +0000, Reestit Mutton wrote:

However, I haven't a clue what this one cost as it was pre-installed in
a renovated property that we bought 2 years ago (although we do have
evidence that it was new at the time we moved in).

Does anyone know if a Vokera Linea 24 is expensive or not in its class?

Heat exchanger is £60 or £65 plus VAT and delivery from
http://www.mjtcontrols.co.uk I have a different Vokera model which appears
to have a much more expensive part, however from the installation
instructions I reckon even I with 10 thumbs could replace it within 30-60
minutes. If yours is a combi it may be slightly trickier but then again
maybe not. As boilers go, they are neither cheap nor particularly dear, but
a failure of a critical component so early on ought to be unacceptable. You
could maybe push for a full replacement foc, but be prepared to be haggled
down to 50:50 or them paying parts and you labour (this sort of compromise
seems quite common in the car industry).

--
If everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Mail john rather than nospam...
Reestit Mutton

John Laird wrote:
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 22:46:14 +0000, Reestit Mutton wrote:

However, I haven't a clue what this one cost as it was pre-installed in
a renovated property that we bought 2 years ago (although we do have
evidence that it was new at the time we moved in).

Does anyone know if a Vokera Linea 24 is expensive or not in its class?

Heat exchanger is £60 or £65 plus VAT and delivery from
http://www.mjtcontrols.co.uk

Interesting - Vokera quoted me approx £140 + VAT.
Can anyone recommend mjtcontrols as a source of boiler parts?...just in
case I get nowhere with the manufacturer.

I have a different Vokera model which appears
to have a much more expensive part, however from the installation
instructions I reckon even I with 10 thumbs could replace it within 30-60
minutes.

Again, the engineer has just quoted me approx £220 all-in to fix it - I
guess that allows for 1 hour of work at £30/hour in addition to the
exchanger and an insulation pad (to replace the one that has water marks
all over it).

If I get nowhere with the manufacturer, I'll probably suggest to the
engineer that I source the parts and just pay him for labour.

If yours is a combi it may be slightly trickier but then again
maybe not.

Yep - it is a combi.

As boilers go, they are neither cheap nor particularly dear, but
a failure of a critical component so early on ought to be unacceptable. You
could maybe push for a full replacement foc, but be prepared to be haggled
down to 50:50 or them paying parts and you labour (this sort of compromise
seems quite common in the car industry).

Yep - my plan is to send them the engineer's quote and I'd probably
settle for replacement parts in the end and call the engineer back to
fit them.

RM

--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com

John Laird

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 11:32:04 +0000, Reestit Mutton wrote:

John Laird wrote:
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 22:46:14 +0000, Reestit Mutton wrote:

However, I haven't a clue what this one cost as it was pre-installed in
a renovated property that we bought 2 years ago (although we do have
evidence that it was new at the time we moved in).

Does anyone know if a Vokera Linea 24 is expensive or not in its class?

Heat exchanger is £60 or £65 plus VAT and delivery from
http://www.mjtcontrols.co.uk

Interesting - Vokera quoted me approx £140 + VAT.
Can anyone recommend mjtcontrols as a source of boiler parts?...just in
case I get nowhere with the manufacturer.

Highly - they supplied me with a new control unit when mine conked out in
the coldest spell last New Year. Placed an internet order Sunday evening,
box arrived first thing Tuesday. When I got a new fan from them a bit
later, the guy who answered the phone was able to get one down "off the
shelf" and tell me whether it came with a new gasket or not. That's the
kind of service I appreciate. Both genuine parts - can't imagine there
being enough of a market to justify pattern replacements. In your case, the
fact that they offer two heat exchangers suggests you'd need to talk to
someone and be able to describe the part or understand how they might
describe the differences.

I have a different Vokera model which appears
to have a much more expensive part, however from the installation
instructions I reckon even I with 10 thumbs could replace it within 30-60
minutes.

Again, the engineer has just quoted me approx £220 all-in to fix it - I
guess that allows for 1 hour of work at £30/hour in addition to the
exchanger and an insulation pad (to replace the one that has water marks
all over it).

If I get nowhere with the manufacturer, I'll probably suggest to the
engineer that I source the parts and just pay him for labour.

I'm sure that'll go down like a lead balloon, unless he's a really genuine
guy and that is the price he thinks he has to pay. Otoh, that labour charge
seems quite reasonable.

If yours is a combi it may be slightly trickier but then again
maybe not.

Yep - it is a combi.

It occurred to me that they may be slightly more complicated plumbing-wise,
but then maybe not. On my boiler, all I would have to do would be remove
the cover and the front panel (both easy), turn the inline taps off to
isolate the boiler from the plumbing, release the safety valve to empty the
boiler and then disconnect the heat exchanger from the internal pipework (4
screws). Apart from not spilling the contents over the electrical bits
underneath, it does not look too tricky.

As boilers go, they are neither cheap nor particularly dear, but
a failure of a critical component so early on ought to be unacceptable. You
could maybe push for a full replacement foc, but be prepared to be haggled
down to 50:50 or them paying parts and you labour (this sort of compromise
seems quite common in the car industry).

Yep - my plan is to send them the engineer's quote and I'd probably
settle for replacement parts in the end and call the engineer back to
fit them.

If you can quote the boiler serial number (assuming there is one), they may
be able to ascertain when/if it was registered for guarantee purposes.

--
To err is human; to blame it on someone else is politics.

Mail john rather than nospam...
Reestit Mutton

John Laird wrote:
[...]

Thanks John - useful to know.

If I get nowhere with the manufacturer, I'll probably suggest to the
engineer that I source the parts and just pay him for labour.

I'm sure that'll go down like a lead balloon, unless he's a really genuine
guy and that is the price he thinks he has to pay. Otoh, that labour charge
seems quite reasonable.

He's of the "genuine guy" kind - I got him through a number of personal
recommendations.

Agreed - At £140 plus VAT for the part plus whatever an insulation pad
costs (no doubt at least £30+ from the manufacturer), I'm sure he's just
costed the labour based on an hour's work at £30.

It occurred to me that they may be slightly more complicated plumbing-wise,
but then maybe not. On my boiler, all I would have to do would be remove
the cover and the front panel (both easy), turn the inline taps off to
isolate the boiler from the plumbing, release the safety valve to empty the
boiler and then disconnect the heat exchanger from the internal pipework (4
screws). Apart from not spilling the contents over the electrical bits
underneath, it does not look too tricky.

I'd love to try it myself but I'd be surprised if my partner would let
me anywhere near the boiler.

Yep - my plan is to send them the engineer's quote and I'd probably
settle for replacement parts in the end and call the engineer back to
fit them.

If you can quote the boiler serial number (assuming there is one), they may
be able to ascertain when/if it was registered for guarantee purposes.

Yep - I've already given them that information and my address so that
they can look up its service history and details of any engineer
callouts that we've had within the warranty period.

I'm now trying to find the development company that commissioned the
boiler so that I can pass the details of their installer on to the
manufacturer to help support the claim.

Vokera have already passed my comments on to their "technical compliance
& quality assurance manager" which is certainly better than a flat refusal.

cheers,
RM

--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com

Ed Sirett

wrote:

[...]

It is possible that they changed from a permanent pilot to an electronic
one hence the 'e' and the small hike in efficiency.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Reestit Mutton

Default UPDATE: leaking heat exchanger in combi boiler

Hi,

It seems I got a result of sorts with the manufacturer - As a gesture of
goodwill, they've agreed to offer us a 40% discount on parts and labour
for this repair. Seems foolish for me not to accept this and move on.

I would like to thank everyone who has advised me on this issue.

cheers,
RM
--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com

Andy Hall

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:14:36 +0000, Reestit Mutton
wrote:

Hi,

It seems I got a result of sorts with the manufacturer - As a gesture of
goodwill, they've agreed to offer us a 40% discount on parts and labour
for this repair. Seems foolish for me not to accept this and move on.

I would like to thank everyone who has advised me on this issue.

cheers,
RM

Great. I think that that is a fair outcome.......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Condensing boiler - odd installation mike.james UK diy 57 October 27th 03 08:19 PM
gas boiler thermocouple Stoney UK diy 56 October 20th 03 09:02 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM
heat exchanger calculations Ed Sirett UK diy 2 July 19th 03 12:49 AM