Jinx

Default leaking heat exchanger in combi boiler (was:Vokera Linea 24 - heat exchanger )

Well since having may vokera i've had to fix it every year around about now!
I've had the loss of system pressure for a year or so now, its just broke
again this time the flow micro switch has failed! My plan is to get through
this winter hopefully ( fingers crossed) and then spend sometime next year
finding a decent boiler (condensing )
My savour with the vokera boiler is that the fitter left me with the manuals
which are very good! found most problems within half an hour.
Your post has just confirmed what i already knew.

Mark

"John Daragon" wrote in message
Reestit Mutton wrote:

Snip

(1) Apart from the fact that this part of the boiler is expensive to
replace (£150+), is this a particularly serious problem? i.e. would the
boiler be adversely affected if we were to continue using the boiler
without replacing this part for now? - probably a silly question, I know
- but worth asking nonetheless.

My experience with a Vokera boiler (which had been installed in a flat
conversion I had a while ago) is that the leak in the heat exchanger will
get worse relatively quickly.

(2) Does anyone here find it surprising that the heat exchanger needs to
be replaced on a 2 year old combi system? - I'm not so much suspicious
of the engineer's prognosis as the original installer's incompetence or
the manufacturer's dodgy product.

In general, yes. As it's a Vokera, well, no.

(3) Would it be reasonable for me to suggest to the manufacturer that
the product is not really fit for purpose, namely years of trouble free
operation? i.e. although the warranty was only for 1 year, would it be
reasonable to expect trouble-free operation for a longer period?

Absolutely. I shouted about mine and the manufacturer replaced it.

Mind you, after several *other* leaks over about 8 years I did the decent
thing and bought a Vaillant.

jd

--
John Daragon argv[0] limited
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK