Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Making a piano tuning lever

On 20/11/2011 23:55, Matty F wrote:
A piano tuning lever is basically like a small socket spanner with a
big lever on it. They can cost up to US$700, and the cheap ones are
useless.

I wish to make one. It will be much stronger than the commercial ones
so it won't twist and flex like they do. It will have a square hole so
it doesn't slip or damage the pins.

The hard part is to make a square hole. I think I will make a tapered
steel pin, drill a round hole in a steel rod and put it in the forge
until it's red hot and hammer it around the pin.
Attaching a handle will be easy. Or I may as well bend the rod in the
forge too.

When I tune my piano I won't be using this "equal temperament" rubbish
or any electronic devices! I want to tune it the way Mozart or Bach
would have wanted.

Any better suggestions for making a tapered square hole in steel? I
have access to a milling machine, drill press, lathe, welder and
forge, and lots of files.

I thought the tool in question was called a "Tuning Hammer", but I have
no idea why.

I think you are in New Zealand, maybe it's a regional UK or European thing.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 1, 6:36 am, "Graham." wrote:

I thought the tool in question was called a "Tuning Hammer", but I have
no idea why.

I think you are in New Zealand, maybe it's a regional UK or European thing.

I have seen it called a tuning hammer but I refuse to call it that
because it's a stupid name. Just another piece of jargon invented by
people who want their craft to seem mysterious and difficult and
needing a lifetime of training, i.e. to keep out d-i-yers like us.

My piano was about three notes flat so I have now tuned it to A=440,
and will wait until it settles down before fine tuning.
I can now play Bach's Jesu on it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

My piano was about three notes flat so I have now tuned it to A=440,
and will wait until it settles down before fine tuning.
I can now play Bach's Jesu on it.

Electronic tuning meters certainly appear to make tuning strings somewhat
easier than working off the harmonics of other strings.
I have one on my phone that can display the notes and frequencies and its
free.

Getting rid of a piano. endymion UK diy 142 August 27th 08 10:58 PM
PAY / INSPIRATION - Piano Tuning Tool Case J T Woodworking 0 February 22nd 06 07:04 PM
Making furniture from a grand piano [email protected] Woodworking 4 August 15th 05 10:48 AM
Lever in the Way Dr. Deb Woodturning 13 February 24th 05 09:39 PM
Old Piano. wanderer UK diy 42 August 24th 04 10:38 PM