wanderer

Default Old Piano.

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:39:35 +0100, mich wrote:

Not strictly DIY, but not strictly anything else either.

There is an old upright piano (age and condition not determinable by the
unmusical me, although its certainly not in tune and hasn't been tuned in my
care) in my sitting room. It is not mine. It was just left by its owner. I
did contact the owner about it but never got a reply. That was five years
ago.

Are you still in contact with the owner? If you are, it would be prudent
to send a letter recorded delivery telling him you intend to dispose of
the piano in, say, 28 days from the date of the letter.

If not, just go ahead and do it.

Its in the way. Suggestions as to what I can/ might do about it ( polite and
practical ones please).

Old peoples' home, Sally Ann, village or community association hall or
similar?

--
wanderer at tesco dot net

Ian Stirling

mich wrote:
Not strictly DIY, but not strictly anything else either.

There is an old upright piano (age and condition not determinable by the
unmusical me, although its certainly not in tune and hasn't been tuned in my
care) in my sitting room. It is not mine. It was just left by its owner. I
did contact the owner about it but never got a reply. That was five years
ago.

Its in the way. Suggestions as to what I can/ might do about it ( polite and
practical ones please).

Tuner + piano lessons?
mich

"wanderer" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:39:35 +0100, mich wrote:

Not strictly DIY, but not strictly anything else either.

There is an old upright piano (age and condition not determinable by

the
unmusical me, although its certainly not in tune and hasn't been tuned

in my
care) in my sitting room. It is not mine. It was just left by its

owner. I
did contact the owner about it but never got a reply. That was five

years
ago.

Are you still in contact with the owner? If you are, it would be prudent
to send a letter recorded delivery telling him you intend to dispose of
the piano in, say, 28 days from the date of the letter.

Complicated story.

I am not in contact with the owner. She is ( was) my brothers ex wife. At
the time of their divorce ( the last address I had for her) I asked her if
she would take her piano out of my care - she had left it with me some ten
years earlier to "store it" because she didnt have room for it. That was
in my last house. I moved five years ago and took the piano with me because
I didnt like to throw it out since it wasnt mine! She sold the marital home
to buy a place with another partner . She fell out with him and moved
again. She found another bloke and two years being up she applied for a
divorce from my brother ( my brother cited adultery for various reasons like
she tried to take him to the cleaners and blame him for the marriage
breakdown and wanted his worldly goods and it got rather bitter) and she
moved ( with yet another partner) and would not tell my brother where she
was going, hence I have no knowledge of her current wherabouts.

If not, just go ahead and do it.

Its in the way. Suggestions as to what I can/ might do about it ( polite

and
practical ones please).

Old peoples' home, Sally Ann, village or community association hall or
similar?

Ah. never thought about that. Didnt think anyone wanted piano's these days.
Thanks.

Owain

"mich" wrote
| It is not mine. It was just left by its owner. I
| did contact the owner about it but never got a reply.
| That was five years ago.
| Are you still in contact with the owner? If you are, it
| would be prudent to send a letter recorded delivery telling
| him you intend to dispose of the piano in, say, 28 days
| from the date of the letter.
| I am not in contact with the owner. ... hence I have no knowledge
| of her current wherabouts.

Nonetheless, a recorded delivery letter to this woman's last known address
would be a prudent move. It should be returned by the PO as 'not known'.
Keep it safe, and if the woman does turn up claiming her piano and
threatening lawsuits you can use the returned letter as evidence that you
did take reasonable steps to locate her before considering her property
abandoned.

Owain

Graeme

"Owain" wrote in message
"mich" wrote
| It is not mine. It was just left by its owner. I
| did contact the owner about it but never got a reply.
| That was five years ago.
| Are you still in contact with the owner? If you are, it
| would be prudent to send a letter recorded delivery telling
| him you intend to dispose of the piano in, say, 28 days
| from the date of the letter.
| I am not in contact with the owner. ... hence I have no knowledge
| of her current wherabouts.

Nonetheless, a recorded delivery letter to this woman's last known address
would be a prudent move. It should be returned by the PO as 'not known'.
Keep it safe, and if the woman does turn up claiming her piano and
threatening lawsuits you can use the returned letter as evidence that you
did take reasonable steps to locate her before considering her property
abandoned.

And when the old slapper does turn up, you can also charge her for storage.

scorch

"Mike Harrison" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:39:35 +0100, "mich" wrote:

Not strictly DIY, but not strictly anything else either.

There is an old upright piano (age and condition not determinable by

the
unmusical me, although its certainly not in tune and hasn't been tuned in

my
care) in my sitting room. It is not mine. It was just left by its owner.

did contact the owner about it but never got a reply. That was five years
ago.

Its in the way. Suggestions as to what I can/ might do about it ( polite

and
practical ones please).

Sell it on ebay.

Normal practice is to hit with hammer until all pieces are postable through
a BSI sized letterbox.

Mike Mitchell

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:39:35 +0100, "mich" wrote:

Not strictly DIY, but not strictly anything else either.

There is an old upright piano (age and condition not determinable by the
unmusical me, although its certainly not in tune and hasn't been tuned in my
care) in my sitting room. It is not mine. It was just left by its owner. I
did contact the owner about it but never got a reply. That was five years
ago.

Its in the way. Suggestions as to what I can/ might do about it ( polite and
practical ones please).

Ah, you're talking to the master here! I have had countless old pianos
in my lifetime. I treasure old pianos, though many are simply crap,
turned out in their thousands in the East End in the 1920s and not
worth the iron they cast as the frame. But some are worth saving and
restoring. One big problem with pianos of all ages is their weight.
They really are a bugger to move around, especially up or down stairs.

Its condition depends on whether it has been kept in the right kind of
atmosphere. Too dry or too damp will ruin even a Steinway. Also, if it
is wildly out of tune, you may never get it into tune again, or if you
do, the tuning will slip after a short while. Note that pianos used to
tune A above middle C to 435 Hz, not 440, so you may never get modern
concert pitch out of it. However, a piano can be restrung, a new
soundboard is not impossible (not for a DIY-er, though) and the whole
action can be overhauled.

Whatever you do, please don't just break it up unless there is no
other way. Many kids might love having a piano, but it never occurred
to their parents to get them one. Even if you only get a nominal fee
(or nowt) for it, you might have the satisfaction in your dotage of
seeing the Leeds Piano Competition winner on TV whose tentative first
forays on the keyboard were done on your old piano!

I LOVE pianos!

MM
Mike Mitchell

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:14:21 +0100, "mich" wrote:

"wanderer" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You see! I always knew an old piano had a story to tell!

MM

Frank Erskine

In article , mich
writes
Not strictly DIY, but not strictly anything else either.

There is an old upright piano (age and condition not determinable by the
unmusical me, although its certainly not in tune and hasn't been tuned in my
care) in my sitting room. It is not mine. It was just left by its owner. I
did contact the owner about it but never got a reply. That was five years
ago.

Its in the way. Suggestions as to what I can/ might do about it ( polite and
practical ones please).

My Grandma, who died some 40+ years ago, left an upright piano, which I
dismantled. I remember having a hell of a job getting rid of the iron
frame, but I did recover hundreds of wood screws about No 8 x 1" with a
semi-round (sort of mushroom) head. I still have a few of them
somewhere! I think there were about 3 per note, plus quite a few others.

I once had ideas of using the keys as the basis for a nelectronic organ,
but I still haven't got a round tuit (nor do I know where the keys
went!).

--
Frank Erskine

PJ

[...]

Just put the thing on the local tip and be done with it.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
PJ wrote:
Just put the thing on the local tip and be done with it.

You can't be sure it hasn't some value. Could even be quite a bit - worth
the effort of finding out, anyway.

--
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Ian Stirling

Graeme wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
"mich" wrote
| It is not mine. It was just left by its owner. I
| did contact the owner about it but never got a reply.
| That was five years ago.
| Are you still in contact with the owner? If you are, it
| would be prudent to send a letter recorded delivery telling
| him you intend to dispose of the piano in, say, 28 days
| from the date of the letter.
| I am not in contact with the owner. ... hence I have no knowledge
| of her current wherabouts.

Nonetheless, a recorded delivery letter to this woman's last known address
would be a prudent move. It should be returned by the PO as 'not known'.
Keep it safe, and if the woman does turn up claiming her piano and
threatening lawsuits you can use the returned letter as evidence that you
did take reasonable steps to locate her before considering her property
abandoned.

And when the old slapper does turn up, you can also charge her for storage.

And destruction/tipping?

mich

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Graeme wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
"mich" wrote
| It is not mine. It was just left by its owner. I
| did contact the owner about it but never got a reply.
| That was five years ago.
| Are you still in contact with the owner? If you are, it
| would be prudent to send a letter recorded delivery telling
| him you intend to dispose of the piano in, say, 28 days
| from the date of the letter.
| I am not in contact with the owner. ... hence I have no knowledge
| of her current wherabouts.

And when the old slapper does turn up, you can also charge her for

storage.

And destruction/tipping?

Thanks for suggestion to everyone.

I am reluctant to destroy it myself largely because it isn't mine even
though I couldn't care less if someone else broke it up.
As for charges , that raises a smile. I have never been paid for storage
for those ten years. I wonder how much that could come to? Maybe I could
get my brother a little of the money she took from him?

The other problem is of course the actual practical difficulty of moving/
taking way, which will cost. When I moved house five years ago I had to pay
extra for the piano and some removers wouldn't even look at the job.
It is heavy and a b***** to shift.

Cost of removal I reckon would be about £100 based on the figures I got
then.
I do know the council will not take it and I cant take it down the amenity
tip/ recycling tip because it needs a van to transport it ( I have a VW
Polo, I cant see me getting it in the boot somehow) and the tip will not let
vans onto the site without an extra charge ( any van is commercial according
to them). Again £100 cost to get rid of it there plus the cost of a van
hire.

My only viable option may be to break it up unless someone wants it for free
and is willing to pay the cost of taking it away.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
mich wrote:
My only viable option may be to break it up unless someone wants it for
free and is willing to pay the cost of taking it away.

Have you contacted a piano dealer? It's possible it has some value, and
they would arrange transport.

--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Spiral Dive

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
mich wrote:
My only viable option may be to break it up unless someone wants it for
free and is willing to pay the cost of taking it away.

Have you contacted a piano dealer? It's possible it has some value, and
they would arrange transport.

Hi,
I just went through a similar thing and found someone who wanted it for £20
as we upgraded to a Yamaha.

Find out the Make and model (should be on front or near keys, or inside -
lift the lid where you'll find the serial number.) The ring a Piano\Music
store and give them the details, they should be able to date it and give you
a rough value.

There's also the option of E-Bay if it's a good one...

Cheers,
Paul

stuart noble

Have you contacted a piano dealer? It's possible it has some value, and
they would arrange transport.

Pianos have no value at all, unless of course you're looking to buy one :-)
I had reason to consider selling a Bechstein grand for someone recently. I
happen to know it's in perfect condition but dealers wanted to "take it off
my hands" and the auctioneer said it might fetch £200. In the end it went on
extended loan to the local schools' music and drama centre.

Mary Fisher

"mich" wrote in message

My only viable option may be to break it up unless someone wants it for

free
and is willing to pay the cost of taking it away.

We broke one up by lending the kids a sledgehammer. Hours of fun for them.

It was a great shame in a way but it was in an irreparable state even before
the sledgehammer application, having had the hammers walked on by one of the
boys. It wasn't good even before that although I did accompany a daughter's
fiddle and double bass ... and one of the boys taught himself to play on it.
The noise was awful. It was a mercy for everyone, especially the neighbours,
when it went.

Mary

raden

In message , mich
writes

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Graeme wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
"mich" wrote
| It is not mine. It was just left by its owner. I
| did contact the owner about it but never got a reply.
| That was five years ago.
| Are you still in contact with the owner? If you are, it
| would be prudent to send a letter recorded delivery telling
| him you intend to dispose of the piano in, say, 28 days
| from the date of the letter.
| I am not in contact with the owner. ... hence I have no knowledge
| of her current wherabouts.

And when the old slapper does turn up, you can also charge her for

storage.

And destruction/tipping?

Thanks for suggestion to everyone.

I am reluctant to destroy it myself largely because it isn't mine even
though I couldn't care less if someone else broke it up.
As for charges , that raises a smile. I have never been paid for storage
for those ten years. I wonder how much that could come to? Maybe I could
get my brother a little of the money she took from him?

The other problem is of course the actual practical difficulty of moving/
taking way, which will cost. When I moved house five years ago I had to pay
extra for the piano and some removers wouldn't even look at the job.
It is heavy and a b***** to shift.

Cost of removal I reckon would be about £100 based on the figures I got
then.
I do know the council will not take it and I cant take it down the amenity
tip/ recycling tip because it needs a van to transport it ( I have a VW
Polo, I cant see me getting it in the boot somehow) and the tip will not let
vans onto the site without an extra charge ( any van is commercial according
to them). Again £100 cost to get rid of it there plus the cost of a van
hire.

My only viable option may be to break it up unless someone wants it for free
and is willing to pay the cost of taking it away.

Have you asked around your local schools, clubs etc, they might just
take it off your hands and make good use of it

--
geoff
Jerry Built

mich wrote:
My only viable option may be to break it up unless someone wants
it for free and is willing to pay the cost of taking it away.

Keep it, take piano lessons, and paint your front door green.

Er, well, OK, give it away, then. Someone will be very glad of
it, especially if it's got an iron frame. They aren't as common
as they once were.

J.B.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Pianos have no value at all, unless of course you're looking to buy one
:-)

That applies to everything.

I had reason to consider selling a Bechstein grand for someone
recently. I happen to know it's in perfect condition but dealers wanted
to "take it off my hands" and the auctioneer said it might fetch £200.
In the end it went on extended loan to the local schools' music and
drama centre.

My sister in law was recently offered (from the local dealer) 200 quid for
a baby grand of little known name (Rogers) which is in anything but
perfect condition. It's neither been played or tuned in 20 years and is
badly faded on one side due to exposure to sunlight.

--
*On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Peter Twydell

In article , Ian
Stirling writes
mich wrote:
Not strictly DIY, but not strictly anything else either.

There is an old upright piano (age and condition not determinable by the
unmusical me, although its certainly not in tune and hasn't been tuned in my
care) in my sitting room. It is not mine. It was just left by its owner. I
did contact the owner about it but never got a reply. That was five years
ago.

Its in the way. Suggestions as to what I can/ might do about it ( polite and
practical ones please).

Tuner + piano lessons?

My neighbours were so impressed with my efforts at playing the piano
they used to break the windows so they could hear me better.

One of my nieces saved a real old joanna from the scrap heap and had it
tuned. It's not quite in the same class as SWMBO's Zimmerman baby grand,
but even a jangly old piano is better than no piano at all.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
raden

In message , Mike Mitchell
writes

[...]

Don't you mean "a song to sing"?

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

You see! I always knew an old piano had a story to tell!

Don't you mean "a song to sing"?

Awww, nice :-)

Mary

--
geoff

simpi

Jerry Built wrote in message .. .
mich wrote:
My only viable option may be to break it up unless someone wants
it for free and is willing to pay the cost of taking it away.

Keep it, take piano lessons, and paint your front door green.

Er, well, OK, give it away, then. Someone will be very glad of
it, especially if it's got an iron frame. They aren't as common
as they once were.

J.B.

I was a musical child and (pitifully) practiced the piano on a
cardboard template cos my family couldn't afford a piano. You have to
have grade 5 piano to study music at university, even if you are a
virtuoso something-else-ist. I'm 32, could have changed since. If
you get in touch with your local education authority and ask about
instumental peripatetic (sp?) teachers, they might be able to sort
something out.
simp.
Suz

There is an old upright piano (age and condition not determinable by the
unmusical me, although its certainly not in tune and hasn't been tuned in

my
care) in my sitting room. It is not mine. It was just left by its owner.

did contact the owner about it but never got a reply. That was five years
ago.

Its in the way. Suggestions as to what I can/ might do about it ( polite

and
practical ones please).

I learnt to play on such a piano. My mother bought it cheaply and had it
tuned. Wasn't perfect but then I don't have the best ear anyway. Still can
play a load of Xmas songs I learnt then.

Reminds me of the music teacher that came to the house. She was a real old
biddy, tweed skirt etc. She had quite a beard. She also had buck teeth and
used to make hissy sounds when she spoke. This affliction led to small bits
of spit flying from her mouth. When you are 7, such things were hard to
deal with. She would give an instruction and a bit of spit would land on a
key, and I would be totally grossed out as kids would say now. I'd avoid
that key like the plague and play wrong notes rather than touch the lurgied
key- getting my knuckles rapped with a ruler for my efforts.

Ah happy days. So sell it and let some kids enjoy similiar happy memories.

Suzanne

Mike Mitchell

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:41:41 +0100, "Suz" wrote:

[...]

And with modern DNA extraction methods and cloning, you never know,
they might even be able to recreate the old biddy! Imagine a
spittle-flecked wizened chin appearing like eddies of smoke from the
gaps between the keys, to rise up, coalesce and form the indomitable
Miss Tweedy, stroking her beard and picking her teeth. It's enough to
put off any seven-year-old going near a piano!

On the other hand, my teacher was a female German music student from
the Musikhochschule in Cologne, was about 22, had amazing threepenny
bits and a figure to die for. I practised avidly. I think I was about
32 at the time.

MM
mich

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:39:35 +0100, "mich" wrote:
Not strictly DIY, but not strictly anything else eithe

Whatever you do, please don't just break it up unless there is no
other way. Many kids might love having a piano, but it never occurred
to their parents to get them one. Even if you only get a nominal fee
(or nowt) for it, you might have the satisfaction in your dotage of
seeing the Leeds Piano Competition winner on TV whose tentative first
forays on the keyboard were done on your old piano!

I LOVE pianos!

I was the original poster of this query - and mine was a genuine question.

Thanks to all who gave answers.

I have decided to put an ad in the free ads in the local weekly paper and
offer it as free to a good home, buyer collects.
If no takers , I'll have to see about getting it taken away and paying for
it.

Thanks for all your help.

MM

Remove the bits and the top part makes a cocktail cab with drop front
and the bottom storage for drinks.The key area (with keys removed) for
glass.
Mike Mitchell

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 09:07:49 +0100, "mich" wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yet another suggestion if you find no takers is to consider offering
parts of it to the local tech college. My brother used a piano
keyboard to build a synthesizer as a project at his college. He only
used the keyboard, nothing else. He added loads of electrical
contacts, wires and stuff and put an inordinate amount of effort into
it.

MM
Mary Fisher

"simpi" wrote in message
om...

I was a musical child and (pitifully) practiced the piano on a
cardboard template cos my family couldn't afford a piano. You have to
have grade 5 piano to study music at university,

Good Heavens! It used to be grade 8 even for a college ...

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Suz" wrote in message

Reminds me of the music teacher that came to the house. She was a real

old
biddy, tweed skirt etc. She had quite a beard. She also had buck teeth

and
used to make hissy sounds when she spoke. This affliction led to small

bits
of spit flying from her mouth.

ER - be careful, it might happen to you. If you're lucky enough to live ...

Mary

Suz

"Suz" wrote in message

Reminds me of the music teacher that came to the house. She was a real

old
biddy, tweed skirt etc. She had quite a beard. She also had buck teeth

and
used to make hissy sounds when she spoke. This affliction led to small

bits
of spit flying from her mouth.

ER - be careful, it might happen to you. If you're lucky enough to live

Mary

She probably wasn't that much older than I am now Mary, she has children
younger than me. She was just one of life's strange creatures. Probably
born with a tweed skirt on. She called her son Archibald which even in the
1970's was very outdated.

Mary Fisher

Reminds me of the music teacher that came to the house. She was a

real
old
biddy, tweed skirt etc. She had quite a beard. She also had buck

teeth
and
used to make hissy sounds when she spoke. This affliction led to

small
bits
of spit flying from her mouth.

ER - be careful, it might happen to you. If you're lucky enough to live

Mary

She probably wasn't that much older than I am now Mary, she has children
younger than me. She was just one of life's strange creatures.

I still think that you shouldn't be judgemental - none of us knows what the
future holds for us. You might, one day, look in a mirror and remember my
words.

Probably
born with a tweed skirt on.

a) that's silly and

b) what's wrong with tweed skirts? Tweed is a beautiful fabric, very
expensive, wears superbly and looks good, unlike most of today's fabrics. I
wish I could afford to wear it but I can't. As for skirts, I don't wear them
for everyday but I admire those who do, I haven't the guts. The only time I
wear skirts is when I'm pre-C21st.

She called her son Archibald which even in the
1970's was very outdated.

Because of what we do I see hundreds of children every weekend and ask their
names. We've had several Archibalds and Archies. I prefer it to the very
common Jordan, for instance, but what the heck does it matter? I only know
one Suzanne though and she must be in her forties.

By the way, I have lots of grandchildren: James, Oliver, Benedict, David,
Edward, Paul, Naomi, Mary (two of those), Ann, Samuel, Edgar, Wallace,
Jennifer, Grace, Robyn, Natalie, Darling, Edmund, Tobias, Cuthbert and Mia
Mégère.

What does that say about my children, who named them?

For instance, Jennifer. I was very surprised that one of our children would
call a child Jennifer - in fact he didn't, his wife chose it. I call her
Guinevere instead, of which Jennifer is a corruption. But it would be a
strange thing to assess her parents' characters because of their choice of
name for her.

Mary

stuart noble

Mary Fisher wrote in message

"simpi" wrote in message
. com...

I was a musical child and (pitifully) practiced the piano on a
cardboard template cos my family couldn't afford a piano. You have to
have grade 5 piano to study music at university,

Good Heavens! It used to be grade 8 even for a college ...

Never has been grade 8 for a music degree, even at Oxbridge.

Mary Fisher

"stuart noble" wrote in message

Mary Fisher wrote in message

"simpi" wrote in message
. com...

I was a musical child and (pitifully) practiced the piano on a
cardboard template cos my family couldn't afford a piano. You have to
have grade 5 piano to study music at university,

Good Heavens! It used to be grade 8 even for a college ...

Never has been grade 8 for a music degree, even at Oxbridge.

It was for one our daughters ...

Mary

stuart noble

Mary Fisher wrote in message 412b1cc8$0$22309
Good Heavens! It used to be grade 8 even for a college ...

Never has been grade 8 for a music degree, even at Oxbridge.

It was for one our daughters ...

I don't think universities are interested in how well you play because the
courses are mainly academic. Different at the music colleges of course. I
hope your daughter went on to do something more profitable :-)

Mary Fisher

"stuart noble" wrote in message

Mary Fisher wrote in message 412b1cc8$0$22309
Good Heavens! It used to be grade 8 even for a college ...
Never has been grade 8 for a music degree, even at Oxbridge.

It was for one our daughters ...

I don't think universities are interested in how well you play because the
courses are mainly academic. Different at the music colleges of course. I
hope your daughter went on to do something more profitable :-)

She became a cabinet maker (after meeting a design student at college), they
ran a mail order very fine custom designed and made furniture business then
they bought a small farm in Wales on which they rear rare breed sheep and
cattle and have obtained organic status. That feeds them (and us, partly),
they still do the cabinet making for other bills.

She also plays double bass and violin with several Welsh orchestras and has
even found bass pupils in the Welsh mountains - one who has just gained her
Grade 8 ...

It's not financially profitable but very satisfying. They consider that
they're privileged to be doing what they want and being beholden to no-one.

I agree, a hand to mouth life can have its own riches.

Mary