Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Virtual Box

I downloaded this as one of these home computing networks where
'thousands'? of home computers are meant to help with scientific
research. The project has failed to configure itself properly, and
I've uninstalled the project software. Is there any value in my
retaining the Virtual Box application - it's uninstall would appear to
be a command line in the DOS window.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
robgraham wrote:
I downloaded this as one of these home computing networks where
'thousands'? of home computers are meant to help with scientific
research. The project has failed to configure itself properly, and
I've uninstalled the project software. Is there any value in my
retaining the Virtual Box application - it's uninstall would appear to
be a command line in the DOS window.

VirtualBox is open source (except for the USB connectors and remote
console, IIRC, which are commercial), so if you find a use for it you
can always download the latest one and reinstall.

I used to use Vbox a lot until I changed over to KVM, running virtual
machines for trying things out in. Of course Microsoft insist you
must have a separate licence for each VM that's running Windows inside,
but other operating systems are available ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 06:07:40 -0700, robgraham wrote:

I downloaded this as one of these home computing networks where
'thousands'? of home computers are meant to help with scientific
research. The project has failed to configure itself properly, and I've
uninstalled the project software. Is there any value in my retaining
the Virtual Box application

Only you know if you have a use for it, I suppose :-) I run Linux as my
main OS, and have a vbox setup for running Windows 2000 when I need to do
something where it has to be Windows and there's no Linux equivalent (I
think the last time was well over a year ago)

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 06:07:40 -0700 (PDT), robgraham wrote:
I downloaded this as one of these home computing networks where
'thousands'? of home computers are meant to help with scientific
research. The project has failed to configure itself properly, and
I've uninstalled the project software. Is there any value in my
retaining the Virtual Box application - it's uninstall would appear to
be a command line in the DOS window.

It's sometimes useful to use it as a sandbox - so you can create a
virtual machine with your current O/S and experiment, or run dodgy
software, in that knowing that you're not putting your main system
at risk. If things go pear-shaped, just delete the VM and your main
system is intact.
If you want to play with Linux and your main system runs Windows
(or vice-versa) then it's convenient to run the "guest" O/S in a
virtualbox VM. Again: just to keep some degree of separation
between the two.

I have a VM that runs an old copy of Windows 2000 with my legal copy
of Photoshop, that I'm too cheap, or law-abiding, to update. I find
no problems with this use and it saves the hassle of having to do
any migrations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 14:19:56 +0100, Nick Leverton
wrote:

In article
,
robgraham wrote:
I downloaded this as one of these home computing networks where
'thousands'? of home computers are meant to help with scientific
research. The project has failed to configure itself properly, and
I've uninstalled the project software. Is there any value in my
retaining the Virtual Box application - it's uninstall would appear to
be a command line in the DOS window.

VirtualBox is open source (except for the USB connectors and remote
console, IIRC, which are commercial), so if you find a use for it you
can always download the latest one and reinstall.

I used to use Vbox a lot until I changed over to KVM, running virtual
machines for trying things out in. Of course Microsoft insist you
must have a separate licence for each VM that's running Windows inside,
but other operating systems are available ...

Nick

Not entirely true. With W7 Professional (and, I assume, Ultimate) you can
run a Windows XP VM without any additional licence.

Without checking I am not certain if you would be covered to run multiple
VMs at the same time. Or not.

--
Rod