Posted to uk.d-i-y
root[_2_] root[_2_] is offline

Default Virtual Box

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 06:07:40 -0700 (PDT), robgraham wrote:
I downloaded this as one of these home computing networks where
'thousands'? of home computers are meant to help with scientific
research. The project has failed to configure itself properly, and
I've uninstalled the project software. Is there any value in my
retaining the Virtual Box application - it's uninstall would appear to
be a command line in the DOS window.

It's sometimes useful to use it as a sandbox - so you can create a
virtual machine with your current O/S and experiment, or run dodgy
software, in that knowing that you're not putting your main system
at risk. If things go pear-shaped, just delete the VM and your main
system is intact.
If you want to play with Linux and your main system runs Windows
(or vice-versa) then it's convenient to run the "guest" O/S in a
virtualbox VM. Again: just to keep some degree of separation
between the two.

I have a VM that runs an old copy of Windows 2000 with my legal copy
of Photoshop, that I'm too cheap, or law-abiding, to update. I find
no problems with this use and it saves the hassle of having to do
any migrations.