Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combination microwave question

I have a combination microwave oven (Sharp 959, UK) My question is, if
I am using a recipe or preparing a ready-meal, do I use the
recommended temperature for conventional oven or fan oven, bearing in
mind that the Sharp does have a fan. The manufacturer's helpline wasn't
very convincing, saying, "Oh, it's got a fan so it'll be the fan
temperature". Any advice on this?

Regards and thanks in advance

Syke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 7, 7:55*am, Syke wrote:
I have a combination microwave oven (Sharp 959, UK) *My question is, if
I am using a recipe or preparing a ready-meal, * do I use the
recommended temperature for conventional oven or fan oven, bearing in
mind that the Sharp does have a fan. *The manufacturer's helpline wasn't
very convincing, saying, "Oh, it's got a fan so it'll be the fan
temperature". *Any advice on this?

Regards and thanks in advance

Syke

Its a fan oven. However cooking instructions arent really that exact.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syke wrote:

I have a combination microwave oven (Sharp 959, UK) My question is, if
I am using a recipe or preparing a ready-meal, do I use the
recommended temperature for conventional oven or fan oven, bearing in
mind that the Sharp does have a fan. The manufacturer's helpline wasn't
very convincing, saying, "Oh, it's got a fan so it'll be the fan
temperature". Any advice on this?

Regards and thanks in advance

Syke

Drop the temperature back by 10-20C - seems to be the normal conversion I've
seen on various food items that list both fan and non fan.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I use the recommended fan-oven temperature if I remember to do so, and the
full temperature if I don't. It seems to make very little difference, and
in any case I tend to use my own variations on temp and time anyway, derived
from taste and experience.

Cooking is not an exact science!

What I don't understand is this: if you mustn't use the removable metal base
plate when microwaving why is it OK - and indeed recommended - to use it
when microwave+conventional cooking?

Bert