Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave question

I went to use my microwave this morning, and it was dead. I checked the
breaker box, and the breaker for the kitchen is fine. Flipped it off, then
on again. All the other things work in the kitchen, and the toaster works
in that outlet.

I find it odd that it didn't fizzle in the middle of a heatup. If I pull it
apart, is there a user serviceable fuse in there? What to look for/at?

Help appreciated. Panasonic 1300w Genius Inverter model.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I went to use my microwave this morning, and it was dead. I checked the
breaker box, and the breaker for the kitchen is fine. Flipped it off, then
on again. All the other things work in the kitchen, and the toaster works
in that outlet.

I find it odd that it didn't fizzle in the middle of a heatup. If I pull it
apart, is there a user serviceable fuse in there? What to look for/at?

Help appreciated. Panasonic 1300w Genius Inverter model.

Steve

Plugged into a GFCI outlet? Maybe that opened for some reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I went to use my microwave this morning, and it was dead. I checked the
breaker box, and the breaker for the kitchen is fine. Flipped it off,
then on again. All the other things work in the kitchen, and the toaster
works in that outlet.

I find it odd that it didn't fizzle in the middle of a heatup. If I pull
it apart, is there a user serviceable fuse in there? What to look
for/at?

Help appreciated. Panasonic 1300w Genius Inverter model.

Steve

Plugged into a GFCI outlet? Maybe that opened for some reason.

Checked and reset them all.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"LouB" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I went to use my microwave this morning, and it was dead. I checked the
breaker box, and the breaker for the kitchen is fine. Flipped it off,
then on again. All the other things work in the kitchen, and the
toaster works in that outlet.

I find it odd that it didn't fizzle in the middle of a heatup. If I
pull it apart, is there a user serviceable fuse in there? What to look
for/at?

Help appreciated. Panasonic 1300w Genius Inverter model.

Steve

Plugged into a GFCI outlet? Maybe that opened for some reason.

Checked and reset them all.

Steve

Costco? Save your receipt?

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 11:43*am, "Master Betty" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

"LouB" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I went to use my microwave this morning, and it was dead. *I checked the
breaker box, and the breaker for the kitchen is fine. *Flipped it off,
then on again. *All the other things work in the kitchen, and the
toaster works in that outlet.

I find it odd that it didn't fizzle in the middle of a heatup. *If I
pull it apart, is there a user serviceable fuse in there? *What to look
for/at?

Help appreciated. *Panasonic 1300w Genius Inverter model.

Steve
Plugged into a GFCI outlet? *Maybe that opened for some reason.

Checked and reset them all.

Steve

Costco? Save your receipt?

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Did you plug it into a known working outlet somewhere else in the
house??? That's the first thing to do!!! There may be a contact
problem and the toaster worked bu the Uwave didn't. IF you are sire
of power, the put the Uwave somewhere where you can remove all the
acrews along the sides and back that hold the cover on, and remove the
cover. Look for a fuse that is in the primary 120V power input line
and check it with an ohmmmeter. That is the most likely cause of a
total failure. be careful not to touch other parts . See the FAQ for
things to avoid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave question/redux

"Master Betty" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message

"LouB" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I went to use my microwave this morning, and it was dead. I checked
the breaker box, and the breaker for the kitchen is fine. Flipped it
off, then on again. All the other things work in the kitchen, and the
toaster works in that outlet.

I find it odd that it didn't fizzle in the middle of a heatup. If I
pull it apart, is there a user serviceable fuse in there? What to look
for/at?

Help appreciated. Panasonic 1300w Genius Inverter model.

Steve
Plugged into a GFCI outlet? Maybe that opened for some reason.

Checked and reset them all.

Steve

Except one ..................

Never mind.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message

"LouB" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

90% chance it is a fuse inside the case. I have replaced fuses in two Pany
micros. You can get replacements in many places such as Radio Shack. Just
look for "microwave fuses", they are small round glass or ceramic fuses
about 1/4" x 1 1/4" in size. For future use I have fastened a couple of
spares inside the case near where they go so that we don't have any delay
next time one goes. There actually was a batch of bad fuses that Panasonic
used and they will all blow eventually and need replacing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
"LouB" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I went to use my microwave this morning, and it was dead. I checked
the breaker box, and the breaker for the kitchen is fine. Flipped it
off, then on again. All the other things work in the kitchen, and the
toaster works in that outlet.

I find it odd that it didn't fizzle in the middle of a heatup. If I
pull it apart, is there a user serviceable fuse in there? What to look
for/at?

Help appreciated. Panasonic 1300w Genius Inverter model.

Steve
Plugged into a GFCI outlet? Maybe that opened for some reason.
Checked and reset them all.

Steve

Except one ..................

Never mind.

Steve

That means the GFCI was the problem? Please send cookiesvbg

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in
:

I went to use my microwave this morning, and it was dead. I checked
the breaker box, and the breaker for the kitchen is fine. Flipped it
off, then on again. All the other things work in the kitchen, and the
toaster works in that outlet.

I find it odd that it didn't fizzle in the middle of a heatup. If I
pull it apart, is there a user serviceable fuse in there? What to
look for/at?

Help appreciated. Panasonic 1300w Genius Inverter model.

Steve

there should be a replaceable "3AG" size ceramic fuse in there,and the two
MW's I've opened had schematics inside,one on the inside of the cabinet,and
the other was in an envelope taped to the top of the MW internals. the
1000w oven used a 15 amp fuse.pay attention to the ratings marked on the
fuse itself,you want the same type of fuse.

Now,the BAD news is that your inverter oven may have had some electronic
component in the inverter circuitry fail,blowing the line fuse.
Those are not as reliable as the older iron transformer ovens.

BTW,you may need a security TORX bit to remove the cabinet screws.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
"LouB" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I went to use my microwave this morning, and it was dead. I checked
the breaker box, and the breaker for the kitchen is fine. Flipped it
off, then on again. All the other things work in the kitchen, and the
toaster works in that outlet.

I find it odd that it didn't fizzle in the middle of a heatup. If I
pull it apart, is there a user serviceable fuse in there? What to look
for/at?

Help appreciated. Panasonic 1300w Genius Inverter model.

Steve
Plugged into a GFCI outlet? Maybe that opened for some reason.
Checked and reset them all.

Steve

Except one ..................

Never mind.

Steve

If by "Never mind" you mean that it's
now fixed .... Never Mind this
replay. If it's still broke, many
microwaves have a thermal link above
the ceiling which is supposed to melt if
you put something into the oven
and fat finger the buttons for 2.00
hours instead of 2 minutes. You
have to remove the case, but the part is
easily replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote in :

If by "Never mind" you mean that it's
now fixed .... Never Mind this
replay. If it's still broke, many
microwaves have a thermal link above
the ceiling which is supposed to melt if
you put something into the oven
and fat finger the buttons for 2.00
hours instead of 2 minutes. You
have to remove the case, but the part is
easily replaced.

yeah,but the inside of the oven will never be the same! ;-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik