Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A microwave question

This is a 10 or 12 year old Panasonic micro.

In the middle of heating several different things sequentially it suddenly
quit working.

But not entirely. The clock worked and the light worked. The timer counted
down as usual but there was no heating and the turntable didn't rotate.
While I was contemplating replacing it, the wife said she slammed the door
and it started working again.

Maybe some thing was loose. I pulled the cover and did a visual inspection
and everything looked tight and in place.

Is this behavior indicative of a microswitch not getting activated?

Perhaps a bad switch or the interlock parts have become worn. The switches
look replaceable, the plastic parts of the latching and interlock functions
were probably made for that particular model and are unique.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
news
This is a 10 or 12 year old Panasonic micro.

In the middle of heating several different things sequentially it suddenly
quit working.

But not entirely. The clock worked and the light worked. The timer counted
down as usual but there was no heating and the turntable didn't rotate.
While I was contemplating replacing it, the wife said she slammed the door
and it started working again.

Maybe some thing was loose. I pulled the cover and did a visual inspection
and everything looked tight and in place.

Is this behavior indicative of a microswitch not getting activated?

Perhaps a bad switch or the interlock parts have become worn. The switches
look replaceable, the plastic parts of the latching and interlock
functions were probably made for that particular model and are unique.

Charlie

Try the following test:

put in a bowl of cold Campbell's soup. Turn it on. Does it work.

Yes? No problem.

No? Do the following:

Throw it from the second floor balcony onto a hard concrete surface. Repeat
the previous step.

Does it work?

Yes?

Problem solved.

No?

Time to splurge $88 for a new microwave.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Bress wrote:

This is a 10 or 12 year old Panasonic micro.

In the middle of heating several different things sequentially it suddenly
quit working.

But not entirely. The clock worked and the light worked. The timer counted
down as usual but there was no heating and the turntable didn't rotate.
While I was contemplating replacing it, the wife said she slammed the door
and it started working again.

Maybe some thing was loose. I pulled the cover and did a visual inspection
and everything looked tight and in place.

Is this behavior indicative of a microswitch not getting activated?

Perhaps a bad switch or the interlock parts have become worn. The switches
look replaceable, the plastic parts of the latching and interlock functions
were probably made for that particular model and are unique.

Charlie

Yes, the door interlock switches on most microwaves have two problems
generally. The first is that they generally use cheap switches, so when
you replace it try to get a quality switch (Cherry, or other good
manuf.) to replace it. The second problem is that people typically just
yank the door open without first pressing the stop button on the
microwave.

When you yank the door open while the microwave is running the interlock
switch has to interrupt the sizable operating current feeding the
magnetron power supply which puts a lot of wear on the switch. If you
press the stop button first, the power is switched off by the control
which is far more capable of this switching duty since that's what it
does for lower power levels as well and there is no wear on the already
mediocre door switch.

Replace the $5 door switch and you're likely to get another decade or
more of reliable service.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Door interlock not working properly can causse these symptoms. May need
adjusting or replacing. May have worn actuator parts.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve, Steve, You got it all wrong.

Progresso soup....

More salt tastes better...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

Replace the $5 door switch and you're likely to get another decade or
more of reliable service.

Or bypass the switch. Unless someone in your family has a pacemaker (an old
one), there should be no problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 7:28 am, "Mark S" wrote:
Steve, Steve, You got it all wrong.

Progresso soup....

More salt tastes better...

This is not on subject but good to know if you have a micro, Be very
CAREFUL IN REMOVING LIQUIDS THAT HAVE BEEN HEATED TO BOILING AND SHOW
A SMOOTH SURFACE. THEY CAN EXPLODE SCALDING YOU ! It's something
that rarely happens but it only takes once. To prevent such they say
put something that will break the surface, like a wood stick or
such. I had a friend thiis happened to and he nearly lost his eye
sight. Fore warned is fore armed.
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" writes:

Or bypass the switch. Unless someone in your family has a pacemaker (an old
one), there should be no problem.

There is normally a series switch and a parallel switch. If the
magnetron isn't getting power, the problem is in the series switch. If
you bypass the series switch, the magnetron will get power again, but
the first time you try to open the door with the oven still running, the
parallel switch will short across the line and blow the fuse.

To avoid that happening, you'd also have to disable the parallel switch.
And if you do *that*, the magnetron will operate when the door is
open.

And that would be pretty stupid, unless you understand the dangers of
high-power microwaves. It's not just possible interference with
electonics; the heating can damage tissues (like eyes).

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 20:55:45 -0600, "Don Young"
wrote:

Door interlock not working properly can causse these symptoms. May need
adjusting or replacing. May have worn actuator parts.

Don Young

Yup. My microwave door lock has developed a "Sweet Spot" that I have
to press before it will open. Its a worn plastic pin I think but I am
too lazy to fix it as I am the only one using it. Will do so when it
gets annoying enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am sure you think you are clever. Sadly, stupid is not clever.
BTW your pricing is way off the mark. I just saw a microwave for less than
$40,

Now what you should do is unplug your PC and make the internet a better
place.

Many happy returns on your 14th birthday.