Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

Default Combination gloat and question

Hello all,

It's been a while, but I've been working two jobs all winter
(construction for the boss, and construction as a freelancer on nights
and weekends) and haven't had much time to cool my heels. Of course,
killing yerself has it's advantages- I recently got myself a pretty
nice gloat for a guy I built a shop for the year before last. He
recently opened his own hardwood supply store and became a lathe
dealer, so he was unloading his secondhand machine for a sweet price.
I ended up with a Delta 12" variable speed with a couple of brand new
link belts for $675. Lot of machine for that price (the sucker weighs
400#)- and my first piece of big iron. Add that to a ton (give or
take) of weeping willow burl I got from a customer who was having a
giant willow cut down, and a new chainsaw, and I'm set for a while
with the lathe.

Of course, the march of progress never ends, and I recently saw a
technique I hadn't considered on the DIY network- metal spinning.
Looks like a terribly useful thing to be able to do, and I'm planning
on having the local machinist/welder/small engine repairman (I live in
a small town, so there's still one of those guys around) make me a
tool rest with posts and a "spoon" for doing this. The guy's prices
are pretty good, and he's got the stuff to make whatever I decide to
go with, but I figured it couldn't hurt to see if anyone here has any
first-hand experience doing this to help me get the right stuff.
(For those of you who don't know what this is, here's the link-
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/wt_too...552588,00.html)

My thought was that I should get the tool rest made of steel flat
stock 1" x 1" x 12" long with 10 pin holes in it (one per inch leaving
out the ends) that are about 3/4" deep. Not sure how long the pins to
go in those holes should be, so there's question one- I'm also
wondering if anyone has a ready-made source for the spinning tool, or
if this is best custom-made- and if so, to what dimentions?

He also used a lubricant on the piece being spun that he said was a
vegitable-based soap. There were no specifics given about this, so
I'm kind of in the dark. Will any old soap work, or must it be a
specific type- and where does a guy find something like that?

All in all, it looks like it might be a fun thing to try out, so any
good advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Prometheus

I've done a bit of metal spinning, no expert.

Made the tools myself and the tool rest and pins also.

I use the Murphy soap that's gelled, seems to work ok.

For the tool rest, I used 1 1/2"x3/4" and 6" long, the biggest problem
you probably are going to have, is to keep the banjo from moving
around while forcing the metal into shape, also a long rest like 12"
you wont be able to hold from swinging away from the work, keep it
short and move the banjo when needed.

The pins I used 1/2"x 3" good steel pins approx. 1 1/2" apart and
smooth, when leveraging you have to be able to move your tool smoothly
along the pins.

I made the tools from some 3/8" or 7/16" round steel stock I had laying
around, heated and formed it and then polished it as smooth as I could
get it, and you will have to keep doing that, it tends to get rough and
start galling the stock.

I also use wooden spoons and improvise while working along.

I would say try to read up on it as much as you can and look at any and
all pictures of what people have and use, also the tools that are for
sale, and than go from there.

Here's one link for tools, accessories and material, I had another link
for one on one lessons and some more info, gave it in one of the

http://www.cuttingedgetools.com/Onli...g/MetSpin.html

I have some spun copper in this album, also at WC in the ornament file.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum28.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

On 6 Mar 2006 17:24:44 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi Prometheus

I've done a bit of metal spinning, no expert.

Expert advice is usually overrated, anyhow.

Made the tools myself and the tool rest and pins also.

I use the Murphy soap that's gelled, seems to work ok.

The wood polishing oil soap? Sounds like a good (and easy to find)
solution.

For the tool rest, I used 1 1/2"x3/4" and 6" long, the biggest problem
you probably are going to have, is to keep the banjo from moving
around while forcing the metal into shape, also a long rest like 12"
you wont be able to hold from swinging away from the work, keep it
short and move the banjo when needed.

Good tip- thanks!

The pins I used 1/2"x 3" good steel pins approx. 1 1/2" apart and
smooth, when leveraging you have to be able to move your tool smoothly
along the pins.

That'll save me a little money- I've got some 1/2" cold rolled stock.
Come to think of it, I can probably make the whole deal if I do a
little threading and tapping.

I made the tools from some 3/8" or 7/16" round steel stock I had laying
around, heated and formed it and then polished it as smooth as I could
get it, and you will have to keep doing that, it tends to get rough and
start galling the stock.

You heat treated it, or just got it hot to hammer it flat?

I also use wooden spoons and improvise while working along.

I was wondering about that myself. Seems like wood would be less
likely to gall the peice, but I suppose it wears out fairly quickly.

I would say try to read up on it as much as you can and look at any and
all pictures of what people have and use, also the tools that are for
sale, and than go from there.

That's SOP for me. I hate to waste my resources on poorly concieved
foolishness! (Though that's not to say it doesn't happen...)

Here's one link for tools, accessories and material, I had another link
for one on one lessons and some more info, gave it in one of the

http://www.cuttingedgetools.com/Onli...g/MetSpin.html

Good deal, might be easier just to buy the spoon, all in all. The
tool rest seems worth making, though.

Thanks for the info!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Prometheus
Couple of additional explanations, that I should have done in my first
response.
Jelled Murphy Oil soap, that's correct.

The pins in the tool rest are slip fit loose, since you use two tools
at the time mostly and the angle you might be using them, the opening
between the pins might be to narrow, in that case you just pull one out
and move it over, 2 pins could do, 3 is better and I have 5 in there.

I drilled the holes so deep that the drill bit started to bite through,
the pins don't fall through and the hole stays clean mostly.

Also the forming tools, I shaped them hot and smoothed them out, heat
treated then polished, I have made a couple of turning tool handles
from mild steel, and drilled through for 16mm/5/8" on one end and 3/8"
on the other end, use them for turning wood tools and change to the
spinning tools when needed, I am able to make different tools and not
have to make new handles for every (new and better???) other tool I
come up with.

This covers it I think, if not just give a holler.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum27.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo