Ron Moore

Default Gloat and Question

I don't post here often but I most respect the knowledge base here. I
got called by a friend to go to a manufacturing shop the other day where
they were selling some old equipment. One building they had leased got
sold to someone else! I got a large old (decent) B&D 5hp RAS, a
Rockwell/Delta DP with the variable speed head, about a 16x20 table, and
OLD Wallace mortiser (looking for more chisels/bits) and two glue
welders. And that brings up the question, what am I going to do with
the glue welders? Is anyone familiar?
Oh, yeah, I paid $250 for the lot.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

George

Edge plywood? Or are you referring to the type which cure glue by radio
frequency energy?
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...y_Heating.html

Jut about all the suggestions you'd ever need.
http://www.redbookonline.com/charts/woodglue.pdf

"Ron Moore" wrote in message
And that brings up the question, what am I going to do with
the glue welders? Is anyone familiar?
Oh, yeah, I paid $250 for the lot.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Ron Moore

The info under example #2 (woodweb) looks closest. Both boxes have a
handheld unit that has two parallel bars or rollers about 2" apart. The
pistol grip has a trigger to enable it. I'm told that it was used to
fast dry a water/powder based glue and used on tongue and groove
flooring. Each box has a milliamp meter, one to 600ma, the other to
800ma. It does appear to be an rf unit as the power is apparently
transfered to the bars by a coil coupling. If so, does it still have
practical application?
Ron

"Ron Moore" wrote in message
And that brings up the question, what am I going to do with

the glue welders? Is anyone familiar?
Oh, yeah, I paid $250 for the lot.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

George

Yep. Where you need a fast bond, and want to pay the glue, it's great. Was
nice for the 2-hour class blocks back when, because you could get the
basic-glue-ups done in one day.

"Ron Moore" wrote in message
And that brings up the question, what am I going to do with

the glue welders? Is anyone familiar?
Oh, yeah, I paid $250 for the lot.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

LP

The glue was powdered urea resin, and AFAIK it's still available
today, however the brand names escape me ATM. It used to be the glue
of choice of boatbuilders because it was considered waterproof.
According to one source located by google its no longer considered
that but still used extensively by boaters. It will not withstand
boiling water either, whatever that means. Dont know too many people
who boil their boats.

Had occasion to use it one time on a stereo cabinet, with the RF cure.
Was indeed very quick and strong.

The glue does not require RF to cure. 24hrs wait time will do it.
Long open time was just right for stave type column glue-ups that were
then turned on a lathe.

As to a practical use for this thing, other than it's intended
purpose, I dont know. It acts on moisture to create considerable heat
in the wood, so maybe, for small pieces, a type of kiln effect?

"Ron Moore" wrote in message
And that brings up the question, what am I going to do with

the glue welders? Is anyone familiar?
Oh, yeah, I paid $250 for the lot.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Unisaw A100

Ron Moore wrote:
I don't post here often but I most respect the knowledge base here. I
got called by a friend to go to a manufacturing shop the other day where
they were selling some old equipment. One building they had leased got
sold to someone else! I got a large old (decent) B&D 5hp RAS, a
Rockwell/Delta DP with the variable speed head, about a 16x20 table, and
OLD Wallace mortiser (looking for more chisels/bits) and two glue
welders. And that brings up the question, what am I going to do with
the glue welders? Is anyone familiar?

We still use a glue welder (at work of course). You could
go about finding a commercial shop and sell them off. More
than likely you could re-coup your investment.

Enough about that crap though. The radical alarm saw sounds
nice and so does the drill press but I'd be more interested
in the Wallace mortiser. Looks like this?

http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=1261

Got any dirty paper on it?

http://files.owwm.com/PDF/Wallace/Mortiser09.pdf

Oh, yeah, I paid $250 for the lot.
Respectfully,

Respectfully?, bite me/you suck/why don'tcha just go jumpin'
up and bite me in my ass? I mean really, if you can't sell
the wood welders and come out of this with some free
'chinery, you're dogging it. No really.

Oh, and did I mention, you suck?

UA100
Minorite

what am I going to do with
the glue welders?

most white and yellow wood glues will work with these. they use rf waves to
excite the glue, causing heat to set the glue between the rollers. this tack
welds the joint, but you have to let the rest of the glue dry as normal.
bob
Ron Moore

That is EXACTLY the old mortiser. Thanks for a view of the lit, as
well. How hard is it to find tooling for or will other's work?
I am printing the entire message for future reference, like when SWMBO
finds out about my "find". Maybe that will help.
Thanks again for the info.
Ron

Unisaw A100 wrote:
http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=1261

Got any dirty paper on it?

http://files.owwm.com/PDF/Wallace/Mortiser09.pdf

mark

The glue was powdered urea resin, and AFAIK it's still available
today, however the brand names escape me ATM. It used to be the glue
of choice of boatbuilders because it was considered waterproof.
According to one source located by google its no longer considered
that but still used extensively by boaters. It will not withstand
boiling water either, whatever that means. Dont know too many people
who boil their boats.

You are correct -- I am currently building a weekender sailboat, and we are
using the powered urea resin glue. It is considerably cheaper than epoxy,
which is the other construction choice, but very brittle. I think they use
it for veneering as well. That might be a good use for it -- quick drying
veneer if you don't have a veneer press? If your boat is falling apart
because you are sailing through boiling water, something very very bad has
happened.

Unisaw A100

Ron Moore wrote:
That is EXACTLY the old mortiser. Thanks for a view of the lit, as
well. How hard is it to find tooling for or will other's work?

I'm not sure of a fit for it. Seems to me you're a prime
candidate for participation in/on the OWWM.

I am printing the entire message for future reference, like when SWMBO
finds out about my "find". Maybe that will help.
Thanks again for the info.

Oh sure, and have her name me as your enabler at the divorce
proceedings.

Thanks.

UA100

Eric Ryder

"Ron Moore" wrote in message
I don't post here often but I most respect the knowledge base here. I got
called by a friend to go to a manufacturing shop the other day where they
were selling some old equipment. One building they had leased got sold to
someone else! I got a large old (decent) B&D 5hp RAS, a Rockwell/Delta DP
with the variable speed head, about a 16x20 table, and OLD Wallace mortiser
(looking for more chisels/bits) and two glue welders. And that brings up
the question, what am I going to do with the glue welders? Is anyone
familiar?
Oh, yeah, I paid $250 for the lot.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

All you're missing is the weeping widder wimmen.
But I guess taking advantage of some recently unshopped souls is about the
equal.... Nice suckage!

Prometheus

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:23:06 GMT, Ron Moore
wrote:

And that brings up the question, what am I going to do with
the glue welders? Is anyone familiar?

The Voc. school woodworking class I'm taking has one, and it looked
like a lot of fun for a home shop, especially since you've already got
it. The instructor edge-glued about three panels with it in about 3-4
minutes, and they were strong enough to run through the thickness
planer immediately. You still've got to clamp them when gluing, and
they still take 24 hours to fully cure, but I imagine that it could
sure cut down on the number of clamps you *need* to have in your shop,
and speed up multiple-stage glue-ups quite a bit. I'd keep one, and
sell the other, myself. If you sell them both, you might kick
yourself later! The only other advice he had was that it was a good
idea to wear gloves and a respirator when using that urea glue, since
it contains formaldehyde- but white and yellow glue are supposed to
work with it as well.

Oh, yeah, I paid $250 for the lot.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Joe Wells

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:23:06 +0000, Ron Moore wrote:

I don't post here often but I ...snip... got a large old (decent) B&D
5hp RAS, a Rockwell/Delta DP with the variable speed head, about a 16x20
table, and OLD Wallace mortiser (looking for more chisels/bits) and two
glue welders. snip Oh, yeah, I paid $250 for the lot.

Folks, now here's the story 'bout Ronnie the Moocher,
He was an Old Arn hootchie-cootcher,
He cleaned a shop out of all of its stuff,
And loaded it into the back of his truck.

Ho-de-ho-de-ho-de-ho!
(Ho-de-ho-de-ho-de-ho)

Ohmigod do you blow!
(Yes, you certainly do blow)

He-de-he-de-he-de-yuck!
(He-de-he-de-he-de-yuck)

And at the same time You Suck!
(Yes, you definitely suck)
/Cab Calloway

Have a nice day.
--
Joe Wells

Gloat and question na Woodturning 2 June 14th 04 07:22 PM
SWMBO Gloat (and some questions) Ehvee8or Woodworking 10 December 7th 03 01:14 PM
Travelling and Turning (Gloat & Question) Ruth Woodturning 18 August 4th 03 09:45 PM