Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Combination gloat and question

Hi Prometheus

I've done a bit of metal spinning, no expert.

Made the tools myself and the tool rest and pins also.

I use the Murphy soap that's gelled, seems to work ok.

For the tool rest, I used 1 1/2"x3/4" and 6" long, the biggest problem
you probably are going to have, is to keep the banjo from moving
around while forcing the metal into shape, also a long rest like 12"
you wont be able to hold from swinging away from the work, keep it
short and move the banjo when needed.

The pins I used 1/2"x 3" good steel pins approx. 1 1/2" apart and
smooth, when leveraging you have to be able to move your tool smoothly
along the pins.

I made the tools from some 3/8" or 7/16" round steel stock I had laying
around, heated and formed it and then polished it as smooth as I could
get it, and you will have to keep doing that, it tends to get rough and
start galling the stock.

I also use wooden spoons and improvise while working along.

I would say try to read up on it as much as you can and look at any and
all pictures of what people have and use, also the tools that are for
sale, and than go from there.

Here's one link for tools, accessories and material, I had another link
for one on one lessons and some more info, gave it in one of the

http://www.cuttingedgetools.com/Onli...g/MetSpin.html

I have some spun copper in this album, also at WC in the ornament file.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum28.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo