MartinP

Default Combination boiler question

Hi Everyone
I'm installing a new CH system in a barn conversion to supply both the arn
and the house; the two are connected via a conservatory.
I'd like to use a combi boiler to supply the radiators and DHW in the barn.
The house is too far away to sensibly supplt DHW but there is a hot water
tank there from the existing, ancient system. Can I use a combi boiler to
supply a hot feed to an indirect cylinder via a three way valve along with
hot water directly to some taps and the rads.
One question, does a combi work directly off mains water or do I need a cold
water tank?

Martin
E Yorks

Set Square

MartinP wrote:

Hi Everyone
I'm installing a new CH system in a barn conversion to supply both
the arn and the house; the two are connected via a conservatory.
I'd like to use a combi boiler to supply the radiators and DHW in the
barn. The house is too far away to sensibly supplt DHW but there is a
hot water tank there from the existing, ancient system. Can I use a
combi boiler to supply a hot feed to an indirect cylinder via a three
way valve along with hot water directly to some taps and the rads.

Yes. You simply treat the CH side like a conventional boiler, and split it
into CH (proper) and HW circuits.

One question, does a combi work directly off mains water or do I need
a cold water tank?

The HW side of a combi heats mains-pressure cold water as it passes through
its heat exchanger.

You will still need a cold header tank for the old indirect hot water
system.

The primary CH circuit (feeding the radiators and - in your case - the
indirect coil) will almost certainly be unvented - and will have a filling
loop and pressure vessel rather than a feed & expansion tank.

Does that answer the question?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

MartinP

To explain further

Thanks. Yes it does although I'm unfamiliar with pressure vessels so need to
look further.

Thanks anyway I'll post again (probably when I've done more research :-)

"Set Square" wrote in message

MartinP wrote:

[...]

Set Square

MartinP wrote:

To explain further

Thanks. Yes it does although I'm unfamiliar with pressure vessels so
need to look further.

Thanks anyway I'll post again (probably when I've done more research
:-)

To aid your research, have a look at Ed's Sealed System FAQ at
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html

--
Cheers,
Set Square

11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 07:32 AM
Condensing/combi boiler vs. pipework question Dave Phillips UK diy 2 April 20th 04 10:02 AM
Installing boiler thermostat question David Hearn UK diy 5 December 3rd 03 09:03 PM