DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Combination boiler question (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/73463-combination-boiler-question.html)

MartinP October 16th 04 07:41 PM

Combination boiler question

Hi Everyone
I'm installing a new CH system in a barn conversion to supply both the arn
and the house; the two are connected via a conservatory.
I'd like to use a combi boiler to supply the radiators and DHW in the barn.
The house is too far away to sensibly supplt DHW but there is a hot water
tank there from the existing, ancient system. Can I use a combi boiler to
supply a hot feed to an indirect cylinder via a three way valve along with
hot water directly to some taps and the rads.
One question, does a combi work directly off mains water or do I need a cold
water tank?

Martin
E Yorks

Set Square October 16th 04 09:48 PM

MartinP wrote:

Hi Everyone
I'm installing a new CH system in a barn conversion to supply both
the arn and the house; the two are connected via a conservatory.
I'd like to use a combi boiler to supply the radiators and DHW in the
barn. The house is too far away to sensibly supplt DHW but there is a
hot water tank there from the existing, ancient system. Can I use a
combi boiler to supply a hot feed to an indirect cylinder via a three
way valve along with hot water directly to some taps and the rads.

Yes. You simply treat the CH side like a conventional boiler, and split it
into CH (proper) and HW circuits.

One question, does a combi work directly off mains water or do I need
a cold water tank?

The HW side of a combi heats mains-pressure cold water as it passes through
its heat exchanger.

You will still need a cold header tank for the old indirect hot water
system.

The primary CH circuit (feeding the radiators and - in your case - the
indirect coil) will almost certainly be unvented - and will have a filling
loop and pressure vessel rather than a feed & expansion tank.

Does that answer the question?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

MartinP October 16th 04 10:12 PM

To explain further

Thanks. Yes it does although I'm unfamiliar with pressure vessels so need to
look further.

Thanks anyway I'll post again (probably when I've done more research :-)

Set Square October 16th 04 10:43 PM

MartinP wrote:

To explain further

Thanks. Yes it does although I'm unfamiliar with pressure vessels so
need to look further.

Thanks anyway I'll post again (probably when I've done more research
:-)

To aid your research, have a look at Ed's Sealed System FAQ at
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html

--
Cheers,
Set Square