Old November 3rd 03, 11:55 AM
Kalico

Default Wolf power tools - any good?

I need a new circular saw and prefer to buy cheaper but often for the type
of work I do.

Screwfix have a brand called Wolf, 160mm for only 25 with a two year
guarantee. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Makro are doing a 180mm NuTool for the same money, also with 2 year
guarantee and I have had good experience with that brand, but little things
like painted steel rather than stainless steel footplate (which the Wolf
appears to have) make it look cheaper.

Thanks for any advice,
Rob

--
Tel. 07010 703 702

Replace SPAM with ORG to reply

Old November 3rd 03, 12:10 PM
Andy R

"Kalico" wrote in message
I need a new circular saw and prefer to buy cheaper but often for the type
of work I do.

Screwfix have a brand called Wolf, 160mm for only 25 with a two year
guarantee. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Makro are doing a 180mm NuTool for the same money, also with 2 year
guarantee and I have had good experience with that brand, but little

things
like painted steel rather than stainless steel footplate (which the Wolf
appears to have) make it look cheaper.

I'm still using a Wolf hammer drill my father bought over 25 years ago, it's
had a lot of heavy use and is still OK. He bought various Wolf tools over
the years because of good previous experience. They used to be relatively
expensive so if they're cheap now maybe the spec's changed.

Rgds

Andy R

Old November 3rd 03, 01:19 PM
Kalico

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Kalico" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that Andy. I tend to think that the guarantee alone is worth it
at this price level, but there is nothing like personal recommendation.

Rob

Old November 3rd 03, 01:51 PM
IMM

"Kalico" wrote in message
"Andy R" wrote in message

"Kalico" wrote in message
[...]

Wolf were quality products. They were taken over by Atlas Copco I think.
The name has now re-emerged. It must be good as the previous brand had a
"quality" image, so anyone with sense would still keep it that way.

---

Old November 3rd 03, 02:31 PM
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andy R wrote:
I'm still using a Wolf hammer drill my father bought over 25 years ago,
it's had a lot of heavy use and is still OK. He bought various Wolf
tools over the years because of good previous experience. They used to
be relatively expensive so if they're cheap now maybe the spec's changed.

I'd say *only* the name hasn't changed.

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Old November 3rd 03, 04:10 PM
RichardS

"Kalico" wrote in message
"Andy R" wrote in message

"Kalico" wrote in message
[...]

Have a google search on the ng - I think that the subject of Wolf tools came
up a couple of months ago.

From memory, the brand/company now belongs to someone different, so
comparisons with the 25yr old tools may not be completely accurate guidance.

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old November 4th 03, 10:29 AM
Andy R

"RichardS" [email protected] wrote in message
. ..
"Kalico" wrote in message
"Andy R" wrote in message

"Kalico" wrote in message
[...]

From memory, the brand/company now belongs to someone different, so
comparisons with the 25yr old tools may not be completely accurate

guidance.

That's why I wondered about the low prices. The drill cost around 70 in
the seventies which is probably something like 300 now so there must be
some differences in quality.

Rgds

Andy R

Old November 4th 03, 03:43 PM
The Natural Philosopher

RichardS wrote:

From memory, the brand/company now belongs to someone different, so
comparisons with the 25yr old tools may not be completely accurate guidance.

I believe that to be the case. Most 25 year old electrical tools knock
the spots off what you can find today anyway, irrespective of brand...

Old November 4th 03, 04:46 PM
PoP

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 14:43:17 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

I believe that to be the case. Most 25 year old electrical tools knock
the spots off what you can find today anyway, irrespective of brand...

My DeWalt radial arm saw and DeWalt bandsaw must be getting to that
sort of age now. Both have shown outstanding reliability throughout
and I would part with neither in favour of a modern day equivalent.

PoP

Old November 5th 03, 12:25 AM
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andy R wrote:
That's why I wondered about the low prices. The drill cost around 70 in
the seventies which is probably something like 300 now so there must be
some differences in quality.

Not necessarily. In the '70s, it would be hand assembled, and many of the
parts would also have been made on hand operated machinery. These days,
computer control of machinery allows far higher consistency and cheaper
production. You only have to look at how much longer car engines now last
for an example.

And, of course, they're now made using low cost far east labour.

--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Power problems and how to find a good electrician? maddening UK diy 13 October 10th 03 03:18 PM
Fake labelled Power Tools StealthUK UK diy 3 September 12th 03 11:37 PM
FS 240v Professional Power Tools jerrybuilt UK diy 1 August 21st 03 08:21 PM
Wolf tools Simon Avery UK diy 1 August 7th 03 01:43 PM
Online ordering of power tools? BigWallop UK diy 9 August 5th 03 02:53 PM