Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Wolf power tools - any good?

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
Yes indeed, many of the brands I grew up with are just names. It first
starts with getting the stuff made abroad, then the company finds
financial issues and sells out or goes to the wall. Then if the name is
not wanted by the new company it becomes a commodity in itself.
Wharfdale, Alba, Goodmans, Bush, Murphy, indeed most of the older names
are like that.
That is why when DVD players first appeared the one you found everywhere
was called Warfdale.

Even Philips for most consumer stuff is just a brand name,

Bull**** it is.

though they do keep some form of quality control over the output, the
design and building is by others.

That’s a different issue.

A lot of companies have come out of consumer electronics and just run
their names as brands. Look at your average Sony portable radio, or indeed
Grundig, which after a brief spell with Philips is now apparently used by
other companies.

I mean, why do you think you see Polaroid TVs.

As for diy, I bought some Draper hacksaw blades made in Poland, their
teeth stripped off after not much use. Too brittle.

"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
zeek wrote in
groupdirect.com:

25y ago things were made to last. No like nowadays when you happy
that they last a warranty period

At one time a name implied a manufacturing company of the same name.Now a
name can be bought.