Kalico

Default Wolf power tools - any good?

I need a new circular saw and prefer to buy cheaper but often for the type
of work I do.

Screwfix have a brand called Wolf, 160mm for only £25 with a two year
guarantee. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Makro are doing a 180mm NuTool for the same money, also with 2 year
guarantee and I have had good experience with that brand, but little things
like painted steel rather than stainless steel footplate (which the Wolf
appears to have) make it look cheaper.

Thanks for any advice,
Rob

--
Tel. 07010 703 702

Replace SPAM with ORG to reply

Andy R

"Kalico" wrote in message
I need a new circular saw and prefer to buy cheaper but often for the type
of work I do.

Screwfix have a brand called Wolf, 160mm for only £25 with a two year
guarantee. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Makro are doing a 180mm NuTool for the same money, also with 2 year
guarantee and I have had good experience with that brand, but little

things
like painted steel rather than stainless steel footplate (which the Wolf
appears to have) make it look cheaper.

I'm still using a Wolf hammer drill my father bought over 25 years ago, it's
had a lot of heavy use and is still OK. He bought various Wolf tools over
the years because of good previous experience. They used to be relatively
expensive so if they're cheap now maybe the spec's changed.

Rgds

Andy R

Kalico

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Kalico" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that Andy. I tend to think that the guarantee alone is worth it
at this price level, but there is nothing like personal recommendation.

Rob

IMM

"Kalico" wrote in message
"Andy R" wrote in message

"Kalico" wrote in message
[...]

Wolf were quality products. They were taken over by Atlas Copco I think.
The name has now re-emerged. It must be good as the previous brand had a
"quality" image, so anyone with sense would still keep it that way.

---

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andy R wrote:
I'm still using a Wolf hammer drill my father bought over 25 years ago,
it's had a lot of heavy use and is still OK. He bought various Wolf
tools over the years because of good previous experience. They used to
be relatively expensive so if they're cheap now maybe the spec's changed.

I'd say *only* the name hasn't changed.

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

RichardS

"Kalico" wrote in message
"Andy R" wrote in message

"Kalico" wrote in message
[...]

Have a google search on the ng - I think that the subject of Wolf tools came
up a couple of months ago.

From memory, the brand/company now belongs to someone different, so
comparisons with the 25yr old tools may not be completely accurate guidance.

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Andy R

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..
"Kalico" wrote in message
"Andy R" wrote in message

"Kalico" wrote in message
[...]

From memory, the brand/company now belongs to someone different, so
comparisons with the 25yr old tools may not be completely accurate

guidance.

That's why I wondered about the low prices. The drill cost around £70 in
the seventies which is probably something like £300 now so there must be
some differences in quality.

Rgds

Andy R

The Natural Philosopher

RichardS wrote:

From memory, the brand/company now belongs to someone different, so
comparisons with the 25yr old tools may not be completely accurate guidance.

I believe that to be the case. Most 25 year old electrical tools knock
the spots off what you can find today anyway, irrespective of brand...

PoP

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 14:43:17 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

I believe that to be the case. Most 25 year old electrical tools knock
the spots off what you can find today anyway, irrespective of brand...

My DeWalt radial arm saw and DeWalt bandsaw must be getting to that
sort of age now. Both have shown outstanding reliability throughout
and I would part with neither in favour of a modern day equivalent.

PoP

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andy R wrote:
That's why I wondered about the low prices. The drill cost around £70 in
the seventies which is probably something like £300 now so there must be
some differences in quality.

Not necessarily. In the '70s, it would be hand assembled, and many of the
parts would also have been made on hand operated machinery. These days,
computer control of machinery allows far higher consistency and cheaper
production. You only have to look at how much longer car engines now last
for an example.

And, of course, they're now made using low cost far east labour.

--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

NJF

Dave Plowman wrote:

Not necessarily. In the '70s, it would be hand assembled, and many of the
parts would also have been made on hand operated machinery. These days,
computer control of machinery allows far higher consistency and cheaper
production. You only have to look at how much longer car engines now last
for an example.

Hummm, Honda V-tec possibly, but not the rover 1.8 K series.....One has good
build control, the other....

RichardS

"NJF" wrote in message

Dave Plowman wrote:

Not necessarily. In the '70s, it would be hand assembled, and many of

the
parts would also have been made on hand operated machinery. These days,
computer control of machinery allows far higher consistency and cheaper
production. You only have to look at how much longer car engines now

last
for an example.

Hummm, Honda V-tec snip...

Fantastic engines. The Integra Type-R must be one of the most exhilerating
cars I have ever driven (test drive only, am afraid. got married, then it
was Volvo estate time...)

cheers
Richard
--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Colin Swan

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 12:39:42 -0000, "RichardS" noaccess@invalid
wrote:

"NJF" wrote in message

Dave Plowman wrote:

Not necessarily. In the '70s, it would be hand assembled, and many of

the
parts would also have been made on hand operated machinery. These days,
computer control of machinery allows far higher consistency and cheaper
production. You only have to look at how much longer car engines now

last
for an example.

Hummm, Honda V-tec snip...

Fantastic engines. The Integra Type-R must be one of the most exhilerating
cars I have ever driven (test drive only, am afraid. got married, then it
was Volvo estate time...)

Agreed, had a ride round Brands in one, and the tacho spent pretty
much all its time between 8000 and 9000 rpm.

--
Colin Swan
Kalico

"Colin Swan" colin AT nildram DOT net wrote in message
Fantastic engines. The Integra Type-R must be one of the most

exhilerating
cars I have ever driven (test drive only, am afraid. got married, then

it
was Volvo estate time...)

Agreed, had a ride round Brands in one, and the tacho spent pretty
much all its time between 8000 and 9000 rpm.

--
Colin Swan

Try a Suzuki GSXR motorbike for high rev fun - their engines happily run to
13500 rpm before the redline, and sweet all the way up to it too.
Rob

IMM

"NJF" wrote in message

Dave Plowman wrote:

Not necessarily. In the '70s, it would be hand assembled, and many of

the
parts would also have been made on hand operated machinery. These days,
computer control of machinery allows far higher consistency and cheaper
production. You only have to look at how much longer car engines now

last
for an example.

Hummm, Honda V-tec possibly, but not the rover 1.8 K series.....One has

good
build control, the other....

...has a crap design.

---

Dave Plowman

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Hummm, Honda V-tec possibly, but not the rover 1.8 K series.....One
has good build control, the other....

..has a crap design.

The Rover K series engine was such a good design in its day, Ford tried
to buy Rover to get hold of it. And was stopped by the government.

--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
PoP

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 00:51:30 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

The Rover K series engine was such a good design in its day, Ford tried
to buy Rover to get hold of it. And was stopped by the government.

Not so good these days is it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/reports/index.shtml

PoP

Dave Plowman

In article ,
PoP wrote:
The Rover K series engine was such a good design in its day, Ford tried
to buy Rover to get hold of it. And was stopped by the government.

Not so good these days is it?

Nothing wrong with the design. Poor quality control is a different matter.
There were design problems with the early V-6 variants, though.

--
*If only you'd use your powers for good instead of evil.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Martin Angove

In message ,
NJF wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

Not necessarily. In the '70s, it would be hand assembled, and many of the
parts would also have been made on hand operated machinery. These days,
computer control of machinery allows far higher consistency and cheaper
production. You only have to look at how much longer car engines now last
for an example.

Hummm, Honda V-tec possibly, but not the rover 1.8 K series.....One has good
build control, the other....

Just got rid of a 1.4 K-series 214 with 186,000 on the clock. Only major
engine failure was a water pump. Never even changed gaskets...

....and I know a few people with 1.6Ks in Caterham Lotus 7s... ok, ok,
they've been rebuilt a bit :-)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy R, tom cassidy wrote:
ime now 62 ive still got my old wolf cir saw in fact i rem my dad put thier
tools at the top of his list hard to beat ime sure its 30years old and still
going as strong as ever a true old work horse the old ones are the best.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ood-27009-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2018 18:14, tom cassidy wrote:
replying to Andy R, tom cassidy wrote:
ime now 62 ive still got my old wolf cir saw in fact i rem my dad put thier
tools at the top of his list hard to beat ime sure its 30years old and
still
going as strong as ever a true old work horse the old ones are the best.

Wolf of that era were well respected... sadly they exist in name only
now after orginally being acquired by Kango, then sold to Atlas-copco,
who then sold them to TTI. So they are just another of TTI's many brands
now.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 September 2018 19:15:59 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/09/2018 18:14, tom cassidy wrote:
replying to Andy R, tom cassidy wrote:
ime now 62 ive still got my old wolf cir saw in fact i rem my dad put thier
tools at the top of his list hard to beat ime sure its 30years old and
still
going as strong as ever a true old work horse the old ones are the best.

Wolf of that era were well respected... sadly they exist in name only
now after orginally being acquired by Kango, then sold to Atlas-copco,
who then sold them to TTI. So they are just another of TTI's many brands
now.

now they're just dogs.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

25y ago things were made to last. No like nowadays when you happy that they last a warranty period

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ood-27009-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

zeek wrote in
groupdirect.com:

25y ago things were made to last. No like nowadays when you happy
that they last a warranty period

At one time a name implied a manufacturing company of the same name.Now a
name can be bought.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes indeed, many of the brands I grew up with are just names. It first
starts with getting the stuff made abroad, then the company finds financial
issues and sells out or goes to the wall. Then if the name is not wanted by
the new company it becomes a commodity in itself.
Wharfdale, Alba, Goodmans, Bush, Murphy, indeed most of the older names are
like that.
That is why when DVD players first appeared the one you found everywhere
was called Warfdale.

Even Philips for most consumer stuff is just a brand name, though they do
keep some form of quality control over the output, the design and building
is by others.
A lot of companies have come out of consumer electronics and just run their
names as brands. Look at your average Sony portable radio, or indeed
Grundig, which after a brief spell with Philips is now apparently used by
other companies.

I mean, why do you think you see Polaroid TVs.

As for diy, I bought some Draper hacksaw blades made in Poland, their teeth
stripped off after not much use. Too brittle.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
zeek wrote in
groupdirect.com:

25y ago things were made to last. No like nowadays when you happy
that they last a warranty period

At one time a name implied a manufacturing company of the same name.Now a
name can be bought.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

[...]

/I loudly agree Brian - especially in the context of White Goods and now
even Motor Cars.

I guess with Electric Cars that the real "Engineering" is undertaken by
a very specialist operation paid for by many manufacturers and may not
be know to us. Making a car (or washing machine) is done using tooling,
materials and methods mandated by "Engineering" and it should not be
possible for the location of the factory, or the day of the week or the
shift to make any difference.

I recall a guy who designed process plant telling me of a Guinness Plant
in Africa. It was commissioned and all was well. But after a few weeks
the product was going downhill. It was found that, with all the best
will, operators were tampering with the process to try and make the
Guinness even better! However some of their improvements were reacting
badly with other improvements.

Likewise - do I want to but a car where it has been necessary for worker
to use a hand tool to make something fit? Would each worker do it the
same way? What is wrong with the process that would allow a process that
is out of control?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 10:40:40 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Yes indeed, many of the brands I grew up with are just names. It first
starts with getting the stuff made abroad, then the company finds
financial issues and sells out or goes to the wall. Then if the name is
not wanted by the new company it becomes a commodity in itself.
Wharfdale, Alba, Goodmans, Bush, Murphy, indeed most of the older names
are
like that.

Bush (the name) is now owned by ... Argos!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I recall that we used to use machine tools that could barely repeat to
within 10 thousands of an inch to try to make things to within a couple of
thou!
Then along came a "Process Capability" campaign. First of all challenging
whether some limits were really necessary and then embarking on some
serious machine tool maintenance and replacement.

People who take Brand names as an indicator of something need to look
carefully. Really you can only buy on "features" now as stuff is specified
now to have a certain life - like it or not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2021 10:40, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Wharfdale, Alba, Goodmans, Bush, Murphy, indeed most of the older names are
like that.

Karrimor used to be a famous Yorkshire based manufacturer of
outdoor wear and equipment. The brand now seems to appear on
cheap crap made in the far east.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2021 12:55, Andrew wrote:
On 07/03/2021 10:40, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Â* Wharfdale, Alba, Goodmans, Bush, Murphy, indeed most of the older
names are
like that.

Karrimor used to be a famous Yorkshire based manufacturer of
outdoor wear and equipment. The brand now seems to appear on
cheap crap made in the far east.

The name was bought by Sports Direct almost 20 years ago and is now used
on "Budget" outdoor items.
The old Karrimor rucksacks I come across in the charity shop I volunteer
in are usually still going strong and saleable, unlike the more recent
Karrimor trainers and boots.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Even back in the day, some brands didn't relate to a bricks and mortar
factory - but to a distributor / designer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 14:37:00 +0000, JohnP wrote:

Even back in the day, some brands didn't relate to a bricks and mortar
factory - but to a distributor / designer.

Dixons created the Matsui brand, which had no connection whatever with
Japan.

They did it because Japan had acquired a good name for reliability - in
reality the goods were made in the UK, which didn't have a good name.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
JohnP wrote:

Even back in the day, some brands didn't relate to a bricks and mortar
factory - but to a distributor / designer.

All this interest over a seventeen year old post!!!!!

--
John Bryan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I nearly interupted when I heard an elederly couple looking at a Polaroid
TV in a supermarket. "Well they make good cameras" one of them said!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article pdirect.com,
zeek wrote:
25y ago things were made to last. No like nowadays when you happy that
they last a warranty period

Think you'll find it was a lot longer than 25 years ago that Wolf ceased
to exist.

And you might just find out the proportion of an average weekly income it
took to buy one.

--
*It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 14:37:00 +0000, JohnP wrote:

Even back in the day, some brands didn't relate to a bricks and mortar
factory - but to a distributor / designer.

Dixons created the Matsui brand, which had no connection whatever with
Japan.

They did it because Japan had acquired a good name for reliability - in
reality the goods were made in the UK, which didn't have a good name.

and there was 'Minari'. Made in Scotland so possibly 'Machinari'?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article pdirect.com,
zeek wrote:
25y ago things were made to last. No like nowadays when you happy that
they last a warranty period

Think you'll find it was a lot longer than 25 years ago that Wolf ceased
to exist.

And you might just find out the proportion of an average weekly income it
took to buy one.

Most days I get an email offering Wolf branded something.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bull**** it is.

though they do keep some form of quality control over the output, the
design and building is by others.

That’s a different issue.

A lot of companies have come out of consumer electronics and just run
their names as brands. Look at your average Sony portable radio, or indeed
Grundig, which after a brief spell with Philips is now apparently used by
other companies.

I mean, why do you think you see Polaroid TVs.

As for diy, I bought some Draper hacksaw blades made in Poland, their
teeth stripped off after not much use. Too brittle.

"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
zeek wrote in
groupdirect.com:

25y ago things were made to last. No like nowadays when you happy
that they last a warranty period

At one time a name implied a manufacturing company of the same name.Now a
name can be bought.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
pdirect.com,
zeek wrote:
25y ago things were made to last. No like nowadays when you happy that
they last a warranty period

Think you'll find it was a lot longer than 25 years ago that Wolf ceased
to exist.

And you might just find out the proportion of an average weekly income it
took to buy one.

Most days I get an email offering Wolf branded something.

I still have a Wolf elec drill that belonged to my f-in-law must be over
60years old
solid alloy body and still working ok

Power problems and how to find a good electrician? maddening UK diy 13 October 10th 03 03:18 PM
Fake labelled Power Tools StealthUK UK diy 3 September 12th 03 11:37 PM
FS 240v Professional Power Tools jerrybuilt UK diy 1 August 21st 03 08:21 PM
Wolf tools Simon Avery UK diy 1 August 7th 03 01:43 PM
Online ordering of power tools? BigWallop UK diy 9 August 5th 03 02:53 PM