Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling concrete

I'm about to drill (SDS drill, new 8mm masonry bit) into one of the concrete
panels of my sectional garage. In the past, drilling holes through the wall
has always resulted in the inner surface breaking away, sometimes quite
extensively, but this time I'll be drilling down through the bottom of the
panel and into the garage's concrete base (to fit securing bolts).

Is it safe to assume that because the underside of the panel is in
close(ish) contact with the base, there's less risk of the concrete
breaking?

Any hints for drilling this sort of material will be gratefully received.
Many thanks,

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it safe to assume that because the underside of the panel is in
close(ish) contact with the base, there's less risk of the concrete
breaking?

"Close-ish" is not good enough. A piece of wood in very firm, uniform
contact with the far side might do the trick. Otherwise, is there any
way you can accurately measure where your breakthrough point will be,
and back drill any oversize hole?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 14:31:59 +0100, Bert Coules wrote:

In the past, drilling holes through the wall has always resulted in the
inner surface breaking away, sometimes quite extensively,

Function of an SDS when it break through if you are pushing the
drill, think about how an SDS drill works... Once you get close to
full depth stop pushing and take it easy, no gurantee that you won't
get some spalling but it shoud be much reduced.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 14:31:59 +0100, Bert Coules wrote:

In the past, drilling holes through the wall has always resulted in
the inner surface breaking away, sometimes quite extensively,

Function of an SDS when it break through if you are pushing the
drill, think about how an SDS drill works... Once you get close to
full depth stop pushing and take it easy, no gurantee that you won't
get some spalling but it shoud be much reduced.

+1 or even change from an SDS to a normal drill, only using steady
force.

--
Paul - xxx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think that maybe I didn't make myself
clear: the vertical panel is standing on the concrete base, and I'm
intending to drill down through the panel and into the base. So in effect
I'll have a straight-through hole (in the panel) and a blind hole (in the
base). I'm hoping that because the base is up against the underside of the
panel, it will prevent any spalling in the latter (and thanks to Paul for
the correct term, which had eluded me).

I'm going to try it later this afternoon, so we'll see...

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2011 14:31, Bert Coules wrote:
I'm about to drill (SDS drill, new 8mm masonry bit) into one of the
concrete panels of my sectional garage. In the past, drilling holes
through the wall has always resulted in the inner surface breaking away,
sometimes quite extensively, but this time I'll be drilling down through
the bottom of the panel and into the garage's concrete base (to fit
securing bolts).

Is it safe to assume that because the underside of the panel is in
close(ish) contact with the base, there's less risk of the concrete
breaking?

Any hints for drilling this sort of material will be gratefully
received. Many thanks,

Bert

Avoid going near edges for a start. If drilling through, get someone to
firmly hold a large lump of timber over the breakout point, that cuts
down the damage.

Try a wooden wedge driven in under the panel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Dave and everyone else who responded. I've done this now: the
drilling went OK, and if there was any breakout under the panel it must at
least have been contained with nowhere to go: there's no sign of any loose
chips or other damage either inside or out, and the holes weren't impeded in
any way.

The hardest part of the job was driving home the fixing bolts - Multi-Mondi
hex heads from Screwfix. I had to use a small socket-and-ratchet tool and
the last few turns needed quite an effort. Indeed, the last few turns on
the first bolt proved impossible until I realised that I hadn't drilled the
hole deep enough...

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote:
Thanks Dave and everyone else who responded. I've done this now: the
drilling went OK, and if there was any breakout under the panel it must
at least have been contained with nowhere to go: there's no sign of any
loose chips or other damage either inside or out, and the holes weren't
impeded in any way.

The hardest part of the job was driving home the fixing bolts -
Multi-Mondi hex heads from Screwfix. I had to use a small
socket-and-ratchet tool and the last few turns needed quite an effort.
Indeed, the last few turns on the first bolt proved impossible until I
realised that I hadn't drilled the hole deep enough...

Bert

next time you could try drilling the smallest size possible then drill
from both sides with the bigger drill.

Drilling problems into concrete mo UK diy 79 June 9th 10 02:05 PM
Drilling concrete linkuk UK diy 68 May 27th 06 03:17 PM
drilling in new concrete Comboverfish Home Repair 5 April 10th 05 07:57 PM
drilling concrete Eric Home Repair 7 April 6th 05 06:04 AM
Drilling Concrete Lintels Jon Harris UK diy 11 August 31st 04 09:24 PM