Eric

Default drilling concrete

I need to cut 2 holes in my concrete patio, each one will have
a 4x4 stuck in it and then concreted up again so i have a sturdy post.
I'm putting in a fence and gate on one end of my patio so i can let
my daughter out to play there.
I need these holes to be big enough to allow me to move the post a bit
to get things to line up right (6" holes?)
Anyway, whats the easiest way to do this? What if i hire a contractor, how
much do you think that would that cost me?
Thanks,
Eric

--
57 channels and nothin's on

Fred

"Eric" wrote in message
I need to cut 2 holes in my concrete patio, each one will have
a 4x4 stuck in it and then concreted up again so i have a sturdy post.
I'm putting in a fence and gate on one end of my patio so i can let
my daughter out to play there.
I need these holes to be big enough to allow me to move the post a bit
to get things to line up right (6" holes?)
Anyway, whats the easiest way to do this? What if i hire a contractor, how
much do you think that would that cost me?
Thanks,
Eric

--
57 channels and nothin's on

Just did this two weeks ago for my new gate with 4x6s. I drill small holes
around a 12" circle with a sds rotary hammer but I couldn't bust out the
concrete with it. I brought in a breaker hammer (jackhammer) the next day to
break through - 6" of solid concrete slab was the reason. The holes were
2.6' deep done with one of those hand held post hole diggers that turns
straight down. Contractors wanted $400 per hole! No thanks. It went pretty
fast, about 4 hours for both holes - so I paid myself $200 per hour.

m Ransley

Rent an electric demolition hammer -jack hammer for 40$ it will go quick

George Lucas

"Eric" wrote in message
I need to cut 2 holes in my concrete patio, each one will have
a 4x4 stuck in it and then concreted up again so i have a sturdy post.
I'm putting in a fence and gate on one end of my patio so i can let
my daughter out to play there.
I need these holes to be big enough to allow me to move the post a bit
to get things to line up right (6" holes?)
Anyway, whats the easiest way to do this? What if i hire a contractor, how
much do you think that would that cost me?
Thanks,
Eric

I don't know if you can rent one of these or not, but the easiest way to do
it would be a Portable Electric Concrete Core Drill:
http://www.durhamgeo.com/testing/con...nd-coring.html
(third one down). I used one a lot when I worked for a materials testing
company and had to take asphalt cores to check for road thickness and
density. Hook up some kind of hand-pumpable water supply tank, plug it in
and it would make short work of your problem. It looks like this model can
drill holls up to 10" in diameter. Just make sure to keep pumping so it
doesn't run out of water and once the water turns brown you've hit dirt.We
had special tongs designed to remove the core once it's cut, but I'm sure
you could figure something out to grab it and pull it out.

Greg M

M.Paul

Eric,
Have you considered drilling 2 small holes for each post and using a Simpson
metal 4x4 mount. These are sturdy and they also keep the posts about an
inch high off the concrete. I think that this would be easier to install
and maintain than digging 2 large holes and setting in concrete. You could
use a standard drill with a masonary bit. I bet the bit and hardware would
cost less than $20 dollars and it would probably take you less than an hour
to drill the holes, install the hardware, and setup the posts.
Good luck.
M.Paul

"Eric" wrote in message
I need to cut 2 holes in my concrete patio, each one will have
a 4x4 stuck in it and then concreted up again so i have a sturdy post.
I'm putting in a fence and gate on one end of my patio so i can let
my daughter out to play there.
I need these holes to be big enough to allow me to move the post a bit
to get things to line up right (6" holes?)
Anyway, whats the easiest way to do this? What if i hire a contractor, how
much do you think that would that cost me?
Thanks,
Eric

--
57 channels and nothin's on

SteveB

"Eric" wrote in message
I need to cut 2 holes in my concrete patio, each one will have
a 4x4 stuck in it and then concreted up again so i have a sturdy post.
I'm putting in a fence and gate on one end of my patio so i can let
my daughter out to play there.
I need these holes to be big enough to allow me to move the post a bit
to get things to line up right (6" holes?)
Anyway, whats the easiest way to do this? What if i hire a contractor, how
much do you think that would that cost me?
Thanks,
Eric

--
57 channels and nothin's on

I have done this to mount posts:

Use a 3" x 3" x .120" steel tube post. Weld it to a piece of 12" x 12" x
1/4" plate with four holes, one on each corner. RedHead it to the concrete.
Quick, simple, easy.

Steve

HeyBub

George Lucas wrote:

I don't know if you can rent one of these or not, but the easiest way
to do it would be a Portable Electric Concrete Core Drill:
http://www.durhamgeo.com/testing/con...nd-coring.html
(third one down). I used one a lot when I worked for a materials
testing company and had to take asphalt cores to check for road
thickness and density. Hook up some kind of hand-pumpable water
supply tank, plug it in and it would make short work of your problem.
It looks like this model can drill holls up to 10" in diameter. Just
make sure to keep pumping so it doesn't run out of water and once the
water turns brown you've hit dirt.We had special tongs designed to
remove the core once it's cut, but I'm sure you could figure
something out to grab it and pull it out.

You can rent them.

After your postholes, drill a hole in a closet for installing a below-floor
safe.

Gideon

Eric,

If you wish to do this youself, consider the following purchases:
1) Homier SDS drill - $19.99
2) Additional SDS drill bits - about $20.00 from Homier or Harbor Freight

Inexpensive tools work great for occasional small projects.

Good luck,
Gideon

Drilling Concrete Lintels Jon Harris UK diy 11 August 31st 04 09:24 PM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Ownership 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Help: Drilling through concrete block and hitting resistance! Mark Duncan UK diy 5 August 25th 03 01:51 PM
Help with concrete! Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 16th 03 04:40 AM