George Lucas

"Eric" wrote in message
I need to cut 2 holes in my concrete patio, each one will have
a 4x4 stuck in it and then concreted up again so i have a sturdy post.
I'm putting in a fence and gate on one end of my patio so i can let
my daughter out to play there.
I need these holes to be big enough to allow me to move the post a bit
to get things to line up right (6" holes?)
Anyway, whats the easiest way to do this? What if i hire a contractor, how
much do you think that would that cost me?
Thanks,
Eric

I don't know if you can rent one of these or not, but the easiest way to do
it would be a Portable Electric Concrete Core Drill:
http://www.durhamgeo.com/testing/con...nd-coring.html
(third one down). I used one a lot when I worked for a materials testing
company and had to take asphalt cores to check for road thickness and
density. Hook up some kind of hand-pumpable water supply tank, plug it in
and it would make short work of your problem. It looks like this model can
drill holls up to 10" in diameter. Just make sure to keep pumping so it
doesn't run out of water and once the water turns brown you've hit dirt.We
had special tongs designed to remove the core once it's cut, but I'm sure
you could figure something out to grab it and pull it out.

Greg M