Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling concrete

On 18/06/2011 14:31, Bert Coules wrote:
I'm about to drill (SDS drill, new 8mm masonry bit) into one of the
concrete panels of my sectional garage. In the past, drilling holes
through the wall has always resulted in the inner surface breaking away,
sometimes quite extensively, but this time I'll be drilling down through
the bottom of the panel and into the garage's concrete base (to fit
securing bolts).

Is it safe to assume that because the underside of the panel is in
close(ish) contact with the base, there's less risk of the concrete
breaking?

Any hints for drilling this sort of material will be gratefully
received. Many thanks,

Bert

Avoid going near edges for a start. If drilling through, get someone to
firmly hold a large lump of timber over the breakout point, that cuts
down the damage.

Try a wooden wedge driven in under the panel.