Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default T12 tubes, are direct replacements available?

I have a lot of 4ft and 5ft T12 fluorescent tubes around the garage
and in my study. It seems these are beginning to become 'old
fashioned'.

Should I stock up now or can the newer/better T8 (or even smaller)
tubes be used in the same fittings? All the fittings have electronic
starters already and a couple are high frequency ones.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
* * * * writes:

I have a lot of 4ft and 5ft T12 fluorescent tubes around the garage
and in my study. *It seems these are beginning to become 'old
fashioned'.
Should I stock up now or can the newer/better T8 (or even smaller)
tubes be used in the same fittings? *All the fittings have electronic
starters already and a couple are high frequency ones.

Almost all old T12 fittings will happily take T8 tubes. But you said
its tubes you've got, or do you have both tubes and fittings?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tabby wrote:
In article ,
Â* Â* Â* Â* writes:

I have a lot of 4ft and 5ft T12 fluorescent tubes around the garage
and in my study. Â*It seems these are beginning to become 'old
fashioned'.
Should I stock up now or can the newer/better T8 (or even smaller)
tubes be used in the same fittings? Â*All the fittings have electronic
starters already and a couple are high frequency ones.

Almost all old T12 fittings will happily take T8 tubes. But you said
its tubes you've got, or do you have both tubes and fittings?

Existing lighting fittings in my two garage/workshops. Having looked
it turns out that most of them are already T8, there's only a couple
of T12s. I'll just try swapping tubes to make sure the ones with T12s
work with T8s and then I can get T8 replacements as necessary.

.... BTW whoever came up with the wonderful concept of measuring
fluorescent tube diameters in eights of an inch? :-)

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 11:17*am, wrote:
Tabby wrote:
In article ,
* * * * writes:

[...]

If the T12ed fittings are the same length as the T8s, there wont be
any problem using T8s in them.

NT