Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outlet replacements

On Sep 21, 3:45 pm, Tony wrote:
I wanted to replace the outlets in my house. They are 40 years old and
many of them are in pretty sad shape. They work, but they've been
painted over and are just at the end of their useful life.

I live in Virginia, do I need to get this kind of work inspected? Do
I need a permit to do it?

Tony Giaccone

Ok, so here's the deal. I started and all the outlets I've replaced so
far are grounded. So I'm replacing with similar outlets, bought at
HD. Each room has one outlet thats switched, BWG coming in and out
and a third line thats BWRG going out. I'm cool with that. I'm also a
suspender and belt guy. I have a multi-meter and I throw the 2
breakers for all the outlets and lights on the second floor, then test
each outlet with the multi-meter before I start to replace the outlet,
on the switches, I try to get in and check the switch to make sure
there's no power.

Most of my electrical experience is with DC, not AC, so I started out
a little confused, but I'm getting the hang of it. However, I've come
across one outlet that's got me stumped.

The black wire (hot) measured to ground shows 120V. Black measured to
white shows about 80V and white to ground shows 40. WTF? Anyone have
any idea what might be causing this?

Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
On Sep 21, 3:45 pm, Tony wrote:
[...]

Hi,Are you using a DVM?
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Tony Hwang wrote:
Tony wrote:

On Sep 21, 3:45 pm, Tony wrote:

[...]

If he's only got 80 V between black and white, that's not the issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
On Sep 21, 3:45 pm, Tony wrote:
[...]

Yeah, it's an AC thing which you may never have encountered in fooling with
DC. It's called "inductive coupling" wherein current flow is induced in
nearby components (wire). Your meter is of sufficiently high impedance (AC
resistance) to detect this minuscule (like nano-amps) current flow.

Ignore the reading.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Tony wrote:
On Sep 21, 3:45 pm, Tony wrote:
[...]

Do not ignore that it seems that you neutral is not true neutral it maybe
used
some place as a ground and if this have anything to do with three way switch
that you may have voltage drop across the load whatever that may be.
do not ignore that power use if you most light bulb with pig tells across
see
if is going to light up partially. good luck
Tony