Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outlet replacements

Tony wrote:
I wanted to replace the outlets in my house. They are 40 years old and
many of them are in pretty sad shape. They work, but they've been
painted over and are just at the end of their useful life.

I live in Virginia, do I need to get this kind of work inspected? Do
I need a permit to do it?

Tony Giaccone

Most places will let a home owner do their own work without permits and
inspections as long as it is just replacing existing components.

Are the current outlets grounded '3 hole' type?
Do you have copper or aluminum wiring?

If they are not grounded it complicates things a bit as you will need to
add grounds or use GFCI outlets.

If AL you will need to buy $pecial outlets and connector$ for AL wires.

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

Kevin Ricks wrote:
Tony wrote:
I wanted to replace the outlets in my house. They are 40 years old and
many of them are in pretty sad shape. They work, but they've been
painted over and are just at the end of their useful life.

I live in Virginia, do I need to get this kind of work inspected? Do
I need a permit to do it?

Tony Giaccone

Most places will let a home owner do their own work without permits and
inspections as long as it is just replacing existing components.

Are the current outlets grounded '3 hole' type?
Do you have copper or aluminum wiring?

If they are not grounded it complicates things a bit as you will need to
add grounds or use GFCI outlets.

If AL you will need to buy $pecial outlets and connector$ for AL wires.

Kevin

Totally agree. You can probably do all the replacing, but you might want
to know what to look for in case there are (and there always are) problems
like Al wire, grounding problems, etc...

So, I don't have a clue what the bylaws are in your area, but a good wiring
book from the library would be worth it (free) to have as a reference as
you go...

Posted to alt.home.repair

My suggestion-- turn off ALL the power to the house when you do it.
Because I discovered that one double outlet was on two different
circuits...

If you don't do that, you can plug in a radio and flip the breakers
until the radio goes off.

Another suggestion-- inside the cover plate write the number of the
breaker that powers that outlet. It could come in handy in the
future.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Shaun Eli" wrote in message
My suggestion-- turn off ALL the power to the house when you do it.
Because I discovered that one double outlet was on two different
circuits...

If you don't do that, you can plug in a radio and flip the breakers
until the radio goes off.

Another suggestion-- inside the cover plate write the number of the
breaker that powers that outlet. It could come in handy in the
future.

Now that's a good idea.