Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default T12 tubes, are direct replacements available?

Andy Wade wrote:
On 04/03/2011 17:53, wrote:

Coo, you're right, the tubes in my HF fittings *are* T8 tubes

Be aware that some early HF ballasts (certainly the Philips ones up to
around the late 80s) require special tubes. The correct tubes are
krypton-free triphosphor and are marked with a lower power rating - e.g.
50W for a 5 ft. tube. The tube marking will be something like
TLD50HF/xx, where xx is the colour temperature code. I don't know
whether these tubes are still available.

Later HF ballasts are 'krypton optimised' and use normal tubes, running
at less than the marked wattage.

Mine have Osram 58 watt tubes in them, they're the ones originally
supplied with the fittings.

--
Chris Green