Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default T12 tubes, are direct replacements available?

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
writes:
I have a lot of 4ft and 5ft T12 fluorescent tubes around the garage
and in my study. It seems these are beginning to become 'old
fashioned'.

No, they begun to become old fashioned in 1980.

OK! :-)

Should I stock up now or can the newer/better T8 (or even smaller)
tubes be used in the same fittings? All the fittings have electronic
starters already and a couple are high frequency ones.

T12 and high frequency control gear come from two different generations.
Are you sure?

Coo, you're right, the tubes in my HF fittings *are* T8 tubes

You can swap in T8's where you have series ballasts:
4' 40W T12 - 36W T8
5' 65W T12 - 58W T8
5' 80W T12 - no T8 replacement, but that would be a very old fitting,
and probably bayonet cap tubes.

OK, thank you.

--
Chris Green